Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

american express cardholders - a question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjurabong

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: american express cardholders - a question Reply with quote

Has anyone done a cash withdrawal on an Amex card ( not in an ATM, but at an Amex representative bank or travel office) in Seoul? Is it possible?
I don't have a pin for using the card in a machine. I've done this in London, just had to show my passport at the Amex office. I'm wondering if it's the same deal here. Any feedback greatly appreciated. Very Happy
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done it a few times. Went to the office, showed passport, etc.. Last time was in January of this year.
jjurabong

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the reply - that's good to know. Where is the office located?

Thanks!
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

American Express Bank, Ltd.
Tel: 02-566-7091

�� 1588-8100 toll free

����� ������ �Z�� 157

http://travel.americanexpress.com/travel/personal/resources/tso/

The office has moved and "merged" with Samsung in korea.
Click on the above link...get a korean to call them and get the info you need for their location and ATM.
Swiss James

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to find the Amex office on 3 separate occasions- the directions they give are terrible and if you call and try and speak to them in english they'll hang up.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The office is at Hongdae station in the building to the right hand side of Outback Steakhouse. 8th floor I think? It's the main Samsung Card office for Seoul, I believe.
Swiss James

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Chincha? Then why did they make me traipse all the way to Gangnam at a ridiculous hour on Saturday morning only to be left in the middle of the road going "WHY ME GOD!!!? WHY ME!!?!!???!"

Hmm, cheers for the tip
jjurabong

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cash advance accomplished! Here's some info on how:

You must go to Lotte dept. store in Myong-dong. They have a card centre on the 12th floor. As soon as you walk in, on the right, there is a sign that says in both Korean and English, "Amex cash advances/card replacements". The cashier spoke English. I just showed my card and passport, which they took a copy of. Important info though - there is a limit of 500 US dollars per month. I was surprised as I have a gold card, and was wanting to take out 850,000 won. They would only let me have 570,000.

I found all this out by going to the Samsung card office in Hongdae an above poster mentioned. It seems that Amex is now run by Lotte card, not Samsung. However, the Samsung girl was super-nice in finding out for me the needed info.

Oh, as a side note - my card is about to expire and my new one will of course be sent to my home address in Canada. However, they told me that if you contact your home country's Amex office and ask them to send your info to the Korean card centre, they can make a card for you here.
jjurabong

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post - sorry. Mods please delete. Thanks.
redd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone out there know if you can pay your Cdn AMEX card at the office mentioned? I've never tried to pay my Cdn account outside of Canada. I've noticed that just cause things make sense to me, doesn't mean you can do it.
Thanks muchly!!
jjurabong

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - I used to pay my Canadian Amex bill at American Express offices in England . I don't know about here, but they do have an English-speaking rep there who could probably tell you. When I got my new card activated, they put me on the phone with Amex head office to verify my identity, so I'm guessing they're connected to handle all Amex-related stuff.

It was all unexpectedly easy.....
Swiss James

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why don't you just pay it online?
pk_00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjurabong wrote:
Cash advance accomplished! Here's some info on how:

You must go to Lotte dept. store in Myong-dong. They have a card centre on the 12th floor. As soon as you walk in, on the right, there is a sign that says in both Korean and English, "Amex cash advances/card replacements". The cashier spoke English. I just showed my card and passport, which they took a copy of. Important info though - there is a limit of 500 US dollars per month. I was surprised as I have a gold card, and was wanting to take out 850,000 won. They would only let me have 570,000.

I found all this out by going to the Samsung card office in Hongdae an above poster mentioned. It seems that Amex is now run by Lotte card, not Samsung. However, the Samsung girl was super-nice in finding out for me the
needed info.

Sorry for reviving such an old thread but does anyone know if the place mentioned above still exists? Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: