Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

vladivostok and kamchatka for the vacation?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohahakehte

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: vladivostok and kamchatka for the vacation? Reply with quote

i might be going there...anyone else?
JacktheCat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vladivostok is on my shortlist of the world's worst cities. Avoid it at all costs.

The Kamchatka Peninsula sounds pretty cool, though pricey.
ohahakehte

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wuts so bad bout' vladivostok?
Crois

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's bloody hard to spell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JacktheCat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohahakehte wrote:

Imagine a Siberian version of Queens, New York full of rundown communist-era concrete eyesore buildings, run by crocked politians and inhabited by mafioso types, crack whores, and thieves.

Still its better than Lagos, Nigera.
ohahakehte

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JacktheCat wrote:
ohahakehte wrote:

Imagine a Siberian version of Queens, New York full of rundown communist-era concrete eyesore buildings, run by crocked politians and inhabited by mafioso types, crack whores, and thieves.

haha....in other words, a place everyone should see at least once if, for nothing else, to confirm funny stereotypes about post-communist russia. a friend and i have a continuous running impression of russians of today who want ruthless capitalism for the money, but still insist on very tight controls on freedom of speech, movement, etc.
Zed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogbert posted some pictures a few months back but they seem to be gone now.
dogbert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too bad.

I didn't save my posts, so I can't repost those.

I assume you're talking about Vladivostok Avia's package. The price has really gone up this year.

Still, I can't recommend it highly enough. I don't know what the other poster's problem with Vladivostok was, but I enjoyed it a lot. In any event, Kamchatka is where you'll spend most of your time and I'm telling you, it is pristine and unspoiled there. Just gorgeous.

When I have time, I'll post more details if you like and put some photos on photobucket.
ohahakehte

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogbert wrote:
Still, I can't recommend it highly enough. I don't know what the other poster's problem with Vladivostok was, but I enjoyed it a lot. In any event, Kamchatka is where you'll spend most of your time and I'm telling you, it is pristine and unspoiled there. Just gorgeous.

ya, if i go ill be going to vlad + kamchatka. and yes its very pricey but i figure how often do i get to go to siberia? i assume that kamchatka will look a lot like the NWT or the yukon in canada? but it sounds like fun and im looking forward
dogbert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohahakehte wrote:
dogbert wrote:

ya, if i go ill be going to vlad + kamchatka. and yes its very pricey but i figure how often do i get to go to siberia? i assume that kamchatka will look a lot like the NWT or the yukon in canada? but it sounds like fun and im looking forward

By all means, go!

Vladivostok is hardly a hole:

Fire and ice in July:

Volcanoes!

In this bay, I saw huge salmon jumping all around our boat:

A river runs through it:

Mars?

ohahakehte

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool! thanks for the pics!
nev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very interested in travelling around Siberia next year. Is it possible to do without spending a fortune? Kamchatka sounds great, but it seems that to get the most out of it, you have to take a fairly pricey tour. Is budget living feasible?

How is transport in that part of the world? Can you get to Kamchatka by any other means tham flight? Is there much of a road network in Siberia?
dogbert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only feasible way is to fly there. There are a number of Russian airlines that offer service to all sorts of podunk places in Siberia.

I noticed that roads turned to gravel not far outside the capital, so I wouldn't expect it to be easy to travel by road. Also, the land bridge is quite a long ways to the north.

BTW, it was a very relaxed low budget tour in Kamchatka. We just loaded up a couple of Toyota Corollas and stopped when we found a good campsite. None of the helicopter tours or those big six-wheeled bus-like things.
ohahakehte

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nev wrote:
I'm very interested in travelling around Siberia next year. Is it possible to do without spending a fortune? Kamchatka sounds great, but it seems that to get the most out of it, you have to take a fairly pricey tour. Is budget living feasible?

How is transport in that part of the world? Can you get to Kamchatka by any other means tham flight? Is there much of a road network in Siberia?

im sure the answer to most of those questions is yes...but when you're an english teacher in seoul and only have 7 days for vacation, your options and resources for a thrifty and fun vacation are reduced. normally i wouldnt do a package tour anywhere, but i dont have the time, the grasp of russian language or the connections to do a different tour of siberia
dogbert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, as you probably already know, traveling on your own in Russia can be a bit of hassle because of visa and registration requirements. That takes a lot of extra time to plan up front.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: