Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Restaurant Guide to Korea
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jove

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Restaurant Guide to Korea Reply with quote

I have found few things better in life than a leisurely meal with friends at a restaurant with great food and a warm atmosphere. So, I�ve spent a bit of my time searching for good restaurants of Korean and international cuisine.

I am proposing a thread where we might recommend our favorite restaurants. And since there is little use in recommending a restaurant, but leaving out directions to find the place, please give at least general locations and hints of how to find your joints.

I�ll start with some of my favorites and since I live in Seoul, they will be centered in that area, but I travel in Korea a bit, so feel free to throw in restaurants from where ever you are living.

My favorites for non-Korean restaurants are:
Arrow Bali � an Indonesian place above Pattaya in Itaewon (half-block down from 3 Alleys Pub, behind the Hamilton Hotel). Their satays are very good and the peanut sauce wonderful. Prices are reasonable; usually less than 20,000 won a meal without a lot of drinks.
Arrow Mogul � just up the road from Bali, behind the Hamilton�the food is good and the atmosphere is conducive to long, lingering meals. The curries are tasty and the tandooris are lovely. A bit more expensive, but worth the occasional splurge.
Arrow Bangkok � once again, this restaurant is in Itaewon. It�s around the corner from the Loft and down the road from the King Club. The restaurant is on the third floor above the XO club and the Paradise restaurant. I think it�s fairly new and I�ve only been once, but my friend�s Thai curry was to die for and my spicy chicken and onion dish, while not in the league of the curry was very nice. I also had a fried banana desert in a custard sauce that was pure heaven. The place was basically dead on a Saturday night, so please give this place a try so it sticks around. It�s also very reasonable priced (12,000 for most chicken entrees and 15,000 for beef).

My favorite Korean foods are Dalgk Galbi (chicken stirfry in a cast-iron dish at your table with spicy red sauce and plenty of dak and veggies), Chim Dalgk (a chicken stew with potatoes, onions, and glass noodles in a soy-based sauce that�s spicy and slightly sweet), and Shobu Shobu (the Korean version of Mongolian hot-pots). Beyond the wonderful tastes of these dishes, the great things about them are the must be eaten in groups.
Arrow There is a pretty good restaurant in BongChon-dong that serves both Dalgk Galbi and Chim Dalgk. Take exit 2 at the Seoul National University subway station (line 2) and walk about 100 meters up the street, where you will see a black and orange sign, which is the restaurant (its below the PizzaBell).
Arrow The best Dalgk Galbi is in Gangnam although I�m breaking my own request and can�t give directions. Go out exit 5 or 6 I think and ask around�most of the street vendors can point you in the right direction.
Arrow Shobu Shobu can be found in Apkujeong and other places�it�s great for beef lovers and makes a festive meal with people getting their chopsticks entangled while dipping the raw beef into a broth for cooking.

So, there it is. Please contribute what you will. By the way, if anyone knows of a halfway decent Mexican restaurant (and recommending Pancho�s will only elicit a very loud scoff, while showing your ignorance of even passable Mexican food Evil or Very Mad ), please tell me�I�ve been having burrito and mole` cravings. Or better still, if you�re a beautiful Latina with your grandmother�s recipe for mole`, I promise to gather the ingredients you need and do all the chopping and grinding if you�ll put the sauce together. Wink

Bye,
Jove
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tip Jove. I was never a big itaewon guy, but i think i'd better hit the restaurants before i go.

hmmm, favorite korean foods?

Mr. Pizza! just kidding.

I like traditional Korean meals. You know where no one big dish comes out, but a variety of tasty dishes along with a soup and rice.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: I dont get it!! Reply with quote

why do koreans think charging a lot for a dish is the way to go!!
I mean 13.000 - 20.000 for a dish>???
NOWAY!!! normal people are not going there!!! why because its foreign, foreign yeah right!!! local produce made foreign style..
sometimes me and friends want to eat something, we say lets go here do the math and say NO!! lets go to samguepsal and order 6 portions with a dozen beers instead!!
and thats what the majority of teachers are saying!!
IM spending 20.000 for a dish even though I would love to just not going to.. and many people think like me.. so if restaurant owners would think more bums in the chairs at 8000-10.000 won is far better than 4 people at 20.000 ...
koreans need to drop the price on western food make it competitve with local food then they will see profits
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foreign-food restaurants charge a premium because they're "exotic". That's why you have the $20 potato skins at TGIFs and Bennegans. I appreciate the Indian restaurants - they're expensive back in Canada too for the same reason, so I'm used to overlooking the price because of my love for Indian food.

And Korean restaurants in North America charge the same thing - a Korean restaurant in Halifax, Canada, used to charge $15 for bibimbap.
kiddblount

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

korean food is obviously cheaper here than in the states, but $15 for a bowl of bibimbap is nuts . . .
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twenty Dollar bottles of Soju available here in Ottawa.

Anyone want me to pick up a few bottles before I head back to Korea?

LOL
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good restaurants? But that's a trade secret...

...anyways, I've been dragged to Gangnam a few times now for food, and found that the area doesn't have very good food. Maybe I just always hit up the wrong restaurants.
Jove

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys...I think you're missing the point. I'm just asking you to tell me and others about the restaurants you like. I enjoy Korean food and the inexpensive prices, but several times a month I like to splurge a bit for some different tastes. I don't know about you, but I enjoy a bit of variety in my diet and that may include kimchi or not, but I don't want it at every meal.

As to prices, if I managed a decent meal for under $20 at home, I would celebrate not complain.

Also, if you should travel to Andong, make a special effort to find the Chim Dalgk restaurant in the open market. It is supposedly the originator of the recipe and its the best I've had. Just ask anyone in the market and they'll point you in the right direction.

Jove
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey guys...I think you're missing the point. I'm just asking you to tell me and others about the restaurants you like.

That's the thing about discussion boards. Conversations go in directions you might not have anticipated. Smile
Canuck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Restaurant Guide to Korea Reply with quote

Jove wrote:
My favorite Korean foods are ... and Shobu Shobu (the Korean version of Mongolian hot-pots).

Shabu Shabu isnt Korean. Its Japanese.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Dalgk Galbi is where it was created: Chuncheon. Just go downtown and you'll see a long walkway/alley filled with just Dalgk Galbi restaurants. I have yet to have found really good dalgk galbi in seoul but will be sure to check out the couple places you mentioned jove.

15 bucks for freaking bibimbap? is that canadian dollars??
The Lemon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
15 bucks for freaking bibimbap? is that canadian dollars??

Yup. You don't want to know what they were charging for kimbap and dukboki.
Pets wonderland

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great thread!

Unfortunately, I think the food in seoul isn't that great. I went to jolla-namdo province over the weekend and the food was just fantastic! Huge servings, loads of variety, and good-old fashioned service, and cheap to boot!

In Seoul, I can think of one sashimi place I like and it's near the arts centre in seocho dong- very fresh sashimi and good side dishes. There's also a kal-guk-soo place in mokdong that specializes in potato soo-je-bee. Sorry, I forgot the names of these places but they're pretty easy to find.

Keep up the good work!
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm, sashimi, that's good stuff. I went to a great sashimi restaurant in Gangnam, exit #6 I believe, up by the 7-11. I don't remember the name of the restaurant and its VERY pricey. A friend took me there and the check was over 100,000 for just the two of us- I went into shock when I saw it.
helly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!!! My first post!!

My favorite Korean restaurants are in Samcheong-dong, just past Kyungbuk Palace. Go past the palace along the right side wall (if you're coming up Sejongno), veer right at the book cafe and you'll head down a nice leafy street.

Sujebi: The best in Seoul. Dirty place but PACKED at all times, great food. Looked for Sujebi Jip (in Hangeul) and lines out the door and you've found it.

2 good Hanjungshik places, just across from the Sujebi Jip, up a couple stair cases.

Darakchon: Excellent Kimchi-Mandu Jeonggol and Nokdujeon. Up at the end of the road before it heads off towards the right, the restaurant is on the left.

Talkkalbi: I know a great place in Gangnam, and have to agree that Chuncheon is by far superior to anything else.

Kuksu Jeongol: Shinsegae Department Store, Express Bus Terminal, 9th floor?

Non-Korean:

Ganga(Indian): Apkujeong, across from Chillis; Star Tower, Yeoksam St; Seoul Finance Center, Kwanghwamun; somewhere in Chungdamdong; and somewhere in Pusan

Dal(Indian): Artsonje Center, near Kyungbuk Palace

Le Saint Ex(French): 3 Alley, my favorite hangout in Seoul

Istanbul(Turkish): Dongbu Ichon Dong, reviewed in the Herald last week.

Pishon(French): on the hill between Itaewon and the Hyatt

Thai Orchid: next to Holiday Itaewon Hotel, still the best Thai

That's all I can think of for now. Quick plug for my friend Andy Salmon (AKA the original Porkers) and his book. OK, bad plug cause I can't remember the name but its in all the major bookstores.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: