Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contact lenses question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alyallen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Contact lenses question Reply with quote

Hi,

Just wondering if I should buy a year's worth of contact lenses or buy a few months here in the States and then buying the rest in Korea? I know glasses are cheaper there because I bought a pair 2 years ago but contact lenses are a mystery.

If I can buy them there, can I just bring a box of my lenses and buy more or do I have to have an exam first?

Thanks,
AlyAllen

By the way, I tried to search through the forum for similar questions and that search feature picked up the oddest threads Shocked Confused
prosodic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about contacts, but you can get prescription eyeglasses for about 30,000 won unless you're completely blind.
Alyallen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prosodic wrote:
I don't know about contacts, but you can get prescription eyeglasses for about 30,000 won unless you're completely blind.

That I know....I paid 50,000 for for lenses and frames. I had to have the lenses cut....I am PRETTY blind Cool
Alyallen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prosodic wrote:

That I know....I paid 50,000 for lenses and a frame. I had to have the lenses cut....I am PRETTY blind Cool

I prefer my contact lenses because I get scars from wearing my glasses Crying or Very sad
peppermint

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get your years supply of contacts- especially if you have astigmatism. Contacts aren't cheaper here, and they may or may not have the brand that you prefer.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peppermint wrote:
I would get your years supply of contacts- especially if you have astigmatism. Contacts aren't cheaper here, and they may or may not have the brand that you prefer.

I have to disagree. I find contacts and eyeglasses to be much much cheaper here - I pay 20,000w for a box of 6 "Biomedics 55" disposables, which compares favourably with $20US online, or $30+ from opticians (what I paid when I lived in the US). Plus, there's no requirement to have a $50 eye exam as is necessary in many states, and in Canada - the exam here is free, and they usually do a decent job.

The cheapest contacts are in Namdaemun Market in Seoul. If you find a good place, get their card and they'll ship to you for free in the future.

Eyeglasses are also cheaper.
Gollum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched to disposables this year, and I can find Bausch & Lomb, J&J, and a few others too for sure.

I think you'll be fine.
peppermint

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My eyes aren't great, and I've got astigmatism, which seems to be pretty rare here. I was told at several contact lens shops that they didn't carry my perscription and the one that did was very expensive- far more than at home. Maybe regular contacts are cheap, but the special ones certainly aren't
Alyallen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I don't have an astigmatism, so I guess I won't have the problem you do, peppermint.

I won't be living in Seoul, so that is something to consider. I would love to buy my lenses for less and I'd like to try different brands because I have used the same brand for 4 years and would like to try others.

Thanks for the input,
AlyAllen
The Lemon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alyallen wrote:
Well...I don't have an astigmatism, so I guess I won't have the problem you do, peppermint.

I won't be living in Seoul, so that is something to consider. I would love to buy my lenses for less and I'd like to try different brands because I have used the same brand for 4 years and would like to try others.

Thanks for the input,
AlyAllen

This is what I did, too. I was getting annoyed with Acuvue and CIBA lenses and tried the Biomedics ones for a change, and because they were cheap. I won't wear anything else now. I've bought a bunch of boxes to bring with me when I leave.

Namdaemun in Seoul is the place to be, for price and variety.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: