Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ali Baba's Itaewon, OK food, LOUSY service
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eamo wrote:
Zed wrote:
Taqwha (sp?) on the road in behind Burger King is a great Pakistani restaurant. I recommend the spinach dishes. Delicious.

Second that!

Taqwa.

Great food and service.

Tell Mohammad I sent ya!! Wink

Thirded.
sundubuman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try Petra's,

It is rather new, owned by a very friendly Jordanian guy, and the food was fantastic and very reasonably priced.

It's located on "Noksapyeong Hill", nearby New Delhi (another highly recommended place)

Definitely better than Ali Baba's
paperbag princess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have always had a great time at ali babas, and have never had a problem with their service. i luv that place! Smile
oneiros

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sundubuman wrote:
try Petra's,

It is rather new, owned by a very friendly Jordanian guy, and the food was fantastic and very reasonably priced.

It's located on "Noksapyeong Hill", nearby New Delhi (another highly recommended place)

Definitely better than Ali Baba's

Ooh..I know where I'm going when I get back to Seoul.

Thanks for the tip. Very Happy
Ilsanman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

So when I went to Ali-babas, they put some bread on the table. When we were paying the bill, they charged us soemthing like 3,000 won for it, even tho we didn't order it.

After refusing to pay for it, they wouldn't back down, so we promised to never come back, and to slander it to all of my friends.
oneiros

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: yes Reply with quote

Ilsanman wrote:
So when I went to Ali-babas, they put some bread on the table. When we were paying the bill, they charged us soemthing like 3,000 won for it, even tho we didn't order it.

After refusing to pay for it, they wouldn't back down, so we promised to never come back, and to slander it to all of my friends.

In defense of them on the bread issue, that's a common practice in restaurants in the Middle East. It's just assumed that you're going to want bread with your meal.

It's still over-priced, though.
Swiss James

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on Taqwa guys, great food, good prices, fast service. No booze though, and to any brits out there, the Roti tastes a lot more like the naan bread back home than the naan bread does.
jaganath69

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiss James wrote:
Thanks for the tip on Taqwa guys, great food, good prices, fast service. No booze though, and to any brits out there, the Roti tastes a lot more like the naan bread back home than the naan bread does.

What did you have at Taqwa and how much was it?

Cheers

PS
Zed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe I will be lunching there tomorrow. Can't wait.
Swiss James

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Chicken ummm, Masala I think, and before that the Chicken Saag- would recommend the Masala more out of the two. Also had samosa's (which are big and filling), naan bread (so so) and roti (good).
Zenpickle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylehawkins2000 wrote:

I've tried out a couple of the places reccommended in the Seoul Classifieds and just had to ask myself what in the heck that guy is thinking when he reviews places. After a couple of dissappointing visits to his recommended places I began to notice that he never says anything bad about the restaurants he reviews....coincidence? I doubt it. The restaurants are probably paying for the review or are sponsors of the magazine.

Warning: The new greek restaurant behind the Hamilton Hotel, Santorini, is brutal. It's overpriced, the food is not well cooked or presented and the service sucks. I paid close to 50 bucks for two entrees and an appetizer with NO drinks and the food was the worst Greek food I've ever had. The spanikopita was tiny and obviously reheated because they were cold in the middle.

Thanks for warning me because I had my eye on that place for the next time I ventured into Itaewon.

Talking about food reviews, I saw a few months ago a "Cuisine Korea" program on Arirang where they went into Outback Steakhouse and treated it like it was this fancy exotic Australian restaurant. They continually plugged the "authentic Australian" angle, despite Outback being born and headquartered in Tampa, FL.

Australian?

It's about as American as the Outback Bowl.
osangrl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Ali Baba's. Ive been going there for years. Good place to sip a drink and smoke and eat. The manager is always nice and kind and accomodating to us.
Ilsanman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: yes Reply with quote

oneiros wrote:
Ilsanman wrote:

In defense of them on the bread issue, that's a common practice in restaurants in the Middle East. It's just assumed that you're going to want bread with your meal.

There is no defense for that, especially in Korea. At restuarants in Korea, semmingly all restaurants except Ali-Babas, they basically throw side dishes at you and they are all free.
simone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was at Ali Baba's this Sunday.

Had a guest from Canada staying with us - an older lady. Took her there, get her fed and a few glasses of wine into her...

The place was rocking. There were a bunch of older Korean ladies, all of whom looked like they'd spent some time in the middle east? Married to Arabs? Worked there? Who knows? But they were shaking in on the dance floor, belly-dancer style.

So we all got up too... they had a few extra sets of those finger cymbals that make a great ruckus... and we ordered a shisha... those giant hookah water pipes with cherry tobacco. Middle-aged Canadian women who haven't smoked ANYTHING in 20 years get a real kick out of taking a hoot out of a giant waterpipe.

Good time. If I want great food, I cook. If I want a place, I go out.

Simone
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: yes Reply with quote

oneiros wrote:
Ilsanman wrote:

Say what? in the 9 months I was in the m.east i wasn't charged for bread once.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: