Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Subway Sandwich shop now in Cheonan
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justagirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Subway Sandwich shop now in Cheonan Reply with quote

Hey all Cheonananites--just thought I'd do a public service and let you know that Subway is in town. Very Happy

It's kinda out in the sticks, behind all those new love hotels by the new Lotte Mart. How to get there:

Take the bus 111 from Ssangyong-dae-ro. I know the 111 runs some different routes, so make sure you get on the 111 that goes down this road. It takes a while to get out there (20-25 min?) from the older Lotte Mart in Ssangyong-dong, but it's worth it. Smile

Um, keep your eyes peeled after you get out toward those big love hotels. The Subway is on your right side, right at the bus stop. When the bus stops, you'll be at the front door of the restaurant. There's also a Baskin Robbins in the same building, on the far corner, so look for the yellow Subway lights and the pink lights of BR. It's pretty obvious, so if you're looking, you'll definitely see it.

Any ?, feel free to ask. Sorry the directions aren't more clear--it's always a bit hard to explain where things are!

justagirl

This thread has been added to the Restaurant Sticky ...Mod Team
peppermint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are only getting one now??????????

There were three in Cheong ju when I left about three months ago.-

Unfortunately none in my new area- though I'd settle for a Carrefour to be honest.
Iwanttoberich

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a Hijack here, but isn't Cheonan where dak kalbi was invented ? I was told they have the best dak kalbi there and it is worth taking a special trip just to sample it. TIA
mog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*gets out map*

eeehhh. You're going to have to call me and explain this a little more to me.

Ssanyong-dae-ro...That's that big street, ain't it?
justagirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...don't know about the dak kalbi bit, though I've eaten it here. I'll ask my co-workers today about that bit.

Actually, there was a Subway about 4 years ago, but it went under. The service was super slow--about 5 minutes for them to make a sandwich, they weren't using good meat (it was Korean meat, not like meat at home) and they didn't have all the toppings available. My American friends went once and refused to go back. Sounded like someone bought a franchise and tried to go a cheap route, with Korean products or something.

Yes Mog, that's the big street. Very Happy Remember where we met you on the bus line to go downtown? You can catch the 111 or 104 on that street.

I imagine we'll be going again this weekend. We could have a Cheonan get-together at Subway, if anyone's interested. ha ha. Laughing
mog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly beats the ham sandwich I'm eating right now.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there used to be a faux-subway in Hongdae. It closed too. It was a real Subway but the bread wasn't fresh and the meat sucked. Not to mention, it wasn't very clean. Or maybe the sign said "Schlubway..." I can't recall.
Mankind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bit of a Hijack here, but isn't Cheonan where dak kalbi was invented

No

Invented in a city west of Seoul. It's worth the 2 hour train trip the original is even better than regular stuff. Went there again for some about 2 months ago.

HAND Smile
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The city where dak kalbi comes from is Chuncheon, isn't it?

The only thing that I know of for which Cheonan is famous is the chestnut cakes that they sell on the trains from time to time.

And is this Subway all the way out by Seongjeongdong? That's what it sounds like...the part of town that they've been building for the past 2 years or so...?
mog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the northeast side of Mt. Bongseo.
justagirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zzyz....my students said it was two-jeong-dong. But it is out by all those new love hotels and Lotte Mart.
Mankind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The city where dak kalbi comes from is Chuncheon, isn't it?

Yep.

HAND Smile
Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back about 5 years ago (or so), Cheonan had a Subway shop, next to the bus terminal. For the first couple of months it was awesome... then they cut costs by NOT buying from the franchise and it got pretty bad before becoming a no-name pizza place. Nice to hear it has a new one. Cheonan was probably the nicest town in Chungnam... always something good to do.

If you get the chance check out the Ho-doo Gwa-ja (Walnut Cakes) shop near the bus terminal... their cakes will put the train ones to shame... you can get them piping hot from the oven (makes great gifts for your favorite Koreans as well).
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas wrote:
Back about 5 years ago (or so), Cheonan had a Subway shop, next to the bus terminal. For the first couple of months it was awesome... then they cut costs by NOT buying from the franchise and it got pretty bad before becoming a no-name pizza place. Nice to hear it has a new one. Cheonan was probably the nicest town in Chungnam... always something good to do.

If you get the chance check out the Ho-doo Gwa-ja (Walnut Cakes) shop near the bus terminal... their cakes will put the train ones to shame... you can get them piping hot from the oven (makes great gifts for your favorite Koreans as well).

Yep, the good 'ole days...I remember that one, my wife and I used to ride over and sit in the back patio and eat away. We would have liked to eaten in the loft area, however, although short....we weren't Hobbit short. Was the ceiling from the deck something like 4.5 feet?

Anyhow, you can also by the Walnut cakes at the intersection of Namboo Dae-ro and ..crap, forgot the street name...you know, the main one (not the one that Carrefour is on).

!Shoosh

Ryst
Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... I forgot about the low ceilings there!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: