Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommend a dentist ->FAQ
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Recommend a dentist ->FAQ Reply with quote

Can someone recommend a good, english-speaking dentist in Seoul... in the Kyung Hee Univ., Korea Univ., mia somgorye station, wolgok station area?

This thread has been linked in the FAQ section. .... Mod Team
sperling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really qualified to answer this, but I did find an English speaking dentist after doing a quick search:

http://www.suite101.com/links.cfm/expatriate_seoul

Dr Choi and Associates - Dental Clinic
Quality English speaking dentists in the Seoul area. They cover all sorts of dental work and take all forms of dental insurance. In Korean but click on the email and address the email to Dr. Choi, Seung-woo
http://www.dentasso.com

I also found a good article on this at:

http://www.teachkoreanz.com/living/health.htm

All the best,

Dave Sperling
Founder
Dave's ESL Cafe
http://www.eslcafe.com
princess

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my God! Stay far away from DR.Choi and his "associates". That dummie told me I had a cavity last year when I really didn't. Never had one in my life!!! Then when I went back to the US and saw my dentist,guess what? No cavities. Never let that man near your mouth. I bet many people have had perfectly fine teeth drilled by this guy,if they are dumb enough to believe everything a doctor/dentist says.
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who the hell uses drills anymore? It's all high-pressure water these days that removes the decayed part of the tooth, then it's sealed up.
hack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey captain! I have a major pain in my head. Can you save me 20000 won and give me your obvious expert opinion? Do you think it's
a) a brain tumor
b) onset of Alzheimers
c) reading your posts
d) too much soju

Thanks Wink
captain kirk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i may, i'd recommend going to one of the dentists trained in the states. there are ads in the seoul english newspapers re; such dentists. they are more expensive than the typical korean dentist, but they have high tech equipment and methods, and can explain in english what needs to be done after giving you an x-ray. i had another kind of experience in a small korean city of 20,ooo people. there i visited a dentist recommended by my boss since i had a serious toothache. it was an open area of three chairs quite close to another so the open-mouthed overhauls of the person next were my business, which was a little too much extra. the dentist, though he spoke moderate english, flipped the sharp-wire-in-a-steel-pencil-handle scratcher thing and used the blunt steel 'pencil-butt' end to whack the tooth hard, hammering. this was a 'percussion test', he said, to my 'what the hell??'. he recommended a root canal but after the 'percussion test' i wasn't confidently enthusiastic. instead, he did a filling which was a cushion of some material to buffer the nerve, and a filling over that, FOR ONLY 8000 WON. korean's, i've heard it said, 'don't blink much'. however a stranger in a strange land might feel more comfortable being serviced by an eloquent and foreign trained dentist, just to know what the bleep is going on, and for a little extra charge.
The Man known as The Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

princess wrote:
Oh my God! Stay far away from DR.Choi and his "associates". That dummie told me I had a cavity last year when I really didn't. Never had one in my life!!! Then when I went back to the US and saw my dentist,guess what? No cavities. Never let that man near your mouth. I bet many people have had perfectly fine teeth drilled by this guy,if they are dumb enough to believe everything a doctor/dentist says.

Thanks for the heads up I will avoid him like the plague!
Zark

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, I have to support what Princess said. I had an identical problem a few years back. It may be good to avoid dentists here. Korea in general just doesn't have the hygiene standards needed for such care. Add to that the denial about AIDS and wishful thinking about kimchee - and well, you see what I mean.

About the same time I had the dentist problem I was recommended to a "high class" dentist (by some Korean friends who were both physicians) who had graduated from Seoul University (whoopie!). Dear G*d, she was working on TWO of us at one time from one bloody mouth to the other NEVER washing her gloved hands. I guess the gloves were just to protect her!

Needless to say I now get my dental work done in Thailand or the USA.
BTW, the major international hospitals in Thailand all have excellent first class dental care at a fraction of Western costs. And they DO wash their hands.
The Man known as The Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only the English had such good dental care!
The King of Kwangju

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - a posted started by an unregistered user and aswered by Dave, the late, great, cantankerous CO 2.0, and the enigmatic princess.

Was it only a year and a half ago such a thread was possible?

Good times, man, good times.
kalbi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Dentist Reply with quote

Seoul Mirae Clinic Telephone 929-9270 Dr. Lee is the general dentist and Dr. Ji the Orthordontist.

This practice is owned by 3 female dentists. I can personally recommend Drs. Ji and Lee. They are located on the light blue subway line at the Sunshim Women's University stop, and the entrance to their building is 20 seconds form the subway exit. (Sorry.. you need to call them to ask for the exit number). They are professional, gently, caring and friendly. Opened evenings and Saturdays. They keep appointments on time.

PM me if you have further questions.
Joseph Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am coming to Korea next month, and I need to have some wisdom teeth pulled. Does anyone know of a good oral surgeon in the Seoul area? About how much would it cost to have them pulled?
Gollum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I have is that I have suddenly developed problems in all 6 of my fillings, according to the Korean dentist I've been going to. I've had 2 root canals done at the price of 450,000 each, including gold crown (and I have Korean insurance).

I am wondering if I should try somewhere else to check out the other teeth. They won't do amalgum fillings at my dentist, citing they cause cancer or don't last very long. Heck, I've had these old ones for 20 years!

Amalgum happens to be totally covered by Korean health insurance, I hear.

Anyone else have some amalgum fillings re-done, with insurance? What was your experience, and how much did it cost?
desultude

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take a week in Bangkok and go to Bumrungrad Hospital, or another of the good international hospitals. I went for the extreme physical last month, and when I return I'll get a dental checkup. You get treated like its a five star hotel, and costs like a yogwan. You will pay less, including airfare, if you need any amount of work done.

I have seen my neighbors get treated by dentists here in Daegu. No thanks.
peppermint

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a pretty damned good dentist today in eastern Seoul.

Rhee Jong Hun at the Ye Dental Clinic. It's near Janghanpyeong Stastion, exit 5. When you come out, turn right, and walk along the busy street. It's a block away, right at the corner on the 4th floor. There's a Yokohama tire place on the first floor of the building

I was a little dubious, because of the industrial nature of the area, but a Korean friend highly reccomended him. He spoke reasonable English, talking me though a root canal. (and I am very, very jittery when it comes to dentists) He was fast, relatively painless and the office was very clean. I noticed that he took the little mirror and scraper thinie from a sterile package.

My only gripe- when you get the anaesthetic needles, you have to ask beforehand for the local anaesthetic .( the stuff to handle pain of needles only)

By the way, dental work is mostly covered by Korean health insurance. I've gotta go back, but the first part of the root canal, including the x-ray cost 9,000W

edit: total cost(without crown for now) under 25,000
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: