Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Safe Visa Runs in Asia (?)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boogie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Safe Visa Runs in Asia (?) Reply with quote

Still wanna travel Asia but things are pretty scary out there with people randomly being kidnapped and places unexpectedly blowing up...

Is there a safe place to travel to to do a Visa run?
PootyTang

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always did mine to Japan or Thailand. Both are super safe. China is always an option. I always wanted to see the Terracotta soldiers in Xian, but thats another thread...

Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VISA runs to Thailand? Wow, great idea. Thailand was fun, though Bangkok is just a teeeeeeeny bit on the wild side.

Yea, Japan's a good choice. Fukuoka *may* have an immigration office, at least, I hope it does. I have to check on that. If it does, a VISA run could be as easy as heading to Busan by train/bus, hopping on a 3-hour Beetle ferry, staying at a $50 a night hotel for a night or two in lovely, coastal Fukuoka while your VISA processes, then take the Beetle back. Train from Seoul is probably near 40,000 won, maybe more, Beetle costs 120,000 round trip if I'm not mistaken, and then max $100 on a hotel. Not too shabby.

That's my plan for February. Hwah!

Does anyone know if Fukuoka has a Korean consulate or immigration office?

EDIT: I found a cheat! Hah!

Last edited by Zyzyfer on Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
william beckerson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always went to the Korean Embassy in Osaka. I like the Rapid train.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do that, but:

#1-got a Japanese friend in Fukuoka who can guide me around, if she ever uh, replies to emails more often.

#2-my teacher friend over there is way way way on the other side of Kobe from Osaka, even farther away than Hiroshima. It'll take a similar amount of time from either big city...

Anyways...*carries on*
matko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the "bad word" city does have an immigration office and or consulate. I did my visa run there. Quite a nice city. Have fun

Last edited by matko on Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
l'il kim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if anyone has done a visa run there, but there's definitely a Korean consulate in Vladivostok,and quite a large one at that.

Some pluses:

It's super close
Cheap
Surreal experience

Some minuses:
Russian tourist visas are a b*tch to apply for
Underdeveloped tourist infrastructure (despite the Hyundai Hotel built on the outskirts of the city, which is a huge money loser for Hyundai)

Let me put it this way: it's an interesting experience, quite an attractive place, and I guarantee you will appreciate Korea SO much more!
william beckerson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured out why the filter killed f-u-k-u-o-k-a.
Look at the first 4 letters.
Catt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have done this sooner. LOL Jakarta and Indonesia were fantastic. The place where you need to go is a little confusing but the guards are very helpful about explaining where to go. I dropped off my passport for my visa and came back almost 2 weeks later to pick it up with no trouble. But it was ready in 5 days if I had wanted it faster. Java is a beautiful Island with lots of things to see and although travel guides warn against theft and scams as long as you are a wary traveler you will be fine.
younga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Gunsan to Qinqdao Reply with quote

Has anyone done this trip? Gunsan to Qinqdao on the ferry.
katepult

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gotten a few visas in Hong Kong. The embassy is right in Central and easy to find. The visa was overnight, and Hong Kong is awesome. I used to live on the mainland a few hours outside of Hong Kong.
You can stay in Kowloon in one of the countless hostels/guesthouses in Mirador Mansion or Chungking Mansion. The rooms are nothing special (and the beds are freaking uncomfortable), but it's worth it to be right downtown for $25US a night.
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guam, USA.

Seriously. People do it.

Safe, the Consulate is close to the beach, always perfect weather, close to Korea (3 hours), have jamaican food, t-bone steak, good ol' apple pie, recharge your batteries.
sluggle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Can I go to SK without visa, and then make a visa run? Reply with quote

I'm from the US, and I've thought of going to SK to interview in person-- mostly to get a look at the school/living conditions, and also I've seen a lot of job posts that pay much better but start a week from the posting date (presumably they are for people already in SK??)

So if I went and brought all necessary documents (degree, CBC, transcripts, etc.) -- I would have no problem signing a contract while over there, and then making a visa run to Japan, right?

Sorry if this sounds basic, but I have tried the search function on multiple browsers and it lags/freezes.
climber159

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is your first E-2 visa you have to obtain it from your home country. And, NO, you can't just hop over to Guam because you have to obtain your visa from the consulate with jurisdiction over the region you're from. I've heard of a few exceptions, but I wouldn't count on it. And, I seriously doubt that any school here would pay for a round-trip ticket for you to go back to your home country for your visa. As I've suggested to others before, your best bet is to land a job with a public school (or maybe one of the larger hagwon chains) for your first year. They pay your airfare to Korea, set you up with a reasonably furnished apartment and you're not out any money for the flight or accomodations in Korea. If you stay beyond the first year you can make the jump to a better job if you desire and the opportunity presents itself.
Canuckophile

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Anyone gone to MONGOLIA for a teaching visa in Korea? Reply with quote

I'm doing a summer holiday and thinking of Mongolia.

Any experience with Mongolia for a VISA RUN?

Thanks
CANUCKOPHILE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: