Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Antidepressants?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
viva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:02 am    Post subject: Antidepressants? Reply with quote

I'm currently on an anti-anxiety/anti-depressant pill called Paxil.

I brought over a few months supply and will receive more from my mom in the mail. I'm just wondering if anyone has any clue as to wether or not perscription antidepressants are available from doctors in Korea? And any idea as to how pricey they would be?

Any advise or suggestions are appreciated!
philipjames

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Paxil is available. Reply with quote

Don't worry. Paxil is available in Korea. I've used it here too. It's about 157,000 won for 100 pills.

Be well.
ajuma

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Meds Reply with quote

For this kind of medication, you'll probably need to go to a doctor. There's a good English speaking psychiatrist in Seoul. Look in the Korean Times or Hearald for the Psychiatric clinic. The nurse speaks Korean, but when you call, she'll put the doctor on the line and he'll set up your appointment and give you directions. Good luck!
sunlit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject: herbal alternatives for depression Reply with quote

while st john's wort is a common natural anti-depressant, 5-htp (hydroxytroptophan) made from griffonia seeds is also a great natural serotonin booster.

--Are there any studies where 5-HTP was compared directly to antidepressant drugs?
Yes, there are several. 5-HTP is equal to or better than standard antidepressant drugs and the side effects are much less severe. The study with the most significance was one that compared to fluvoxamine, a "selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor" like Prozac, Paxil, and Zoloft. In the study, subjects received either 5-HTP (100 mg) or fluvoxamine (50 mg) three times daily for 6 weeks (5). The percentage decrease in overall depression scores was slightly better in the 5-HTP group (60.7% vs. 56.1%). More patients responded to 5-HTP than fluvoxamine and 5-HTP was quicker acting than the fluvoxamine.

Has 5-HTP been studied in the treatment of depression?
Yes. In fact, there is excellent documentation that 5-HTP is an effective antidepressant agent. 5-HTP often produces very good results in patients who are unresponsive to standard antidepressant drugs. One of the more impressive studies involved 99 patients described as suffering from "therapy resistant" depression (3). These patients had not responded to any previous therapy including all available antidepressant drugs as well as electro convulsive therapy. These therapy resistant patients received 5-HTP at dosages averaging 200 mg daily but ranging from 50 to 600 mg per day. Complete recovery was seen in 43 of the 99 patients and significant improvement was noted in 8 more. Such significant improvement in patients suffering from long-standing, unresponsive depression is quite impressive prompting the author of another study to state "5-HTP merits a place in the front of the ranks of the antidepressants instead of being used as a last resort. I have never in 20 years used an agent which: (1 was effective so quickly; (2 restored the patients so completely to the persons they had been and their partners had known; [and] (3 was so entirely without side effects" (4).
BTM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand.
sunlit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1998 is officially 5 years ago.
em

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Is it me or is this thread kinda messed up in the middle???)

Phew! Thanks Viva, I was too timid to bring it up. Has anyone actually gone to the doctor and had Paxil, or any other antidepressant, prescribed? Is it a complicated process? Is there anything I can bring with me from my doctor to make things easier? And is it the EXACT same?

Thanks all!
viva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Em,

If you have your old bottle Paxil from home with the medical ingrediants and dosage on it bring it to show your doctor in Korea. You could also bring in a sample pack of Paxil to show him. He should be able to read what the dosage is and prescribe you the same thing.

I haven't done it yet becasue I brought a suppy from home, but I hear that it's easy enough to do.

Also, Zoloft is very much like Paxil and is also very common in Korea. My doctor at home told me that 20 mgs of Paxil is equal to 50mgs of Zoloft. So, if your Doctor in Korea doesn't know paxil he may be able to prescribe Zoloft instead.

Regarding the St. John's Wort that is mentioned above I've heard that it does work to help curb depression, but that over time it damages your liver and therefore should not be taken on a long term basis.

I hope this helps. You should be able to make an appointment with any doctor and get what you need. You shouldn't need to see a shrink, anyone who can write a prescription will do.

Good Luck. I hope it works out for you as I will be trying the same thing soon enough.

Viva
jajdude

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten zoloft here for years. Watch out for different prices at different pharmacies. Some will charge you double over another one. It has happened to me 2 or 3 times. 157,000 won for 100 sounds like too much to me. I know where to buy it for half that.
K-in-C

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: One pill makes you... Reply with quote

Well looky here: http://www.celexa-lexapro.com/prozac.shtml?findwhat

A pop up came up while I was reading this thread.

Stay well,

Kate in Canada
Canuck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt Tyson on Zoloft? Anyway, the best cure for some depression is sex.
rhonda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Us Depressed Types should hook up Reply with quote

I'll be arriving in Korea on July 7th, so I'll need to meet some new people. I'm on Prozac, and I thought it would be cool to meet like-minded people...if anyone wants to get in touch, you can email me at "[email protected]", or "[email protected]".
Take care and keep being happy.
Clarabella

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Prescriptions covered? Reply with quote

Are prescriptions (psych meds, specifically) covered by Korean insurance?
rookieglobetrotter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: schools Reply with quote

I don't know if schools spec. covered them. But when I interviewed with some schools some asked me if I had any mental health issues, ever seen a shrink, etc. so I don't know if I would ask them, but Im sure you can ask your insurer when you get it.

I think the schools cover half and you pay the other half.
richardlang

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: TMS clinical trials for Depresison in Apgujeong Reply with quote

There's a clinic in Apgujeong running TMS clinical trials. My co-teacher says it's relatively affordable and has been helping her feel better. Well, she's always been great, but the suicide of her father has always and other things led her into depression and have haunted her. If you want more information, PM me and I can get the information to you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcranial_magnetic_stimulation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: