Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Organizing Private Lessons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheem

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Organizing Private Lessons Reply with quote

First things first, the purpose of this thread is not to debate the morality of private lessons. This thread is for those who teach privates or will teach privates.

Like most pragmatists here, I'm looking to make the most amount of money working the least amount of hours possible. I'm also looking to structure my lessons rather than ad-lib, which is the way I understand many privates are conducted. Finally, I plan to conduct the privates at my apartment. With these things in mind:

1. Is it possible - advisable even - to teach multiple students (3-4) at once? If so, what is a reasonable amount to charge per hour?
  2. What, in your opinion, is the ideal session length/session frequency combination, and why? (3 * 1 hour/week, 2 * 1.5 hour/week etc.)
  3. I don't like the thought of collecting money each session. Is it reasonable to ask for a month's fees in advance?
  4. Any other sundry advice, pitfalls, tips you can share?
JennyJJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:04 am    Post subject: my friend says . . . Reply with quote

I don't teach privates but have a friend who is deep into it and he says:

Teaching at your place may bring you much more trouble much faster than going out. It will take your neighbors about one day to figure out what is up - especially if groups of people are showing up. Don't forget that their parents will be hanging out in the front waiting for class to finish - bragging about the foreigner teacher up there with their kids.

My friend's experience is that people will tell you what they want, how often and when - and you fit it all in as best you can. Don't forget the same kids go to the piano hogwan, some extra math and science classes, maybe a tae kwan do class etc.

My friend says he like to get paid each time as it is more reinforcing that way - esp when he is tired and doesn't feel like it. But different people like to do these things different ways.

W40k seems to be about the going rate he says - I didn't ask him about pitfalls - other than getting busted, fined, fired, and deported. But that sure seems like enough to keep me out of the game all together.

And remember - no whining when you get kicked out of the country.

Be careful!
cheem

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JennyJJ. I should've mentioned this in the original post but I'm heading over there on an F-4 visa. I have no experience teaching privately in Korea but my plans are based on the following logic:

• teach university students and adults, since they seem to have a bit more flexibility schedule-wise (plus I generally dislike kids)
  • teach 3-4 students at once since I'm designing my own lessons
  • conduct lessons at my apartment to save time running around Seoul
  • have students pay a month in advance to discourage no shows

See any loopholes here?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: