Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the working relationship with other teachers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inkorea

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: the working relationship with other teachers Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy

To quote Mark Twain whom once wrote:"The world does not owe you a living, it was here first."

Primarily, I would like to address this topic towards the working relationship with other teachers.

I have been teaching in Seoul for the last 2 1/4 years. From my discoveries, I found that there are lots of good teachers who are both, positive and negative. I enjoy working with the optimistic teachers. It's the pessimestic ones who drive me crazy and are very hard to deal with at times.

Once again: Mark Twain once wrote:"The world does not owe you a living, it was here first." Why do the negative teachers spend so much time complaining and bitching instead of trying to fix their problem or change schools?

Can't people see the good from their experience teaching here in Korea? There are so many things to do here besides drink and gripe! Many of my friends back home would give their eye and tooth to teach here in Korea, believe me!! It's a LOT better then teaching in a western country where one faces potential hazzards everyday with potentially harmful students. As you know, some attack other students or the teachers with a gun or a knife.

All a teacher has to worry about here is giving fun, educational lessons.

Another thing, why not go for a hike in the mountains or go for a work out? What about meeting true Korean friends or perhaps marrying a Korean? Take up a new activity such as a Korean instrument ot Taekwondo. Take up Korean dance or learn the Korean language. Stop drinking for a second! There are many other things to do besides the ones listed. Join a service, it does wonders for your own serenity.

I hope the negative people get the point here. As I said, I want to start a discussion here about this topic. Let's have some comments and let's hope the less optimistic people will try these things. their quality of life will improve, I'm sure of that. Let's stop whining! Let's be positive for a change. For those who are already positive, may your experience
here never darken your life. Be cool and stay positive.

In Korea

Very Happy Very Happy
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, Shakespeare once said "Brevity is the soul of wit." I need a drink after reading that.
Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post. I personally think people will always find something to complain about no matter where they are. When that complaining starts to affect their job performance and social life... then it becomes a problem. It was sort of funny (in a sick way) to see the difference in some of the friends we hung out with in Korea. We used to get together monthly or so, and as you know, when a group of English teachers get together, it can lead to lots of bad things being said about Korea. Afterwards, everyone felt a bit better.
On the down side, Korean girlfriends and friends often got offended and eventually asked many of us straight up..."If you hate Korea so much, why do you stay?" This was a sign that some of us were getting burnt out. I do remmeber some of our 'hang-out group" eventually being ignored and not invited because they were just 'too negative'... it wasn't fun to be with them.
I guess my point is, it is good for the spirit to complain about things with like-minded people. I would hazard a guess that many of the posters here put up anti-Korean diatribe to blow off steam and that in the work place or with their friends, they are nice normal people. It is clear to see soem who are burnt out... and keep returning to this forum to lambast everything Korean (or even slightly Pro-Korean) even after they have left the country. They need to work out the bitterness and hate and move on with their lives. The others who are just blowing off steam do make for pretty interesting reading!
inkorea

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Very interesting. Reply with quote

True enough, people vent here.

As long as they try to do something about their problems such as; getting help, then write something brief about the problem. I don't see a problem about that since it productive, and, the person wants to come out of their problem.

The problem I have is that some teachers complain for and do nothing. Some go to the nearest drinking hole and drown in alcohol, gripe about their problems and do nothing to change their problems.then, the next day, it's the SAME bloody thing aver and over again. They repeat the cycle day after day and week after week. Those that only drink, teach and bitch, need to get out and do something more productive.

For starters, do something else. I know, DO SOMETHING ABOUT YOUR PROBLEM AT WORK. Find an activity find and activity to do on your free time.
Thomas points out that some become bitter. I agree with your post.

To those who like to complain:
I have my problems too, but, I don't need to gripe about them every day. I get out and find something fun to do after work. THERE'S SO MUCH TO DO HERE!

As an example, yesterday, my wife and I went to MOKPO(SOUTH-WEST KOREA) From Seoul to Mokpo, it's a 420KM ride by train each way. My wife and I had a great time and took in tons of scenery along the way. We had a blast and without alcohol! We walked around Mokpo and got to see some of the city as well. Yes, we did all this in one day.

Tomorrow, we're off to Lotte World (seocho lake park) for ther day.
Sunday, Church and other fun activities. Monday, we'll visit her family in Seoul.

On Thursday, we're in a Sports Day tornament. On Saturday, we're off to Kangchon for the day. We can rent a bike there and ride in the country.

While we do all these activities, will I concentrate on my problem at school? NO, they will be at the farthest place from my mind.

My suggestion to those who complain all the time is to try do do some things like what my wife and I do. Don't concentrate on your problems, that's why you are loosing sleep at night. Tonight: I will sleep sound as always. Don't let the problems get to you. If they do, you're letting your foes beat you. Spend good quality with your friends. Be positive!

Good post too, Thomas!
Peace to you all.

In Korea
waterbaby

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Very interesting. Reply with quote

inkorea wrote:
The problem I have is that some teachers complain for and do nothing. Some go to the nearest drinking hole and drown in alcohol, gripe about their problems and do nothing to change their problems.then, the next day, it's the SAME bloody thing aver and over again. They repeat the cycle day after day and week after week.

Yeah, I agree with you here. I don't mind listening to anyone have a whinge or complain about something. It's human nature! I do it often - but usually with my sense of humour still intact. We all want to have a good old whinge now and then.

But when the whining is continuous, repeated and your suggestions and advice for tackling the problems are completely ignored AND the person refuses to take any resonponsibility for changing the situtation... well, that's when I take responsibility and choose to stop spending time with them.

However, this can be a bit tricky if you have to work with them. This is one of the reasons I'm thankful that I'm the only foreign teacher at my hogwan!
captain kirk

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha, me too. i'm the only foriegn teacher at our school. it's not easy teaching in a hagwon. for anyone. including korean english teachers. the korean english teacher at our school is 25, and very optomistic. when she has a bad day, she doesn't talk much. and at the end of the bad day she doesn't talk at all. some korean kid called her 'a jerk'. or something like that. i'm the same. when i'm wrestling with something some brat got away with i'm not talkative. if there was another foreign teacher at our school i'd be tempted to blablabla about how horrible this and that is. i was doing this with the korean english teacher until i snapped out of it, and sat still looking around a bit. it's not so bad! if one doesn't lose their head. it's easy to get completely turned around in this spinny job. i got an armchair and read novels on the weekend and have just settled down. 'the world doesn't owe you a living, it was here first'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: