Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

do you need an onward ticket when visiting Korea?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wuzza

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: do you need an onward ticket when visiting Korea? Reply with quote

hey,
My friend (Irish, if it makes a difference) is visiting me here next month, he's coming direct from the States. Our plan is then to go travelling around Christmas time, but as we're not sure where we're going yet, he doesn't want to get an onward ticket if he doesn't have to.

Does anyone know if korean immigration will allow people in on a one-way ticket and a tourist visa? If not, is it possible to show them a computer printout with a booking you have made (but may have no intention of keeping)

thanks
Real Reality

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entry Procedure
http://www.moj.go.kr/immi/08_english/02_business/service_02.html

Entry and Departure (Visa)
Most foreigners who want to visit Korea just for a short-term tour or transit are permitted to enter Korea with no visa according to the principles of reciprocity or priority of national interests with a tourist/transit visa status (B-2, 30 days). Special status is awarded to Canadians(6 months) and Australian(90days).
http://www.moj.go.kr/immi/08_english/02_business/service_02_3.html

Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.moj.go.kr/english/helpDesk_mojeng/faqLst.php?dcode=006&pcode=090
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technically you are supposed to have an onward ticket to enter Korea as a tourist. I've gotten in several times without one though. I entered without one as recently as 4 days ago after a short trip abroad.

They gave me a bit of a problem at the airport before I left for Korea but I just told them I had another ticket sitting at home (at my apartment in Kroea). They made me sign a paper stating as much and that was it.

You can claim you have an E-ticket or just book a flight and cancel it later. Often they won't even ask about an onward ticket.
sadsac

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By law you must, but that said, nobody has ever questioned my wife or I, regarding an onward ticket. The only time we were forced to purchase one was in Oz and KAL refused to board us without one. They cop a huge fine if they are caught carrying passengers without an onward flight. Some do, many don't bother. Smile
marista99

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't asked for one. No one even mentioned it at all, the only reason I knew of this requirement was by looking at the regulations on the embassy web page.

Several of our adult students work in arrivals at the Incheon airport. My boss actually asked them about this before I arrived, just to make sure. They told her there was no way it'd be a problem. And it wasn't.
hippie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came in on a one-way ticket twice. The first was with Northwest Airlines out of Los Angeles. I had bought a fully-refundable return ticket with the intention of getting my full refund from KAL (a relative of mine told me about the onward ticket rule after I had puchased the one-way), but the guy at the check-in counter didn't even ask to see it.

The second time was exactly a month ago with Singapore Airlines out of San Francisco. The guy at the check-in counter again didn't ask me about an onward ticket, but he was still just a trainee. Maybe someone with more experience would have asked about it.

Me recommendation would be to go to the airport with just the one-way, but be willing and ready to buy the onward ticket if the airline asks. But beware, because some airlines will charge you to cancel a reservation, even if you buy business class. Many airlines, however, will refund the whole price, as long as you get the unrestricted ticket.

I have never had any trouble with immigration. They have never asked me about an onward ticket, and I have entered Korea at least 7 times in the past 4 years. But make sure your friend fills out both the arrival card and the departure card when he comes. And when he fills it out, it should have a valid flight number with a matching Next City. I think people run into trouble when they don't have the departure card filled out.
prosodic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marista99 wrote:
I wasn't asked for one. No one even mentioned it at all, the only reason I knew of this requirement was by looking at the regulations on the embassy web page.

Several of our adult students work in arrivals at the Incheon airport. My boss actually asked them about this before I arrived, just to make sure. They told her there was no way it'd be a problem. And it wasn't.

Marista, you entered Korea on an E2 visa, right? Regulations are different. The OP is asking about people who enter on a C4, tourist visa.
marista99

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prosodic wrote:
marista99 wrote:

Marista, you entered Korea on an E2 visa, right? Regulations are different. The OP is asking about people who enter on a C4, tourist visa.

No, I was on a tourist visa. I went on a visa run a couple weeks later.
MixtecaMike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got here (ICN) yesterday from Mexico City via LAX. I had an unconfirmed e-ticket out to Narita that a friend paid for, but I was never asked for any evidence of this.

BTW travelled with Aussie passport, no visa.
little mixed girl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my visa says C-3.
both this year and last when i went to korea i was never asked to present a return ticket. but now that i think about it, on the immigration card there's a space that asks for the name/flight number of the return flight... Confused
peppergirl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean immigration has never once asked me about an onward ticket (entered here at leas 15 times).

BUT I came in on a one way once with Alitalia and they almost didn't let me board because I didn't have a return ticket.

So immigration is really not the problem, it depends entirely on the airline you're flying with... I guess saying you have an e-ticket would be the best solution.
marista99

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or couldn't you say you plan to continue on to Japan or China via the ferry?
wuzza

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

guys,

thanks for all the info. i originally posted because another friend of mine wasn't allowed to board in NY about three years ago. She also lost any refund on the ticket because the travel agent had specifically asked her if she had a visa and she had said yes.

I have thought about buying a ferry ticket and posting that to my friend, but I think a printed out email confirmation from a Korean travel agency is the best way to go, and he can always cancel it later.

thanks a lot,
Eoin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: