Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alright alright, let's be negative about korea then.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lawrence

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous original list. I am debating whether or not I can slap
that on my advanced class. Most of them are pretty humorless. Did
anyone mention the whole gay thing in Korea..as in "no gays in Korea"
haha, but we love to fondle and molest each other..but , you know , were not gay..wink wink.. Korea Herald today had an article about "Korean
male sensitivity " (read: gay). That one really gets me. The fundamental
truth in all of this (highlighted by the comment about "It's a foreigner,
he's tall, etc.") is that there is zero subtlety in Korea. Koreans simply will
not allow it. There's is a world of the obvious, and then lying and deception to obscure the glaring inconsistencies.
As for the gentleman who feels slighted by being referred to as a
guest; for me , guest is the closest association I want with this shithole.
I tell people I got lost on my way to somewhere else.
desultude

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep reading here about how the "sensitivity" and same-sex affection of Korean men is a sign of some deeply seated, repressed homosexuality. Does this explain the same sex affection seen in almost all non-Western cultures? Mexican men have machismo, but they are also very affectionate and sensitive. The same with Cuban men.

In fact, it seems that the opposite conclusion could be drawn, and has been by some gender scholars- that it is deep seated homophobia that drives some cultures to eschew open displays of same-sex affection. And that homophobia is really driven by the self-loathing of people who fear their own homo-erotic desires.

I think that, in spite of all of the sexist faults of Korean Culture, Korean men are often more secure in their manhood and sexuality, and therefore are not threatened by being affectionate and sensitive, than a lot of the western men that I know.

This is just another interpretation of the culture here, and is probably as wrong as any other. My point is simply that those who see homosexuality in Korean male behavior are more than likely projecting rather than interpreting.
maxxx_power

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out dancing the other night with a group of new friends. Most of the women had sat down but the guys were still dancing. Then the DJ began to dance and strip off his clothes, all the dudes on the dance floor began to cheer and make cat calls...egging the stripper on to show more skin.

To me this was pretty gay even for Korean men, but that may be my repressed homosexual guilt showing through, NOT!
jaderedux

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mexican men have machismo, but they are also very affectionate and sensitive.

Ummm...my dad was Mexican so was my Grandfather (from Mexico). I visited my relatives several times in Mexico. I um..never once saw them ( the men) holding hands or draping themselves all over each other. That being said they do hug (the bear type) coming or going....but I have never in any of the parks or places I have been, I have never seen men holding hands that are over the age of 6 or so.

Mexican men that I know DO NOT dance with each other .....the women do but the men don't! Sensitive....uh....well...I am not sure what you mean. Most I know are incredibly romantic, fiercly jealous, and will fight at the drop of a hat. They also write great poetry and can sing love songs that will drive you mad.

I have to say as a woman I am somewhat uncomfortable with the "boys club" here. I see grown men holding hands or draped all over each other or dancing together in a club. Teenage boys kissing each others hands and holding hands in the subway makes me feel a little wierd.

I bet men here love all the kissy stuff girls do though... Twisted Evil

A male friend of mine once said that he thought it was strange that Korean men never really even seem to notice women. Korean or other wise. I have notice this also. I am not saying it is good or bad it just seems it is.....

Anyway a little off topic sorry guys but the Mexican thing threw me a little. My 2cents.

Jade
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rand Al Thor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corporal wrote:
Rand Al Thor wrote:

every person with Korean blood in them is Korean even if they can't speak Korean and are 3rd or 4th generation Canadian/American/Australian/ or whatever

This does make sense according to the way Koreans view things, but so far it hasn't been my personal experience. My daughter is one month old, and so far all the Koreans who have seen her, and there have been plenty, have commented either that aSmile she looks like me, and not her father, or bSmile she looks like a foreign baby. In a nice way, mind you, like, "oh, what a cute waygook baby", but still, no one has ever observed that she has any Korean features or resembles her father at all.

Then there is my mother in law, who asked me if I thought the baby was beautiful, and when I replied, "yes," asked, "why?"

just rambling I guess now...it's been peeving me lately...

I was referring only to Korean Koreans, not mixed children. THat is a different story. I know as my daughter is mixed.
desultude

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jade-

My point about Mexican men is that they are far more demonstrative, and emotional, than men from the U.S., for example. I was just drawing from cultures which I have been around a fair amount. I have seen drunk Mexican men with their arms draped around each others shoulders, I have also seen Mexican, my former Mexican boyfriend included, openly cry. And what about that Mexican wrestling? I will cede to your experience of Mexican culture, and Mexican men are certainly not as physical with each other as Koreans.

Arab men kiss each other and embrace. Many other cultures display same sex affection quite openly and freely. The exceptions seems to me to be countries like the U.S., Canada, and Great Britain.

I would say that what is unfortunate is cultures where same-sex affection is limited to wrestling and fanny slaps on the ball field (both behaviors which could be seen as seriously homoerotic.)

It doesn't take a PhD to understand that how we see the world is largely a product of our own psyches.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: just for the record. . . Reply with quote

This relates to some posts way up on the thread:

The printing press was not invented in Korea (for fear of your life, don't tell that to a Korean). The printing press was invented in China, BUT (and this is where the confusion stems from) the first printed book was made in Korea.

As to the mixed blood thing. It seems if the person has done something notable, the Korean genes show through and that person is Korean. Otherwise, they're not. A few years back a Miss Something-or-Other (might've been Miss America or Miss Georgia or something like that) was 1/8 Korean and was written up locally as a Korean.

What bothers me. . . Koreans like bragging about their 5,000 year history. First, the assumption is based on a starting date of 2,277 B.C., so it isn't even good math. Second, the only written history of Korea comes from Chinese sources just around the end of the B.C. times so we don't really know when Korea became a country as such (unless we consider Korea to have become a country at around 668 under Shilla).

Again, under fear for your life don't tell Koreans their history.
1. They won't believe it.
2. They'll get angry
rapier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to spoil the party here folks, but I've had a fantastic day! I got a sexy email early in the morning so I had a positive energy- filled day- my classes went like clckwork- no problems. The kids all seemed enthusiastic. Staff that don't normally talk to me were smiling. Why? Because I was exuding an air of confidence and happiness. Maybe thats all it comes down to. If you're a negative person, no place is good enough for you. If you don't let anything bug you, gradually your environment will become a happier one to. its all what you project- will come back to you!
desultude

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier-

Amen to that!
rapier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:58 am    Post subject: rapiers rose tinted sungasses! Reply with quote

While I'm in a good mood, heres some tips on enjoying your teaching day:
1) Try not to think of other staff's lack of communication as insulting or coldness. Instead, see it as shyness and awkwardness at trying to speak English..
2)Be funny and enthusiastic. It rubs off on all around you. Kids respect humour far above all else. So do adults. You will suddenly find the kids are even enthusiastic about boring textbooks. If you are bored and miserable, even a day trip to disneyland won't impress them.
3)Don't care too much. Start every lesson afresh.
4)Don't take anything personally. People and kids behave their own way for entirely their own reasons.
5)Be aware of the huge range of miscommunication, and don't be paranoid. I used to punish the kids constantly for imitating what I said until I realised that this is the most natural and effective way that they learn.
6) If the staffroom is too stiif and awkward, try to speak some korean to them. It lightens up everyone.
7) Above all, try to have fun.
sickboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its an elevator!! Wait until the people leave it before you try to weasel your way in! Much easier that way!!!!
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jaderedux"]
Quote:
Mexican men that I know DO NOT dance with each other .....the women do but the men don't! Sensitive....uh....well...I am not sure what you mean. Most I know are incredibly romantic, fiercly jealous, and will fight at the drop of a hat. They also write great poetry and can sing love songs that will drive you mad.

Do you have any that you could introduce me to? Wink
Circus Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Its an elevator!!!! Wait until the people leave it before you try to weasel your way in! Much easier that way!!!!

Amen brother!

CM
Butterfly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Bus Reply with quote

The bus drivers are beastly in Korea aren't they?
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: just for the record. . . Reply with quote

the_beaver wrote:
This relates to some posts way up on the thread:

The printing press was not invented in Korea (for fear of your life, don't tell that to a Korean). The printing press was invented in China, BUT (and this is where the confusion stems from) the first printed book was made in Korea.

Ok, I just looked this up:

China invented the first press: it was made of wood. It was invented around 1040 AD or so. Korea made the first "movable metal type" press i.e. the kind Guttenburg would invent later on. My source is the BBC and I found a couple other websites that backed up that info as well.

http://www.open2.net/renaissance2/doing/gutenberg/process_printing.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: