Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Signing a new contract soon....any suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rosewood

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Signing a new contract soon....any suggestions Reply with quote

I will be signing a new contract with the same company for the 2nd year. Any suggestions on what to ask for?
PootyTang

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the salary negotiations over?

Quote:
�If trouble were money, I�d have more money than any man should.�
The King of Kwangju

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money is easy to find and is replaceable. Time isn't.

The upshot? Demand more vacation time.
rosewood

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: signing suggestions Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.
No, I have not signed anything yet. In truth, I have only just completed my nineth month in a twelve month contract. I am fairly certain I will remain where I am for the next year. I'd like to stay ahead of the negotiations and know what I should/can/must request. Presently I receive 2 million a month for 28 hours a week and 15,000 for overtime. They pay half my medical. Fairly standard contract from what I have read.

King, The vacation time was an excellent suggestion. Obvious, but I missed it completely.
john

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: LOR Reply with quote

Put in your contract that the employer will give you a letter of release after 330 days of the contract has been completed.
Anda

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Three months is a long time. If one has a job soon, one will be lucky. What with exports dropping and SARS along with wars and a crashing dollar and share markets; I'd say that anyone working for a hogwon and getting paid 2 mil will be very lucky. A job with EPIK will be a little more safe. Their top pay rate will be 2,300.000 in 3 months time for a maxium of 22 hours teaching a week with a lot more holidays than a hogwan. Airfares and accommodation are paid also.
rosewood

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 2:25 am    Post subject: tks Reply with quote

Thanks, John. Great suggestion. I shall include that 330 days release! letter.
Anda, as for the world falling apart...naw... But tks for the response.
Gord

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Signing a new contract soon....any suggestions Reply with quote

rosewood wrote:
I will be signing a new contract with the same company for the 2nd year. Any suggestions on what to ask for?

You could do what I have. Salary by the hour, pay your own housing, and they agree to list any secondary locations you wish to work at as long as you agree to make the school the primary scheduled place to be in the event of a scheduling overlap.

Then negociate for something like "only" 30,000 Won an hour, for example. If you're doing large classes or difficult classes, charge more.

Up shot, let's say you teach 100 hours a month. You'll make three million, pay 300,000 -500,000 in housing costs, and pocket the pay increase. Plus you'll have a lot less sitting around doing nothing as you'll get scheduled only when you're needed. More time off when you're not, or a good chunk of cash when you are. Plus with a visa sponser who will pimp you out you can charge other schools 40-50,000 Won an hour for your services and work there legally.
Lost Seoul

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Signing a new contract Reply with quote

If you have saved up a reasonable amount of cash you could ask for a copy of the Korean contract (the one that would be used in a court of law) and get a soliciter to look over it for you before signing it. If you don't have that kind of cash and you have a Korean friend you have grown close to you could ask them if they would be kind enough to translate it for you.
rosewood

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: interesting suggestions Reply with quote

Gord, sounds like an ambitions schedule. I am relatively new to teaching ESL industry. It sounds like you're doing freelance ESL. Most of the work I managed to get at home was freelance. I got tired of the constant looking for a new contract. But thank so much for your suggestion. I think in the future I will consider that. Susceptible to Itchy feet!

Lost Seoul, I haven't saved up near the amount of cash I would consider reasonable (at this point). Does that mean obtaining a copy of the tight Korean contract is expensive or is it the lawyer? Or do you mean the contract I presently have with my bosses that they have filed with immigration?
My employeers are very reasonable. I am not concerned about them taking me for a ride presently. However, I realize anything can happen.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Signing a new contract soon....any suggestions Reply with quote

Gord wrote:
[

Up shot, let's say you teach 100 hours a month. You'll make three million, pay 300,000 -500,000 in housing costs, and pocket the pay increase. Plus you'll have a lot less sitting around doing nothing as you'll get scheduled only when you're needed. More time off when you're not, or a good chunk of cash when you are. Plus with a visa sponser who will pimp you out you can charge other schools 40-50,000 Won an hour for your services and work there legally.

You must have a really nice director who lets you only teach 100 hours a month for 3 million won. Most directors in Korea would NEVER go for that. They'd rather find some newbie just off the plane or some broke packpacker and hire them for 1.8 million for 120 hours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: