Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you think about allowing women a sick day for PMS?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Real Reality

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: What do you think about allowing women a sick day for PMS? Reply with quote

Korea legally allows women to have one day off each month for menstrual related problems. Is this a good idea?

What do you think about women using PMS as a reason to complain and ignore other people's feelings?

Here is an opinion from one woman:

Why do women not take well to being told that they are being irrational, when they are menstruating? Because you are being an ass, and you don't know what y ou're talking about. There is a difference between being irrational, and being highly emotional. Why do women not like being told they must be on the rag, when they are arguing or complaining? Because, whether they can name the fallacy or not, this is jus t bad reasoning: you don't feel like taking out the garbage, so if your woman is arguing that you should do what you promised, you try to divert attention from your error by making a personal attack on her instead of addressing the issue (that's an ad hominem). Fallacious arguments are tremendously irritating, even to people who are not menstruating. What should a man do, when a woman friend is suffering from any of the above effects? There's little you can do in a positive sense. You can't "solve" this "problem" for her, and you can't control the situation. Respond to what she is saying, not to what you think her chemical motivation is. Many women are on the defensive because of a history of attacks on their femalehood, so if you wa nt to talk about how she is when she menstruates, you're better off doing it when she's not menstruating. And remember, we put up with you.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've discussed this before with various people in Korea- sure the law is on the books, but has anyone ever met [or even heard of] a woman who has actually used it? No one I've talked to about it [friends, co-workers, wife, family, Koreans and longtime expats] has ever heard of a woman actually taking one of those sickdays... maybe it's the kiss of death? Sure you can take the sickday, just don't expect to have your job very much longer?
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can tell, a Korean can only take a day off if they've been decapitated.
weatherman

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will bite. I think it is a joke. If a women really isn't feelling well and doesn't want to face the day, take it as a general sick day. Then again, Koreans don't really take sick days, and bring there condition to work.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If what you are saying is true, which I have never even heard of before, then I think it would unneeded.

We don't have this kind of law on the books in Canada, Ireland or Britain, not sure about America, though I doubt it.

Are Korean women more prone to the effects of PMS than other women? (some may argue... Wink )

But seriousy, I have never even heard of such a law.

I remember looking at the labour laws in Korea some time ago, and this certainly stands out as a weird law. If it was in there, it never jumped out at me (which it would have, had it been there).

Is it a new law, or are you just having some fun at our expense?
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weatherman wrote:
I will bite. I think it is a joke. If a women really isn't feelling well and doesn't want to face the day, take it as a general sick day. Then again, Koreans don't really take sick days, and bring there condition to work.

It's no joke, there really is such a law.
General sick days- hmmm I've rarely seen Koreans take those either. Like WB said it seems like you have to be missing a limb, an organ, half your blood, or be restrained in a hospital bed to take a sick day.
desultude

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be a bit strange to have such a specific law on the books, but remember that in the U.S. there are still a lot of anachronistic laws on the books, regarding race, gender and sexual relations (with whom, how, where, etc.) They seldom get changed without some sort of lawsuit. Usually they gather dust until some overzealous cop decides to enforce one. Louisiana may have finally gotten rid of all of its miscengenation laws, but I doubt it. Here in Korea it should not be surprising that the legal system is slow to catch up with society, its that way most everywhere.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend's company actually does provide menstruation leave as a matter of policy, and she has taken advantage of it a few times.

She tells me that no male supervisor has ever asked any questions any time a woman asks to take her monthly menstruation leave.

In her company, the policy is even occasionally abused by women who will take the last day of one month and then the first day of the next month for a two-day menstruation vacation! Laughing

And yes, this law is on the books and you can find it as a provision of the Korean Labor Standards Act.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's bloody aweful. I didn't find it when I looked at the labour laws. I guess I'll have to flow through it again next month. I usually absorb fully what I read. Odd I didn't see it.

I do read different Korean laws periodically, but the last little while my free time has been spotty at best.

When I get back to Korea and my routine becomes regular, I'll have another look.

Until then, I'm here in my pad in Canada counting down the days....
weatherman

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulsajo wrote:
weatherman wrote:

It's no joke, there really is such a law.
General sick days- hmmm I've rarely seen Koreans take those either. Like WB said it seems like you have to be missing a limb, an organ, half your blood, or be restrained in a hospital bed to take a sick day.

Yeah, I was implying that the concept of the law is a joke, i know the law is on the books.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weatherman wrote:
Yeah, I was implying that the concept of the law is a joke, i know the law is on the books.

Oh. Didn't catch that. My bad.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall reading an article in the KH, a long time ago, that stated Korean and one other country, I can't remember, were the only countries to have the menstruation law on the books.
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thread locked, this topic has been done enough
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: