Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

am i being unreasonable/greedy?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steven g

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: am i being unreasonable/greedy?! Reply with quote

i have been checking out this board since i arrived in korea and to be honest thought a lot of people on here were simply whingers until this week, but i need to pick ur brains . . .
we recently moved buildings with our hagwon into a plush new four storey block and my boss decided to expand into the kindergarten business cos everything was going well. after being here 3 months she was already asking me to consider renewing for another year unlike 2 otyers who started with me so i took it that she respected me as a teacher.she also heard i had a friend with boyfriend in pohang newly over here and repewatedly asked me to get them up here as recently as two weeks ago, but they said no as the boyfriend didn't want to teach all kindy kids, so she offered some hours extra to us which myself and a fellow workre who like her and get on well with were happy to take.
however, we're on a standard 1.8 mill contract for anything up to thirty hours a week, yet all shes done is dish out some of our random 7 and 8 o'clock classes just to bring us within the thirty hour pay scale. we'd have done these hours anyway as we had to b at school between 2.30 and 9 whether we were teaching or not, yet now my whole afternoon is disrupted with random hour long breaks here and there.
i'm not in this job just for the money, cos my fellow worker who are now teaching the kindy kids have bent over backwards in the past and stayed on late on many occassion with no thought or request for overtime, and yet now feel we are being shafted up the ass !!!
i feel i'm a pretty good teacher (they trust me with many advanced books that noone else teaches that often require preparation/marking/worksheets being prepared onnmy part to help them progress), and yet i've lost out on all levels, not getting any extra reward for having my afternoon messed up, i adore the kids i teach and have sacrificed some of my best classes to help my boss out (many were apparently really upset today that i would no longer b teahing them . . .

HELP ?!?, am i being unreasonable, if not, wot advice can u give me
(at the moment i just feel she is being a penny pinching bitch, prepared a fortnight ago to hire two foreign teachers on full contracts, now not happy to give us ten extra hours pay a week which would b the same rate as normal)
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steven g wrote:

Quote:
i have been checking out this board since i arrived in korea and to be honest thought a lot of people on here were simply whingers until this week, but i need to pick ur brains . . .

Ahhhh....I get it. We're wingers unless you need something from us...

Hmm....

That's ok. As the king of whining, and on behalf of all those who whinge and whine, we forgive you. Wink

Quote:
however, we're on a standard 1.8 mill contract

I never have heard of a standard 1.8 mil contract. Most contracts should start at 2.0. Anyway....

Quote:
yet now my whole afternoon is disrupted with random hour long breaks here and there.

You mean split shifts?

Quote:
i'm not in this job just for the money,
obviosuly not because you should be getting far more than 1.8...double-so if you are teaching kindies!

Quote:
and yet now feel we are being shafted up the ass !!!

Because you are....

Quote:
HELP ?!?

Well, I think I got the gist of your question, but I am not sure.

You want more hours, and thus more money?

Is she breaking the contract?

What exactly do you want to come from this situation?
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Wall of Whiner wrote:
steven g wrote:

[
Quote:

Because you are....

[

How do you figure? Steven said that the boss was staying within the 30 hours a week limit.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
steven g wrote:

[
Quote:

Because you are....

[

How do you figure? Steven said that the boss was staying within the 30 hours a week limit.

1.8 is not a lot for (a) teaching kindergartens, and (b) doing split shifts and having to sit around with your finger in your backside and not allowed to leave the hagwon.

ANY Hagwon that pays under 2 million won for doing kindergartens is not worth working for unless you're getting off light on your hours. 30 hours a week with split shifts in between on top of that is hardly "light".
Gord

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.8 is not a lot for (a) teaching kindergartens, and (b) doing split shifts and having to sit around with your finger in your backside and not allowed to leave the hagwon.

ANY Hagwon that pays under 2 million won for doing kindergartens is not worth working for unless you're getting off light on your hours. 30 hours a week with split shifts in between on top of that is hardly "light".

It's not a split shift. Working from 9am to noon, then again from 5pm to 8pm is a split shift. Having a one hour or two hour break during a regular work block does not a split shift make.

Second, it's just whining. The person went from teaching classes he likes with students he likes to teaching kindergarten coupled with his teaching more hours per than before but still under the 30 hours a week agreed to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: