Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP! HELP! Employer trying to end my contract! HELP! HELP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NotInKansasAnymore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject: HELP! HELP! Employer trying to end my contract! HELP! HELP! Reply with quote

I have been in Korea for 9 months working a one-year contract. My employer informed me last week that they are having cutbacks and that they have found another hagwon in another area that has agreed to hire me for the remaining three months of my contract! This is very disturbing to me since I only have three months left. I do not want to uproot myself and move to another area for such a short amount of time, needless to mention the stress of learning a new school, new students, a new area, etc.

Can they legally do this? It has nothing to do with my job performance as they've stated that I am an excellent teacher. The children and parents love me and the owner is very happy with the value I have brought to the school.

The new hagwon pays 500,000 less per month than my current salary.

I'm in need of advice! I don't want to be antagonistic and cause a war, but I don't want to be taken advantage of either nor do I want this hassle so near the end of my contract!

Any advice would be appreciated!
Quote:

Last edited by NotInKansasAnymore on Thu May 01, 2003 8:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
thinker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that 'legally' the owner has to give you a months notice before something like that, best thing to do would be discussing it with the local immigration office to see if he can actually do it or not, there's also a posting here, if you search, about legalities and such. 500,000/m less is a lot, and what about your bonus and airfare, is he still going to be responsible for them? Have you expressed all your concerns with your boss?

Sorry I can't be of more help, good luck with it.
princess

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My school is doing the sme thing to me. I get paid more than the other teachers at my school because I have two years of experience and they are all fresh to the teaching scene. Two have been there 7 months, one just finished a year, etc. They fired me Friday night with 2 weeks notice when it should be one month. I have been there for almost two months. They gave me lame excuses and told me I was a good teacher but I just don't fit in with the school. Then, they proceeded to tell me that I don't prepare well enough and I told them that I prepare as much as other teachers and then they turned around and said well,yeah you prepare enough. They said I yelled at some kids and their parents complained and they want to leave because of me. ALL the teachers yell. I have heard them. I was too shy to teach an open class for parents and they threw that into the mix. When I said it was not in my contract, they said well your contract says "OTHER DUTIES". At one teachers' meeting they showed us a list of every teacher and how many students he/she hs lost in the past 3 months. I had only neem there a month and only lost 3. One guy who had been there a month, lost about 11. One Korean woman lost about 22 after a month. Plus, I was the only foreign teacher to turn in alll of my lesson plans on time. They even asked everyone to applaud me at the meeting. Then I get fired? They also said they will write me a good recommendation and find me another school. They said they have 3 schools who are interested in me. Of course, they will get a finder's fee for my head. They try to force each teacher to clean an assigned classroom, even though it is not in our contracts. They just hired a new guy and it IS in his contract to clean a room:I mean janitor all the way:Mopping,sweeping,taking out trash, the works. I got no warning. I just got canned and in a hof of all places. The other teachers were probably in on it, too. They all slowly and discreetly left the table leaving me there with the two managers and then I got canned. Funny things is,after they fired me,the female director called one of the teachers who left asking her to come back. I am no fool. It was planned I am sure. Well, they haven't seen plans yet. They will wish they never messed with me when I am through with them. I will probably get a lawyer.
bellum99

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: lawyers cost money Reply with quote

I looked into getting a lawyer once and they wanted like 3 million won. What is the point then of getting one. The school will feel the same way about it also and they won't get a lwayer...it is not worth it for either party to get a lwayer.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bellum99

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: nice spelling......heh Reply with quote

Yes people, I know I spelled the word wrong.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: