Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moral Dillema

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skippy

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Moral Dillema Reply with quote

I have a minor moral dilema. I am working part time (under the table) for a Hagwon. I have been working for about one month with them. About two hours max a day. Making some ok money get paid weekly. He pays by the minute simply put 25 min is 25 min. NOT two 25 min classes is one hour. Now this school is trying to get a full time teacher. But he has had no luck in getting one.

Know the owner has asked me to give him notice if I am to leave. I think one week is fair but this guy would like to have me give two weeks or more. Or even continue to work until he finds someone else. I do want to do the honorable thing. But I am feeling this is part time and short time in the end. That is if I did not want to show up the next day I could. The school has no reason to hold me - air plane ticket, contract, etc.

Also I am working part time at another school for a few days and have conflicts in the schedule. The school I work at for a few days pays more and longer hours. And recently the other school where I have worked for a month told me not to come to work for a few days over the Childrens Day Holiday(Childrens day yes but two normal working days when I need money NO). And I feel if the owner can treat me like part time and not to work for a few days I can do the same to the school. Plus he even cut back classes more. And I want to skip his school for one day to work elsewhere for more money.

I mean I can always find full time work and part time in short order. So should I shaft the school I work with now. The cons are:
the money - pays by the minute and in the end is not very much about 240,00 after working about 10 hours.
the children - most are ok but a few are hellish.
the commute - I travel over 1 1/2 hours by bus to get there.

Pros are:
Ok school
Hours are short. For a lazy bastard like me.

So what is your advice people. Should I just leave the school or do the honorable thing and give him some time.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should probably get a VISA and go legit before you get deported. If the owner gets pissed at you, what is to stop him from reporting you to immigration?
Skippy

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do want to work FULL time and legally. I am just working while I look. Through I am taking my sweet ass time. And I do worry about the getting turned in by him. But my part time boss has nothing really of mine. I have no phone number or permanent address. He does have copies of my resume and degree. But no real evidence. Could accusations against me prevent me from getting a legal job in the future? Or trying to leave the country?

Skippy
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want to hear the truth but here it is anyways; in your own country, you'd get pissed off if illegal aliens were working under the table. That is one of the many reasons why legit foreign teachers have problems in korea.
Of course immigration can find you by just your resume! Once you decide to go legit, they run your name through the system for whatever reason and can find out pretty much anything IF you were ratted out. If no one rats you out, you're safe until you get caught!
Your resume has your name, country, university, etc. these can easily be crossed checked if immigration wants. If you're in seoul, don't worry. Too many problems in seoulf for immigration to worry about an illegal.
Just get legit as soon as possible to avoid problems.
Skippy

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I do not get annoyed when illegals in my country get work. It is the laws of capitalism. They take jobs I would likely not take or they do jobs for a cheaper price then I would. it is a competetive world. If hagwons hired turkish people for part time at a lower price all the better for them. It means if I want to compete I would have to lower my price. And nothing stops hagwons from hiring Koreans to teach english. I just provide a waygook face.

True in this country my working part time and under the table makes things for some teachers difficult. Raises suspicions on some people who come in to the country. Reduces the amount of legit jobs hawgons and school create as part time people can be just as good and cheaper.

True as to the resume. I was thinking of making a fake resume to give when I look for part-time. As I am also thinking of teaching under an alias. Like if my name was Tom Robbins I would be Tim Roberts.

Well hopefully I can quit and quit ammically ( I hope that is right).
bap

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you should just give him a date. tell him that in two weeks exactly (or whatever you seem fit) you will be starting another position, and thank him for the work he's given you.
you travel too far and work too little for a cheapo director that's trying to screw you around.
plus, from my (very little) experience i've found that directors don't really look for replacements while you're still around, they just expect you to stay until someone else magically pops into their laps. so leave, and then your director will be forced to hire someone new (there are plenty of people out there that he can hire).
Tiberious aka Sparkles

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One reason your boss wouldn't think about ratting you out to immigration is that imm would lay down a stiff penalty on him as well. The penalty varies in each case, but for a guy looking to hire some full-time (and, I assume, legal) staff, immigration would, at the very least, disallow him from submitting any materials for an E2 visa for a couple of months. Plus, they could fine him, a lot if they choose to.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your boss turning you -- an illegal worker -- into immigration would be like someone going to the police to claim they were ripped off by a drug dealer.

Sparkles*_* (hasn't posted in the Job Discussion forum for quite a while, because who likes to discuss one's job? Let's talk about the finer points of Battlestar Galactica, in the OT forum)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: