Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my employer broke my contract

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bap

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: my employer broke my contract Reply with quote

hello everybody,
i was wondering if someone could offer me some advice. i've been working at a hagwon for two months (on a one year contract), everythings been going okay (just the usual problems with hours, pay, miscommunications - actually, no communication, etc.). but then the other day i came back from a lunch break and the school i was working for (a franchise) decided not to be a franchise anymore. i wasn't told anything, i just had to try to prepare for classes (without teachers guides - they were taken away) and make it through the day.
so my problem is this: my contract was with this franchise and because my boss decided to go solo (the school is still running but without a name or any supplements, teachers guides, etc.) i don't think my contract is valid anymore.
has this happened to anyone else? has my boss really broken the contract? what are my options here if i decide to leave or stay? can my boss still get me to pay back the airfare if i leave?
thanks,
bap

Last edited by bap on Tue May 06, 2003 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skippy

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a sticky situtation. Have you talked it out with your school. But I think in the long end your contract will be with the individual school. Not the franchise. Did you sign your contract with the school or did you get a boiler plate contract from the franchise. For the mean time. I woule do your classes and talk to your boss. If after a week of no notification I would maybe start looking elseware. Besides your current boss likely still needs you for the school. Also ask when he is getting new books for the school and tell him you need them.

Hope that helps.

Skippy the Evil Twin Twisted Evil
bap

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a contract with the franchise, so now my boss wants to make up a new contract for his new school. i don't really want to sign on again as he never really honored the first contract.
if i want to leave and find work elsewhere, do i still need a release letter?
will i have to reapply for a work visa? is this ligit?
Gord

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bap wrote:
i had a contract with the franchise, so now my boss wants to make up a new contract for his new school. i don't really want to sign on again as he never really honored the first contract.
if i want to leave and find work elsewhere, do i still need a release letter?
will i have to reapply for a work visa? is this ligit?

Unless your boss was running the company under a LLC, he would have just been a "doing business as" and he could change his name every day if he wanted. You work for him, and he sponsored your work visa. The business name is irrelevant.

If you leave you will be unable to get a new work visa until the current one expires in ten months.

Though this is a good opportunity to stop pretending you're a victim. Negociate a raise for yourself. Cite how you will be more involved in creating a program and how the school will be better with you. This isn't a catastrophe, this is an opportunity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: