Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bring a gift for your boss or potential Korean friends.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SanatKumara

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:21 am    Post subject: Bring a gift for your boss or potential Korean friends. Reply with quote

I am leaving the States in a few days to do my first teaching gig. I am wondering if anyone can advise me on whether I should bring a gift for the director of the hagwon (a female) and if I should get some other small gifts for potential Korean friends. Packing everything I will need into two suit cases and carry-on is problematic enough, but I want to do the right thing.

Thanks!
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually do.

Nothing fancy. In Canada, we have these little maple syrup bottles at duty-free. I get them one of those.
Marathe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bring a page of canadian flag stickers

the kids love them
mokpochica

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marathe wrote:

the kids love them

Maybe she should bring American flag stickers since she's from the States and they're easier to find than the Canadian ones. Wink

I think it's a good idea to bring gifts for your director and the teachers. Something small is good. Some things I've brought that were a big hit were Russel Stovers chocolates for teacher to share and calendars with pictures of my state. Postage stamps, pennies and other coins, stickers, postcards, and small things like that are good for student prizes.

Alcohol goes over well with colleagues a lot, but be aware that some devout Christians in Korea do not drink alcohol at all. Anyway, above all it's the thought that counts and Koreans will think you are generous if you put some thought into buying them a small gift now--and perhaps once or twice while whenn you're working with them.
sillywilly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brough tmaple syrup and I dont think it as received all that warmly
SanatKumara

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they might be tired of geting maple syrup over and over from the Canadians. I thought of bringing some special chocalates that are made by a chocalatier in Seattle. However, just a small box for the director though. To be honest, I really don't have any room left in my luggage to bring any thing for the other teachers. I am already sitting on top of my luggage to get it to zip! Surprised
posco's trumpet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: bring whisky Reply with quote

Last edited by posco's trumpet on Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marathe

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mokpochica wrote:
Marathe wrote:

the kids love them

Maybe she should bring American flag stickers since she's from the States and they're easier to find than the Canadian ones. Wink

see what happens when you don't read the whole post and just the heading?

man i'm stunned sometimes
W.T.Carl

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest a fine Californian wine or Kentucky Bourbon. Given the price of these in Korea compared to those of the States or Canada, it would very well received. If you come from the UK, bring a nice single malt Scotch.
SanatKumara

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your suggestios! I am sitting on top of my luggage at this point and the director is a female, so I got her a nice box of chocalates from local chocalatier. It really is the best I can do!
mokpochica

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway...you can always buy stuff later for teachers at your school--and Western stuff is widely available, especially in Seoul. I think buying some 'dduk' (sticky rice cake) from a 'dduk jip' or some nice strawberries/fruit for all to share would be much appreciated--in many cases even more than some gifts you would bring from home.

Showing the teachers at your school appreciation like this will be warmly received. They'll probably remark on how Korean you are becoming.
paulc

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I flew out last Tuesday, and I'm currently in Thailand. I had planned to get some gifts from the Duty Free shop - like specially presented tea or coffee, mugs, pens, basically stuff with English flags on them.... and I dearly wanted to buy one of those snow-shaker toys for the daughter of the school director.

However, I had a few issues with my luggage, and had to leave half of it behind Sad which meant that space was limited, and time was too short to go shopping in duty free....

So I guess I'll be picking up a few items from Thailand... not sure what though? Suggestions would be welcomed.
The Marchioness

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a funny that will crack you up: brought a bottle of Jonnie Walkers for the director; brought a jar of honey for the wife. As soon as they unwrapped it, she informed me that he adores honey - especially Canadian honey, but that he doesn't drink. Never mind, says she, I'm a dedicated drinker and get drunk regularly and sure enough, the little woman does exactly that. Not only that, but she has proceeded to get drunk every night of the few days that I've been here and makes no bones about it. I'm staying at their apartment in the meantime and have plenty of opportunities to observe.

In addition, she has informed me that she does not do the following: no cleaning, no cooking, no laundry, no shopping (with the exception of clothes and cosmetics). The ajumma comes in and does the cleaning and the laundry while the director does his own shopping, cooking, and tidying up after himself and after HER. She is the total antithesis of Korean womanhood.

Makes me crack up every time I see him carry her cereal bowl to the sink and put the milkcarton back into the fridge; she won't do it.
paulc

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I arrived last night....

I picked up some Johnny Walker, and some big boxes of Toblorone for the director her familiy. Haven't given it to them yet, since I only saw them for about 2 minutes.
Starperson

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 4:44 am    Post subject: coffee as a gift Reply with quote

About bringing ground coffee...do families usually have a coffee plunger in the house or drip machine in the house?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: