Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost diplomas for E 1 Visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan sebold

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 3:06 am    Post subject: Lost diplomas for E 1 Visa Reply with quote

Something odd here. My university wa Confused Confused nted my orignial diplomas last summer to apply for my E-1 visa--not photocopies--to be submitted to the Immigration office in Pusan. Well, when I finally got around to picking them up from my university, they said that they didn't have them.
(Another instructor had also submitted his original diplomas, but he got his back.) So I went down to Immigration today and told them that my university had submitted my original diplomas and that they had somehow been lost and that perhaps they could check my file to see if they were in there. But Immigration said that they did not require original diplomas for an E-1 Visa--only photocopies. What the heck is going on? Is someone trafficing in university diplomas? The university wants to keep the original making you believe that it is needed for immigration, and then it disappears. It has been done before--that lady politician from Yonsei University who had a fake diploma from Princeton University.

There is an ad right now on Dave's for a Korean university that is demanding that you submit original diplomas, that this is what is needed by Immigration. What is up?

At any rate, I have replaced my Master's diploma, but my bachelor's is going to take until August. I feel really bad that I lost my original Master's diploma because it had a nice folder and protective covering. Now all I have is a piece of paper. I am really getting depressed at all these stupid little things in this country.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as my understanding goes, you need either your original degree or a notorised copy to get your E2 visa (not just a plain old photocopy) and once you have either your E2 visa or your paperwork to get one (say the papers you need for a visa run to Japan) neither immigration or your institution requires your degree anymore.

Not sure if there is some greater consipiracy going here... but I'm more likely to believe a bit of carelessness on everyone's part.

Sorry for you loss Dan, but let this be a reminder to those of you reading this who do not, but should have your degree in your posession. Chase it up now, not months later when someone's misplaced or lost it and blames another department or immigration or whoever...
dan sebold

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 3:28 am    Post subject: lost diplomas Reply with quote

Well, does that also mean that when I change to another university that I no longer need my original diplomas for the new Visa because I had already done that before for the first E-1 Visa?

Kamsa hamnida
waterbaby

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were re-signing with the SAME university then you wouldn't need the originals, just renew your visa, but if you're going to a NEW university, then yes, unfortunately, you need your original documents again Sad

I wonder, can you get an E2 visa with your MA Degree only? (you still have this in your posession, yes?) Trouble with asking immigration is that they are consistently inconsistent.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

BTW - Dan - do you have an E1 or E2 visa? I don't know what an E1 visa is and the information/opinions I'm sharing here is based on E2 visas for nationals of the US, Canada, Sth Africa, Australia, England, New Zealand and Ireland (did I forget anyone?) teaching English in Korea.
dan sebold

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An E-1 Visa is some sort of more prestigious university visa that the Koreans seem to genuflect more gracefully to, but is of no remunerative value in the market place other than perhaps another university may look upon it more favorably if you are changing jobs. (A friend of mine was asked in an interiew with a Korean university lately if he had one; the position was for an even higher guest lecturer visa of some sort.)

I currently have an E-1 Visa. At any rate I seem to be resolving the problem as I will have original diplomas quite soon. Thanks for your consideration.
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Originals not needed, however.... Reply with quote

Mr. Dan,

I can tell you from first hand experience that you do not need to supply any immigration office (or univ. for that matter) your originals. If so, then I am an exception to the case, as my originals are still in a perty-little box back home. They've never been in Korea. All I did prior to coming over was to have the Korean consulate/embassy near my home verify my degree (a simple task), then photocopy the original a slew o' times. They then put those silly stamps (ink and postage-like) on the back with their approval notice.

These copies have sufficed for different immigration offices and jobs, so what your place of employment wanted them for...you got me.

Cheers,

Ryst
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boss wanted my original degree - so I got it sent over - handed it to her, and she said "me keep"!!!! I was, understandably, horrified, and said, no, no, that is the original, I want it back. So she said I could have it back in a few weeks, still haven't got it!! That reminds me that I need to do something about it. If she wants my original, then she can pay for a new one. Maybe they like to keep them, sort of like a trophy Confused For some unknown reason.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Flower wrote:
Maybe they like to keep them, sort of like a trophy Confused For some unknown reason.

It's a control issue. In Korea they usually want the Original. If however you brought over a number of notorized copies then those are fine. I have always had to use my original except when renewing a contract.

If the owner won't return your degree to you, it is relatively simple to get a new one issued. you could also report it as theft to the police. It is your property not the hogwan/university's.
keguri

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an e-mail from the school I am supposed to start working for at the end of May. I had written to them to tell them that I had a notarized copy of my diploma (notarized by the Korean Consulate), but that it was notarized in July 2001, and would that be ok. They wrote back telling me that the Korean Immigration office now requires the original diploma. They apologized, saying that this is a new rule. In other words, they are telling me that notarized copies are no longer acceptable. Has anyone else heard the same thing? I absolutely will not mail my original diploma to anyone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: