Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help needed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MG

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: Help needed! Reply with quote

Hi,

I know you're probably all sick of things like this but please bear with me!!

I want to become an English teacher in Korea. Does anyone know the names of any REPUTABLE recruiters who have maybe got you or someone you know a job. I have found a couple on the web but having looked at this forum for the last couple of weeks it seems to me that not getting screwed is sometimes easier said than done.

Whoever can help me would gain my lasting gratitude. I know stuff like this always comes on but we all have to start somewhere.

Thanks
syclick

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I am getting my first job I can't really recommend anyone yet, but I have heard some good things about [url]SmilingKorea.com[/url].

They're also on the EFL-Law.com recommended recruiters list at http://efl-law.com/recruiters.white.listedA.htm.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe I'm just a bid jaded but..

You can take all the percautions in the world and still get screwed... your school might get bought out, a change in director they run out of money... things come up. You can't always expect your hagwon to be the same place when you start as it is when you finish your contract.

Do your research, lost seoul (pm him) has a good list of stuff both on hagwons and individual schools. Ask questions of current teachers but treat them with a grain salt if your doing your research from overseas.

In short there are things you can do to protect your self from getting screwed but if there's one thing I've learnt in life always expect and be prepared for the unexpected.

CLG
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just apply to schools directly. For the most part you gain nothing by going through a recruiter. I would suggest avoiding them.
marcy

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a good experience with eslprime.com They were recommended to me by someone else who had a good experience with them, BUT, I still found that some of the interviews they set me up with were with schools who were a bit shady. I found my best guide to be my conversation with the foreign teachers. Sometimes I would ask, "How do you like your coo-workers," or "How do you like your school," and the answers I got would be very evasive, obviously things weren't great or they would have said things are great. Sometimes, if I got a bad vibe off someone I woud ask to speak to another teacher, often I would still get the runaround on certain questions. Trust your instincts, if something feels fishy, ditch it. But the guys at eslprime always said no problem if I didn't feel right about something and just kept looking for me. Other recruiting companies I tried would simply quit talking to me after a few schools. One recruiter got really angry with me for not taking a job she had offered me, and then I never heard from her again. Another recruiter insisted that I send him my oringinal degree before he would start looking for me, obviously if he had my original I wouldn't be able to get a job through anyone else. I found that fishy people showed their true colours quite quickly. Get the foreign teacher's email address too, that way you can communicate with them knowing there are no prying ears around. Anyways, I am having a blast over here, good luck!
TINKERBELL

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Kyle in that you should deal directly with schools. It seems to be quite common now for schools to ask their current foreigner teachers to help find new ones. This is the best way for you to get a job. Although I'm quite sure not all recruiters are bad news, it's not a risk worth taking. I had endless problems with my school and the recruiters who brought me here did nothing to help me. Fortunately I had friends who recommended various schools to me and I'm now happy in another school. At the time though, I was so miserable that I very nearly jumped on the next plane home!
Good Luck! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: