Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International phonecalls
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwioutofthenest

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: International phonecalls Reply with quote

Hi all
there dosn't seem to be much info here on how to make international phonecalls, i know you can buy phonecards but i'd like more info on the internet based calls where you deposit money vis credit card.....Im adding to an info web bout korea. I am specifically looking for cheap calls to NZ but would appreciate any info to help others out. I dont want to talk via msn. Also what prefixes make international calls cheaper?
Cheers
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dialpad is popular

all make cheaper calls from landlines, but phone cards are still the cheapest way to make calls other than dialpad.
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemon turned me on to this site:

www.iconnecthere.com

I pay US$ .03/minute to the US, figure it'll save me 100,000 won/month minimum
kiwioutofthenest

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know about the internet based companies that are real cheap but the lines are unreliable, i was given the remainder of someones credit on one of these and it was fine.
JennyJJ

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: rates Reply with quote

How can I find out the rates for 007, 002, and 003?
I call Thailand a lot and some deals are rip offs and others are a good deal. Suggestions?
kiwioutofthenest

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thats what im trying to find out, its cool that people give the numbers to dial but without the rate info it is pretty much useless to me
L
Zark

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: this phone bidness thing Reply with quote

jeez, I can't get a straight answer outa anyone on this issue either! Tried calling the tourist infor people and they just wanted me to use 001!

hello!? anyone out there on this issue?
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

read above zark, people have offered a number of good solutions forget about what KNTO people say. With a home pc and a broadband connection dialpad or what I use are the best deals. I've made over 150 minutes of calls to the US for $4.50 incredible, those calls even with the cheapies like 008, 00365 etc would of cost me over 100,000 won
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally I arrange a time with my parents to be online and we voice & video chat via MSN. It's great.. they're happy because they get to see thier granddaughter.
Zark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyflyer wrote:
read above zark, people have offered a number of good solutions forget about what KNTO people say. With a home pc and a broadband connection dialpad or what I use are the best deals. I've made over 150 minutes of calls to the US for $4.50 incredible, those calls even with the cheapies like 008, 00365 etc would of cost me over 100,000 won

Can we reopen this thread?
I've tried the computer stuff (Icallthere) etc and it is just cr*p. My mother is an old bear with a soft voice and little patience for voice/sound lags. She's sitting in a hospital right now - and I want a good quality connection. Before I came I did a couple interviews with people on the computer call stuff and I remember how bad the quality was.

SO, does anyone have straight answers on IDD rates from the mulititude of providers. I want quality - not afraid to pay for it - but if I can get comparable quality for a discount price - hey, more honey for all.

man, I'm still hungry from hibernating . . .
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zark I've had that same problem with lags with land lines using 001 and 008. However I just called one of my friends using the computer and he said he could of sworn I was calling from the states it was that good. When I get a bad connection I just hang up and redial, usually fixes the problem.

Yeah my father hates the lag too but since he refuses to get a computer/email depsite me offering to pay for an email machine and connection I tell him I need to use this since its cheaper.

keep looking around you should find something you like.
mokpochica

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 00365 on my cell phone and find it to be very reasonable--especially since I don't tend to make very long calls (over 20 minutes). My last call was about 16 minutes and it cost 2,444 won. I think that the rate is about 160 won a minute with this service. It does seem to go up or down a little at times.

It's cheaper to use an international phone card with a cell phone, but I don't usually bother because I don't make very many calls.
harryh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the following websites:
www.noblecom.com
www.gdr.co.kr
Zark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mokpo and Harryh for the help. Just got the prepaid card - very easy to do and about HALF the price of the iconnecthere.com to where I want to call.

Thanks!

hope this "edit" thing works or I'll chew my paw off . . . Grrrrr
Clutch Cargo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out iscard.com
I get 120 minutes for $25US to Australia. I'm sure there are better deals but this is all done with Ccard on their site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: