Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marrying a Korean / Legal Issues / F-2 Visa
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GottaBeKD

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Marrying a Korean / Legal Issues / F-2 Visa Reply with quote

Greetings freinds,

I am writing today regarding the required legal process in being recognized as a married couple in Korea.

My fiancee and I are scheduled to be married in October, and we are now beginning to prepare the legal side of things.

Today in particular I am wondering about the legal process in being recognized as a married couple.

- Which government offices did you need to go to?
- What documents do I need (as a Canadian)?
- What costs/fees are there?
- What is the timeline for the entire process?

Likewise I have the same questions regarding the F-2 Visa.

- Which government offices did you need to go to?
- What documents do I need (as a Canadian)?
- What costs/fees are there?
- What is the timeline for the entire process?

Thanks in advance guys. I'm really not sure where to look for this info and I'd like to hear it from someone that has gone through the process.
Stunted Wookie

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: marriage Reply with quote

Hi;
After you are married you need to have both the Canadian embassy and the local Korean gov office reckonize the marriage.
Call the Canadian Embassy; you get a list of what you need....
Its not that hard, and its painless except for being annoying as you have to go back and forth from the Embassy and the gov office.

Its not expensive; and you want the F2-1 which you can get without leaving Korea. (change of status or something rather)

Call the Embassy ...sorry I can't remember the names of the documents...official sounding though Wink
GottaBeKD

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: What about wedding? Reply with quote

Just one more question,

Is it required to have a wedding before the government recognizes a wedding? Is it required to have a wedding before an F2-1 Visa can be issued?

What about non-religous couples, common law couples, or ones who want to be married without a wedding?
Stunted Wookie

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: f2-1 Reply with quote

Well I think the F2-1 requires that you are married as reckonized by the embassy and the Korean gov check this link:

immigration in English -> http://www.moj.go.kr/mojeng/index.php

We I was married here in a traditional style wedding and that was reckonized....
I really don't know much more than that...we were married, then I went for the F2-1...and our son got an F2 later on.
Samsung

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's not quite specific to your case, but the British Embassy website gives you the whole drill for weddings in Korea - it contains a lot of information about what foreigners have to do and what the Korean party has to do:
http://www.britishembassy.or.kr/english/overview/consular/marriage.htm

Worth checking your embassy's website to see if they provide the same kind of info.
Trinny

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think either government of Korea or Canada recognizes common law relationship between their citizens and non-citizens.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What about wedding? Reply with quote

GottaBeKD wrote:
Just one more question,

Is it required to have a wedding before the government recognizes a wedding? Is it required to have a wedding before an F2-1 Visa can be issued?

What about non-religous couples, common law couples, or ones who want to be married without a wedding?

It's the papers you submit/receive at the embassy and the Gu office that count- you don't have to have a 'wedding' to get married.
My wife and I jumped through all the hoops one day [wasn't too difficult since the embassy and our Gu office were about 40 min from each other] and got everything done by the afternoon. At the final trip to the embassy [you have to get documents there, take them to the Gu office, then take them back to the embassy], the woman who was processing our documents said at the end "Congratulations, you're now legally married." It kind of shocked us- we hadn't thought about it that way, and the ceremony wasn't for another 2 weeks...
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you follow the instructions exactly. I screwed up and I had to make 2 additional trips back and forth. When my daughter was born I paid closer attention to details and everything went incredibly smoothly.

KK
mack the knife

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!

diddo what kimcheeking said...read the forms carefully!!
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will move to the FAQ section. Does anyone have anything to add?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Juggertha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.korea.gc.ca/consularservice/marryinginkorea.e.html

Quote:
Introduction
The following information is intended as a guide for you as a Canadian citizen intending to marry a Korean citizen in Korea. It is based on our understanding of current Korean laws and procedures related to such marriages and is therefore not definitive and may be subject to change without notice. Should you require a more thorough opinion of Korean marriage laws and procedures involving non-nationals you should seek the services of a local lawyer. For your marriage to be legally recognized in Korea and hence, legally recognized in Canada, you and your fiance(e) must be free to marry, must report and register your marriage to the appropriate civil authorities.

Step 1. AT THE EMBASSY
In order to prove that you are free to marry, an "Affidavit of Eligibility of Marriage" must be completed in three copies (copies attached) and must be attested before a consular representative at the Embassy. You will need your Canadian passport and/or your Canadian birth certificate or Canadian citizenship certificate. A divorce or death certificate is required, if applicable (for Koreans, a copy of Family Census Register showing divorce or death). One copy of the affidavit is retained at the Embassy and two copies are returned to you. There is a fee of CDN$ 100.00 (or KRW90,000) for this service.

Your fiance(e) must obtain two copies of his or her Family Census Register from their respective district office and include these documents at the time the affidavit is submitted for attestation, along with your fiance(e)'s identity card. All documents will be returned to you once the affidavit has been attested. The Canadian Embassy will keep one copy of all documents.

To report and register your marriage you must first complete three copies of the "Report and Certificate of Marriage" form (copies attached) at the same time your affidavit is completed. The forms look similar but serve very different purposes as we describe in the following steps.

Step 2. AT THE MUNICIPAL WARD OFFICE
You and your fiance(e) must then proceed to the appropriate Ku District office of his or her permanent address (in case that his or her permanent address is outside of Seoul, he or she should go to the Ku Office of his or her present address), to report and document your intentions to marry with the local civil authorities.

The Ku office will require you to show your passport, your fiance(e)'s identity card, and to submit two copies of the affidavit completed and attested at the Embassy and two copies of your Korean fiance(e)'s Family Census Register, and three copies of "Report and Certificate of Marriage" forms. You must also bring with you two witnesses's seals and identity cards in order to complete the appropriate Ku District office own forms. (Note: witness is to be anyone over 20 years old and family members are acceptable.)

They will then return to you one copy of their own marriage report form duly certified, one copy of affidavit, two copies of "Report" forms which you will be required to present to the Canadian Embassy.

Step 3. AT THE EMBASSY
You must then return to the Embassy to have the Ku-Officer's signature attested by a consular representative of the Embassy on the two remaining copies of the "Report and Certificate of Marriage". The forms will then be returned to you.

Step 4. CANADIAN IMMIGRATION AND CITIZENSHIP REGULATIONS
Marriage to a Canadian citizen does not automatically confer permanent resident or citizenship status on the Korean spouse. To obtain permanent resident status, the Canadian partner must complete an undertaking to sponsor his/her spouse at a Canadian Immigration Centre in Canada. The Korean national must then meet all civil and medical requirements before a visa can be issued. Processing times vary according to individual circumstances, and the applicant is normally required to remain in Korea until such time as the Visa can be issued.

Revised : November 10, 2003

that should be what your looking for on the Canadain end of things
syclick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: What about wedding? Reply with quote

GottaBeKD wrote:
Just one more question,

Your wedding will not be considered legally binding until you get the paperwork done. So it is impossible to get an F-2 visa without it.

You don't have to have a formal wedding and all before you get that paperwork done, but you run a very high risk of infuriating your inlaws if you do. Having a formal wedding is VERY important to most Korean parents.
PatrickSiheung

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I did all of the things quoted by Juggertha about 2 months ago.

The whole process took a few weeks and then getting the actual F2 only took one afternoon at Immigration. Actually took Immigration 1 week but after the week I just picked it up, no problems.

It's a bit of a pain to travel back and forth. Make sure you have two witnesses with their ID cards and their name stamps to go to the Gu Office with you. Witnesses have to be present, you can't just bring their Stamps and IDs. At least, we couldn't.

Congratulations! And be prepared, that final trip to the Canadian Embassy will make you officially married. Took us by surprise too Very Happy
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>. I'm still not clear on this. What if we want to get married in Canada ??? Assuming she has all the proper paperwork can't we just come back to Korea & pop into the embassy ???

Seems all too confusing. We've already been living together for two years for cryin' out loud Rolling Eyes
Pak Yu Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need to do (from my experience) is to get married in whatever country you are getting married in (Canada or Korea). Then get a legal marriage certificate. you then would probably have to take that to the Canadian embasy and get some piece of paper...saying
1) Yes this is a legal wedding
2) Yes this is a real certificate.
3) the Above named Canadian is not married....before this weding.

Very important. Make sure the Korean brings somehting that says he's not been married in Korea. I had to do all this...but in reverse.

You should get married in Korea.....less hassle. Parents get a free vacation. Soju is much cheaper than beer back home......the list is endless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: