Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wynthrop - Overwhelmed by info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wynthrop

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Wynthrop - Overwhelmed by info Reply with quote

Ciao to all potential helpmates out there. I'm currently in Italy looking for work in Korea, and have been blasting off cvs and photos and refs by email and had no replies as yet. Is it the fact that I can only start in June or that I only want to teach at universities or adults that is the problem? Or am I joining a long list of like-minded people? And there seem to be so many positions available! Is this good for us? Excuse my ignorance, but this is my first effort to find work out there. I should think that someone with 7 years experience should not find it too difficult. Or am I naive? Or impatient? Ideas on action please! I see I have a lot to learn.
Ahoy from Wynthrop
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has nothing to do with your post - but can I ask why you would want to leave Italy for Korea????? Could you not be in a more beautiful place?
waterbaby

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be that you only want to teach adults only or at a university. Most of the jobs in Korea are for teaching kids. If you want a job teaching adults only, then you'll most likely have to take on a split shift... early morning and then some evening work. I think the universities will be advertising around about now or in June for the Fall semester... but this doesn't start until September.

Some potential employers and recruiters might also be wary of you because you have experience! This means it's more difficult for them to bully you around...

If you're only willing to teach adults, then you will find it harder to come by a job. There just aren't that many adults only positions out there.

Hang in there. When I started applying for jobs in Feb, I didn't have much luck at first but then the emails and phone calls wouldn't stop, even after I'd accepted position.
Wynthrop

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Italy is wonderful but I can't live on air. Summer is a bummer for work here.

Ok so I hang on in here. Grazie, but is bullying so common? (You know what I mean!) I realize almost all the jobs are for kids, but I've paid my debt to society!
waterbaby

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wynthrop wrote:
Grazie, but is bullying so common? (You know what I mean!) I realize almost all the jobs are for kids, but I've paid my debt to society!

Weeeellll... what I mean by "bullying" is that a complete newbie doesn't feel in a position to negotiate anywhere near as much as person who has been doing the EFL thing for a few years. And particularly in Korea, where there are so many dodgy and greedy directors out to rip people off. A person who has been here for a while knows what to look out for, what is a good contract and when someone is trying to rip them off. A newbie who hasn't done any research is much more likely to sign a contract for 1.8mil, work sats and have 30 teaching hours (a 50 min class is 50 mins) than a person who has been here for a while or someone who has done their homework.

Once you start working at your job (school, hogwan, uni... whatever) and if you have no experience, then you're probably not likely to question why they insist on teaching certain books or material or prefer a particular teaching style. I've only been teaching EFL for about a 18 months and I've recently started my second contract in Korea. I work for a small, no-name hogwan (meaning non-franchise) and I have a lot of flexibility. I've recommended a few books that would be good to teach certain classes and the next day the director has the books ready for me on my desk! I guess I'm on of the lucky ones, eh?

Some teachers feel pressured or forced to teach horrible books in a ridiculously short period of time. If you have no experience, then you're not likely to make a fuss/complain or not even realise that the school's expectations of you are unrealistic. That's why some hogwans (and even some universities) prefer people with little or no experience.

I've only waffled on about the "experience" thing from the hogwan/school's perspective. I wonder what the parents of the littlies or what an adult or university student prefers...
Wynthrop

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers to everyone for their assistance. I forgot to mention that I am a young 44 - so maybe this counts against me for the 2 reasons of decrepitude and not accepting crap from idiot bosses or schools. (?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: