Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa for Teaching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piaz

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Visa for Teaching Reply with quote

Hi, just a few quick questions for my wife who has an offer in Korea to teach English.

How important is it to send the degree to get the Visa to Korea to teach? My wife has it but we need a replacement and it will just take some time to get a new one so thats why I ask.

Also, how stringent are they on issuing the Visa in regards to being a native speaker? My wife has 13 years of formal education in English until College so is this okay?

More Question to come Razz
Squaffy

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She won't get an E2 visa unless the degree has been notarised by your local Korean Embassy - or - get a tourist visa, turn up and have a nice holiday in Japan for 3 days whilst getting the correct working visa (with the original degree certificate, or, notarised copies). Sounds a muddle, but that's how it works - and I'm not really an expert on Korea......all I can honestly say is the experience doesn't count, the degree does.
.......I'll leave the rest up to other posters.

PM the moderators - lemon, kimcheeking etc for sound advice... they seem to know the score more than most.

Hope you get it sorted.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squaffy, thanks for the praise.... I liked your old avatar better.

piaz,

THe degree is absolutely necessary. Your wife, being from Pakistan may be a problem. Immigration recognizes only certain countries when giving VISA's, it's not the country of education that matters, its the nationality of your passport. My school had a Dutch teacher for two years - educated in the states...Ph.D and M.A... anyhow immigration wouldn't renew his visa anymore.

It's possible, but She must have the paper... no paper no visa.
piaz

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your help guys, well the school knows that her nationality is Pakistani but they never made any issue about it, but any way to do it with the degree coming in at a later date?

Last edited by piaz on Thu May 15, 2003 4:19 pm; edited 4 times in total
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The school excepting her nationality is not important... it's immigration.

You must have the paper before starting the immigration process, sorry.
piaz

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your help guys, well the degree will be available even if sometime later (and I understand now that it is an absolute must) but that is not her/my primary concern. The real issue is that if she waits for the degree to become available and still gets rejected by Korean immigration because of her nationality then we would have lost other offers in other countries (by waiting). I was hoping if someone knew of a way to find out if they (Korean immigration) only accept certain countries (only native speakers perhaps from English speaking countries or other such criteria) and reject all others regardless of academic qualifications and even if accepted by a Korean school.
Gord

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the other job offers. If she does not have a passport from a country that has English as a primary language, she will not get an E2 visa for teaching English.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord wrote:
Take the other job offers. If she does not have a passport from a country that has English as a primary language, she will not get an E2 visa for teaching English.

I would take Gord's advice but his facts are not exactly accurate. Like I said we had a Dutch man with a Dutch passport teaching English at our school until immigration decided to follow the letter of the law.

Immigration is very fickle.
mulletlvr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Degree? Reply with quote

I am having problems getting my visa and I found out it was because the notarised copy of my degree weren't notarized by the korean consulate down here, so my visa was denied. So, today I sent out my original degree because I was told I didn't have to get that notarised by the consulate - I just sent it out with my transcripts. Is this ok? Does anyone know if I should've brought it to the Korean Consul first or since it is my original degree it should be fine this time around?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Degree? Reply with quote

mulletlvr wrote:
I am having problems getting my visa and I found out it was because the notarised copy of my degree weren't notarized by the korean consulate down here, so my visa was denied. So, today I sent out my original degree because I was told I didn't have to get that notarised by the consulate - I just sent it out with my transcripts. Is this ok? Does anyone know if I should've brought it to the Korean Consul first or since it is my original degree it should be fine this time around?

If you sent your originals, it is OK. The problem arrises later when (if your boss is dodgy) you don't get it back.

Be sure to apply to your Uni now for a replacement copy so then it is not a worry.
Pak Yu Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your original back from your boss as soon as you arrive.
Tell him you need to scan it or something because you want to continue your education via the internet.

Then hide it and never give it to anyone...again...ever.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piaz wrote:
Thank you for all your help guys, well the school knows that her nationality is Pakistani but they never made any issue about it, but any way to do it with the degree coming in at a later date?

For immigration to issue an E2 she must be a passport holder of one of the "approved" 7 countries AND have a degree issued by an accredited university in one of those same 7 countries.

My educated guess is that she will be denied.

side note:
The 7 accepted countries are:
The UK, USA, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa.
Louise

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: F4 visa Reply with quote

Sorry, I know it's a bit off the subject, but I was wondering whether an F4 visa entitled you to work - I can't get a straight answer out of the Korean Embassy in London... Other than the woman telling me basically I had no chance of a job because Korean people don't like Gyopos... Nice.

Thank you

Louise
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: F4 visa Reply with quote

Louise wrote:
Sorry, I know it's a bit off the subject, but I was wondering whether an F4 visa entitled you to work - I can't get a straight answer out of the Korean Embassy in London... Other than the woman telling me basically I had no chance of a job because Korean people don't like Gyopos... Nice.

Thank you

Louise

If you can find and employer, you can work.

If you have a degree you can work as a teacher.
Teeq

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So guys what is the process for getting a visa. Correct me if Im wrong bu I would have thought it was this.... find an employer that is willing to take you on first of all, then apply for the visa by sending an original copy of your degree and transcript to the Korean immigration and if they accept and grant your visa then you can go to Korea and work?
Is this how it goes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: