Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The mind of the Hogwan owner (a little rant)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxxx_power

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: The mind of the Hogwan owner (a little rant) Reply with quote

Coming up on my three month mark here in Korea and it seems odd that the owner of my hogwan would be so abusive to the Korean staff and yell so much at the foreigners.

He drove one teacher to quit yesterday, everyone else has split before their contract is up. I feel that he thinks his employees are his personal property.

Today he went off on me for refusing to come in on Saturday (after telling me this today! and I already made plans). I refuse to be a slave.

So what should I do? I worked through the pension debacle while still keeping my cool but I feel like I'm going to lose it soon.

It seems I work for the Hogwan from hell (but they do pay on time). I have never seen such an irrational person in my life and never had to listen to so much yelling. Staff meetings are tense and almost always end in a boil over, mornings are full of tyrades and anger, and at the end of the day I feel so burnt out I wanna pull a midnight run. Now I just walk away after explaining my side and listening to his, I don't need to be screamed at.

So far I like Korea and don't want to risk losing my E-2 by running, but holy schnikes! I feel that one day some staff member is going to bust through the door with an assault rifle blazing if the school stays the way it is going.

End of rant.

Please share your horror stories of hogwan owners before I completely go ballistic in a class of kindergarteners or attack my boss.
Squaffy

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take your boss out for food / drink - you pay - tell him to never treat you like them. Worked well for me.
rapier

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to know there's always someone in a worse situation. i'm having problems getting paid at the moment, and gradually becoming more angry.. Basically hogwon owners are usually morons- go to go, more later.
Mojo

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to know somebody else also has a demon for a boss Twisted Evil Ours once threatened to kill himself when Immigration came by for a suprise visit and our visas weren't top notch. Now he wants us to work 12 hours!! Granted the pay gets a boost, but still I don't think it's worth it. Explaining that to him and keeping your job is a tricky situation.
justaskdan

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple.... Next time your boss yells at you (probably unjustified).... explain to him the meaning of the word respect, and quit. Quiting won't jeprodize your E-2. It will take you a week to get a better job. Life in the ROK is suppose to be low stress and believe me it can be. I have been here for 7 months and my boss has not yelled at me ONCE. In fact he goes on and on about how great his foreighn teachers are, all two of us. And I have 20 teaching hours a week, which allows me lots of time for private lessons at 40000 an hour.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boss is a little weird... the more time I spend with her the more convinced I am about it. She talks to herself in korean, which would be ok except she then answers her own questions.

But she seems nice my hours have been pushed up, and even though I'm not over the 120 hours per month my boss has given me more money with out me asking. Also keeps on giving me food.

I do have some concerns about severance pay as there was a problem with it just after two teachers recently finished the contracts...

CLG
Tiberious aka Sparkles

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to Job Discussion Forum by Tiberious.

Sparkles*_* (sending in my Moderator Membership application soon)

[Yeah, you're right. Missed that. Now moved. Thanks. I've gotta turn the Eminem down. -Lemon]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: