Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you teach privates?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you currently teach privates?
Yes
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
No
20%
 20%  [ 9 ]
yes, been here for more than 2 years
22%
 22%  [ 10 ]
no, been here for more than 2 years
28%
 28%  [ 13 ]
yes, been here for less than 2 years
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
no, been here for less than 2 years
17%
 17%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 45

The Lemon

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Do you teach privates? Reply with quote

Another poll asked about how much one would be willing to accept for private lessons. What the poll was lacking was an option for those teachers who don't or won't teach privates at all. And as of now, that thread has had 160 views, and 13 votes. So, making allowances for some repeated views by the same people, it's possible that the vote is indicating not so many people do privates.

The pro and anti-private camps have raged against each other for years. The antis talk about wanting to protect their free time, and avoid legal hassles. The pros talk about the lucrative money they make. Both sides claim that the majority of foreign teachers are in their camps.

Let's find out.

[edited to add poll options 7:58pm]

Last edited by The Lemon on Fri May 16, 2003 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps we can change the poll options so that we have a

yes, been here for more than 2 years
yes, been here for less than 2 years
no, been here for more than 2 years
no, been here for less than 2 years

in order to reflect what was said in the other active thread today. I will vote after lemon decides whether to change or not.
dutchman

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read the other thread and now you've started another. Why are you two so sensitive about the subject? You don't do them. That's great. Move on. Every time the subject comes up Lemon feels the need to defend his masculinity (really don't understand that one) and King feels the need to extol his virtuosity. Why can't you just let the subject die? If someone else had started the thread I have no doubt one of you would have locked it and responded with something like "the search function is your friend".
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually the other thread was not started by either of us, and I almost locked it, but the poll was original, so I decided to leave it there.

We are usually firm in the rules but everything is not black and white. Anyhow questioning moderator actions in public is not encouraged... the locking thing was uncalled for.

virtuosity, manliness, sure that's fine - I don't like it, but you can say that. Just don't question our locking things in public. use the pm function.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do privates, it really helps out with my petrol money and cummuting to and from work, I NEVER ride the buses or subway and the pertol and car taxes do take a toll , so doing one or two privates a week really solves that problem for me and my family...

cheers..

P.S I turn down alot too, I am not greedy, I really love my free time also..
just take enough to cover expenses for gas and car which could be considered a luxury here..
you wont ever catch me on a subway AGAIN!!
The Lemon

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If someone else had started the thread I have no doubt one of you would have locked it and responded with something like "the search function is your friend".

You know, I probably would have, had the question ever been asked before. But it never has, as I said in the OP. I searched before posting. If you find an old poll that asks the same question, please PM me the link and I'll gladly lock or delete this.

Quote:
Every time the subject comes up Lemon feels the need to defend his masculinity (really don't understand that one)

Huh? Everything OK there Dutchman?
It's just a question. If you don't like the question, you don't have to answer it...
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never have and never been tempted to do it. I value my time and my status here over any monetary gain
dutchman

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lemon wrote:
Quote:
If someone else had started the thread I have no doubt one of you would have locked it and responded with something like "the search function is your friend".

You know, I probably would have, had the question ever been asked before. But it never has, as I said in the OP. I searched before posting. If you find an old poll that asks the same question, please PM me the link and I'll gladly lock or delete this.

Quote:
Every time the subject comes up Lemon feels the need to defend his masculinity (really don't understand that one)

Huh? Everything OK there Dutchman?
It's just a question. If you don't like the question, you don't have to answer it...

Laughing And the question in the other poll was "How much do you charge for privates?"

You don't do them so why bother responding at all? Why divert the topic to "I don't do privates because blah blah blah"?
The Lemon

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no "0" option, thus this poll. Nor is there any rule that says people who don't do privates can't say so in that post. People who do them, like itaewonguy, are welcome to say so here.

What's the big deal? Relax. You're making me think you didn't want this question asked. Just a question.
katydid

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to actively seek out teach private lessons, but can't see myself doing that anymore, because I really enjoy being able to do nothing during my free time. Last year, I worked at a hagwan and was all about the private lessons. I made about 1 million won extra per month for a three month period, but my weekends were shot to hell.
Also, I remember being asked to teach a couple of boys...yes during the weekend, and they were 5 or 6 in Western age. Now, can anyone guess how well that worked out?
I really enjoy having my afternoons and weekends free to futz around and do what ever. I also am truly against the idea of teaching English to kids who would be too young to even speak Korean properly.
I'd be open to language exchanges right now...but even then, what I really would prefer is paying someone to be my Korean teacher and not have to worry about preparing any outside lessons....especially since I doubt Immigration would say "Oh it was only a language exchange? Well, that's OK!" should someone get suspicious.
The Bobster

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, I sort of liken the question of privates to the issues of abortion and marijuana back in the States, both of which I think ought to be legal and available. My answer to people who feel differently in each case is the same : "If you don't like abortions (or marijuana) then don't have them, but why spend a lot of energy convincing people who fell differently about it? These are not things that have a great affect on people other than those who are doing it, so why the debate and why the restrictions?"

Those in favor of teaching privately would be in for a letdown, though, if the regs changed and you could suddenly do it with no risk of penalties - it IS the risk of penalties that allow you to command such high hourly rates.

There are other good reasons to do privates besides the money, though, and I think this is something that gets left out of the debate ... I don't do them myself but for a while I did and I charged less than most people because I enjoyed the work of it much more than my daytime job.
dutchman

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bobster wrote:

Those in favor of teaching privately would be in for a letdown, though, if the regs changed and you could suddenly do it with no risk of penalties - it IS the risk of penalties that allow you to command such high hourly rates.

I'm not so sure about that Bobster. My wife teaches privates completely legally and gets 40-50k an hour.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bobster wrote:

I am with Dutchman here. Privates are illegal because the gov't doesn't get a take. Supply and demand... supply is low demand is high. prices probably wouldn't go down.
dutchman

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimcheeking wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

I am with Dutchman here. Privates are illegal because the gov't doesn't get a take. Supply and demand... supply is low demand is high. prices probably wouldn't go down.

Privates are illegal because hagwon owners have a very powerful lobbying voice. Immigration could easily allow foreigners with f-2 visas to teach privates just like Koreans and Kyopos are allowed to do. The Ministry of Education doesn't have a problem with it. It's Immigration using it's broad discretionary powers that prevent it. And who do you think has purchased the use of these discretionary powers? One guess.
The Bobster

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Actually, I think Kimcheeking does agree with me but he doesn't know it yet, and for just the reasons he cited: supply and demand.

If there were no legalities to worry about, more teachers would be open to doing this, and Korea would attract even more teachers wanting to come here only to do privates while working under an F-2 umbrella, even more than is true right now, and in addition, a lot of the teachers already here would consider doing it as well ... perhaps even a few who've already posted on this thread, since a big reason being cited is that we need to respect the laws of the country that harbors us.

Note the poll results, by the way, which right now show 70% of respondents giving a negative reply of one form or another - oh, I know this ain't the least bit scientific (a lot of people who might vote affirmative are likely out DOING lessons on a Friday evening, then drinking hard to relax after) but if even half of those who presently don't do it decide they will, then that makes a big jump in the supply.

Add to that, under a legal environment, there would almost certainly arise a class of agents who offer to introduce Koreans to teachers who will teach them, because a third-party introduction is the preferred method for Koreans to meet new people - such agents exist now, but you're a fool if you trust them very much, because if they are caught they will roll over on you in a Las Vegas minute. Such people would take a cut of the fees ... AND the govt would as well, because no way would they allow it to be legal wigthout also making sure it was taxable income.

All these things working together will bring down the rewards of private teaching if it were ever made legal.

That's my thinking, anyway.

Make no mistake about it. By teaching privately you are taking advantage of a situation of artificial scarcity which is created by the very laws which your behavior scorns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: