Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learning Korean

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sue_Canada

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:53 am    Post subject: Learning Korean Reply with quote

Hello. I am going to Korea in September, and it is very important to me that I learn Korean. Have any of you learned Korean? Was it difficult? What are the obstacles against learning Korean in Korea?

If I do learn the basics, will people actually speak to me in Korean, or will they want to practice their English with me?

I would like to do language exchanges with Korean people, so that I can practice what I learn. Is there a way to do this safely without people thinking that I am teaching privately for money?

Thanks for your help.
Any experiences with learning the Korean language would be interesting for me to hear.
Sue
bignate

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sue,

I lived in Korea for about Two and a half years, and the best advice I can give you in regards to learning Korean is to make Korean friends. I think you will be able to find someone who will be able to do a language exchange. It is very difficult to learn Korean properly from a person who does not speak it as their native tongue.

The next thing I suggest, is to learn how to read. Han-gul is the Korean alphabet and it is pretty simple to learn. There are 14 main consonants, and 10 main vowels. (there are instances when the consonants are doubled up to make different sounds, and there are vowel combinations that add to the number of sounds as well) But these are the basic ones.

http://members.aol.com/keithenev/Language/Korean.gif[img]

Hopefully when you come you will get to work with some good native speakers like I did when I first arrived. They really helped me get the basics in regards to counting and money as well as basic phrases.

But you will undoubtedly run into those foreigners who are more interested in cricizing your Korean and are fond of saying things like "Well, my KOREAN girlfreind said blah, blah, blah." or "Actually, the word you are using is wrong, blah, blah, blah" Take this for what it's worth, if you can learn from it fine, if not just know some people will always like to hear themselves talk (there are a lot of these types on this board).

I found that while it is easy to learn the alphabet, then nouns, and then some verbal phrases, it gets difficult after that. I felt a little discouraged, and you will go through slumps where you feel that you learn very little, but keep up with it, and keep using it. Don't worry you will do well. Also, realize that while you can get by in Korea without learning to speak or read Korean, you will not enjoy it as much and you will not be able to do as many things (especially if you live oustside of Seoul).

Anyways, good luck and enjoy. Also, eventhough there is a lot of negative aspects about Korea on this board, most of it is just a lot of venting. Korea is a very exciting place, with a lot of fun things to do.

Nate Very Happy [/img]
tomato

Location: I get so little foreign language experience, I must be in Koreatown, Los Angeles.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Learning Korean Reply with quote

Hello, Sue Canada!

Sue_Canada wrote:

If I do learn the basics, will people actually speak to me in Korean, or will they want to practice their English with me?

This is a problem. If you haven't already decided on a job, look for a job in the smallest town you can find. The smaller the town, the easier it is to dodge people speaking English to you.

My favorite Korean activities are:
Wink teaching a weekly recorder class at a nearby orphanage
Wink giving weekly guitar lessons to an elementary school child
Wink translating Korean children's books and reading them to my English class
Wink learning Korean songs and playing them on the kayageum (a Korean zither)

Incidentally, I hope you read Big Nate's message very carefully.
Everything he says is true.
rapier

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I represent a rogue language learner in that I've got by for over a year without learning much of the language. I wish i knew more, but certain things put me off. Its actually like learning 3 languages at once, because there are 3 different ways of saying everything depending on the age of the person you're speaking to. Secondly I wasn't very attracted to the culture, which took away my motivation.
But if you tackle it so positively and head on as you seem to be doing, you'll probably have a better time here than most.
Sue_Canada

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys!
Thanks a lot for the advice.

I hadn't thought about the benefits of living in a small town. That is such a good idea. Certain things about life there will be more boring than in Seoul, but the language-learning environment will be much better. That makes a lot of sense.

I guess when we go abroad to teach English, we must make certain things a priority. Is it a priority to earn lots of money or to learn Korean? Is it a priority to have lots of fun partying or to learn Korean?

Tomato, that was really interesting what you wrote about the recorder lessons and playing the zither. I guess the more I do with Koreans outside the English-teaching environment, the more I will be able to practice my Korean. Is the zither like a guitar? Can you sing along with it? I was thinking of bringing my guitar to Korea, but maybe, I could just take zither lessons...

Thanks a lot for all your ideas!
Sue
FierceInvalid

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I hadn't thought about the benefits of living in a small town. That is such a good idea. Certain things about life there will be more boring than in Seoul, but the language-learning environment will be much better.

This is true to some extent, but be careful. Somewhere along the line, you're going to need some sort of proper grammar instruction (I'm assuming you're an outright beginner) and I'm of the opinion that this is much better accomplished by actually taking a class. A class may not be available in a smaller town. I studied by myself from books for quite a while, and I learned a fair amount, but after only a couple of months in a proper class I've improved by noticeable leaps and bounds.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: beware the small town Reply with quote

Sue_Canada wrote:

I hadn't thought about the benefits of living in a small town. That is such a good idea. Certain things about life there will be more boring than in Seoul, but the language-learning environment will be much better. That makes a lot of sense.

Think twice about the benefits of a small town. Everybody has a different learning style and some people can pick up language by osmosis. In my case, however, living in a small town for my first year in Korea was not at all useful -- I could barely count to 20.

After coming to Seoul I began studying at Yonsei's language program, which got me past the basics despite the fact that for my learning style Yonsei is terrible. I'm now studying at Sogang and can feel improvement on a daily basis.

So, if you want to learn Korean you'd better consider your own learning style. Basically, if you can learn by being immersed without formal sources go for a small town. If you learn by any other approach go to Seoul where there are a variety of different styles used at the language programs at the various universities from among which you can pick and choose.
tomato

Location: I get so little foreign language experience, I must be in Koreatown, Los Angeles.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again, Sue Canada!

The kayageum has 12 strings and is capable of playing songs which use only G, A, B, D, and E. I know, that doesn't sound like much, but you can find lots of songs from any culture which use just those notes. I get a few hours of practice each week by concurrently singing Korean songs and playing the melody.

It can't take the place of the guitar, though. The only chords you can get out of those notes are G major and E minor.

However, unless you are particularly attached to your own guitar, don't bring it. Guitars are easy to find--easier, in fact, than kayageums.

I guess some people feel more comfortable studying at home and some people feel more comfortable attending classes. The Beaver is an individual and I'm an individual.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: