Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A university with weird hours...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skippy

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: A university with weird hours... Reply with quote

This is posted by Skippy's Girl Friend. Not by Skippy himself

I got a university job here in Korea in Daegu. For 25 hours a week they are managing to really restrict my life. The job and the pay are good but there are a few issues.

1) I have classes at 7.50 (one hour), 1.00 (one hour) and from 6-9. I like to hang out downtown but the trip is an hour, so I can't during the week.

2) This schedule makes meal times bad. I really enjoyed the food in Korea last year (even the korean) but the cafeteria food sux! It's free but the class times make it difficult (but not impossible) to eat elsewhere. I can only go out for dinner on the weekend. If I have rice porridge for breakfast again (it's been more then a week in a row) arggh!.

So breakfast is at 7, dinner is at five.

3) Classes finish at 9, but I am staying in the dorm here and this place has an 11 o clock curfew. the guard leaves at 11.30 and they put a gate down in front of the door and lock it. There are also security bars on my back deck. It is also a fire trap. I get a yogwan every weekend. I am starting to realise though it is adding up. I won't want to stay here on the holiday going down every night at 11. (I do get ok Holidays by the way).

Has anyone had experience with changing places six months through?

The pay is hard to give up, but I realised what I really liked about Korea was the relaxed lifestyle, not the money as much (though it was a plus).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

If it weren't for the curfew I wouldn't mind staying. Students are OK (although you can't get away from them).

How can I tell them I am not one of their suffering students and have them listen?
richinkorea

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An apartment off campus ?
The Lemon

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Rich - if they're not willing to make "accomodations" for you, you should find an apartment off-campus, or put up with the next six months.

The issue here isn't just the hours, though it's hard to believe that they can't string together something more convenient for their staff. The issue is the curfew and the locked door, which they've imposed on the students but is affecting their staff (you).

This battle was fought and won at my university over the last two years. It certainly had been a big issue - at least one teacher moved off- campus, at his own expense, not wanting to deal with their curfews and paternal attitude. Things have improved though. Teachers who live in the dorm are given keys to the front door, and I've noticed they don't even lock it late at night any more, so it's no longer an issue.

See if you can get them to bend for you. It's in situations like these that you might learn that your wishes are not taken so seriously by the administration and management of the building. It's all about how much they respect you.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For one, I'd complain to the fire department. It's a fire trap from what you are saying. You want to die?
Secondly, no one is forcing you to remain. When you signed the contract, I'm sure you didn't know all about the housing. Now you do. You can be long on rhetoric and short on specifics or make a change. No, I'm not getting on your case, so don't misunderstand. But to stand by and do nothing won't help matters. Tell the school, document it in WRITING with photos and then move out. Is the good pay worth your life? Have the school pay for new housing until.... the situation is corrected. You ask the school folks if THEY want to live in a fire trap?!?!
weatherman

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hours aren't that weird, 75% of universities are just as strange. I start at 7:50 on Mondays and end at 9:00 in the evening, but teach only 2 and one half hours in total time. Most of the other teachers at my school have strange schedules too. What is weird is the control they want over you, the policing of your life. I got out of my dormitory, for I had a Korean prof living next me, calling the whole chain of administration because I had my girlfriend over, who they thought was a student, but isn't. Boy, did I ever get dragged over the carpet for that. Also called if he heard any noise at night that bothered him. Basically this prof wanted me to be a monk, and I am not one. I moved off, for the school seemed to understand my situation but couldn't do anything about for the Korean prof had race, rank and age working for him.
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we also have the same dorm problem with doors getting locked at midnight. There is a phone by the door thats supposed to ring the security guard but we all worry about in a fire being unable to reach somebody. Also get the same bs about getting keys etc. Funny thing is these students all have boyfriends who are here all the time. Talk about hypocracy.

Some days I swear Korea is afflicted by either the Fernando syndrome (my daarrlllinng you wook maaarvelous and you know my daarrllling in da hideaway we have saying wits better to wook good than to feel good Laughing ) or the Andre Aggassi syndrome (image is everything). everything is about looks including security and its all about 2 mm deep
weatherman

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyflyer wrote:
Funny thing is these students all have boyfriends who are here all the time. Talk about hypocracy.

I couldn't agree more with you hear. The students at over at my schools dormitory mix and mate quite often I am under the impression. But once they are under the cover of the building, they are out of sight in societies eyes so it is OK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: