Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What books should I read?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merrilee

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: What books should I read? Reply with quote

What books should I read before coming to SoKo to teach? Are there any books journaling a teacher's experience? (Not looking for some dry history book.) Thanks.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for Korean history I would recommend The Two Koreas it's a very engaging read. I haven't read it yet but I've heard that Korea's Place in the Sun by Bruce Cummings is an excellent book.

If you want recommendations on books on pegegogy let me know... I have around 10-15 books that I would recommend, most are easy to read. Maybe more I need to check my resource library.. I also have another 20 or so books with activities and ideas for the teacher.
maxxx_power

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend the Rum Diaries by Hunter S. Thompson. It sums up my experience here thus far. Extremely intoxicated living, interrupted with bouts of working, all the while surrounded by people speaking in a language I do not understand.

It's good for a laugh if anything.
gypsyfish

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How To Teach English or The Practice of English Language Teaching by Jeremy Harmer.

Teaching By Principals by H. Douglas Brown.

Agree with the Cummings book and The Koreans by Michael Breen.

You can pick up grammar books and other resource books here, but, especially if you haven't taught before, get the Brown or Harmer books. Wink
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most useful book you can read before you arrive? [/i]Beginning Korean by Samuel E. Martin and Young Sook C. Lee., or any other good Korean language textbook for beginners. Having a basic grasp of Korean never hurt anyone here, so why not get started before you even get on the plane?

I'd definitely recommend bringing
Lonely Planet Korea and Lonely Planet Seoul(if you'll be anywhere near Seoul) with you.

If you want to try to prepare yourself for some of the cultural differences, I'd suggest [i]Ugly Koreans, Ugly Americans
and Korea Unmasked. Unmasked also gives some interesting historical background, but unlike the dry history textbooks you don't want to read it's presented in an easy to read comic book format! Razz

Best of luck to you.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son Deureo! wrote:
I'd definitely recommend bringing [/i]Lonely Planet Korea and Lonely Planet Seoul[i](if you'll be anywhere near Seoul) with you.

Most definitely- the author relied on the guidance and wisdom of impeccable and sagacious sources!
bignate

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsung

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am eagerly awaiting the new edition of Lonely Planet - surely it can't be anything like the present one, which bears little or no relation to current life in Korea.
So many things are either distorted, underplayed, or just plain excluded.

For example, prior to coming here I had checked out the LP for information about internet use in Korea, and the LP suggested that there were only 3 or 4 places in Seoul that you could go for public internet access. What it failed to mention was that there are the ubiquitous PC Bangs on every street corner (sometimes 2 to the corner!)

Before anyone asks the obvious question, yes I have emailed LP with some hints/suggestions for changes or more information for the book - it must be due soon I'm guessing.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsung wrote:
I am eagerly awaiting the new edition of Lonely Planet - surely it can't be anything like the present one, which bears little or no relation to current life in Korea.
So many things are either distorted, underplayed, or just plain excluded.

You can dis LP all you want, but pick up any other guidebook on Korea and you'll quickly realize that it's pretty decent. My Fodor's guide was so bad I threw it into a trashcan out of frustration while on holiday in Pusan.

Like every other guidebook, LP gets out of date very quickly. Couple that with the rate of change in Asia, particularly Korea...
Publishing houses can't afford to come out with new editions of guidebooks every year, and Korea isn't very high on anyone's list of 'must see' tourist destinations so there's not much incentive for print houses to keep their Korean editions as up to date as you'd like them to be.

PC bangs came from nowhere to everywhere in the space of a year and half- it was really amazing how fast they took off. Video arcades died with the same speed. Ditto with handphones vs. beepers in 96/97. I've heard from old-timers that the rate of car ownership was similarly spectacular during the 80s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: