Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

summer & winter camps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lost Seoul

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: summer & winter camps Reply with quote

Here are some previous posts about summer and winter camps:

I would specifically like to draw your attention to the post from "hippie" (see below)

Quote:
Does anybody know of an English camp teacher who has worked on a tourist visa who didn't get deported when the immigration guys busted the camp?

=======================================
http://www.koreanesl.com/esl.htm
Name
Belinda Diers
E-Mail Address
belindagail#hotmail.com
Title: Abuse of contract by ELITE CAMP winter school...
As a South African who was recruited to work as an ESL teacher for (S. Korean) ELITE CAMP winter school, I feel that the following information needs to be emailed to relevant sources.
3 South Africans had bought expensive airoplane tickets to Korea for this winter camp. Our visas did eventually not come through - because of Elite Camp incompetence - and we were promised to be recompensated for the money involved (about $800 per person).
Jane/Michelle from the camp promised that we would be reimbursed, but this has not happened. Jane disappeared, Elite Camp fax numbers did not work and we never heard from them again.
Recently I have discovered that allegedly a Mrs Kim of Elite Camp is responsible for possibly trying to cover up this blatant abuse of contracts - not only with us but other foreign teachers. Another discovery is that members of the Elite Staff including Jane tried to protest that we were not paid out - and has left her job there in protest to Mrs Kim's alleged cover up.
I feel that this information must be shared with 'interested parties'. It is known that Mrs Kim (and her helper, Indie) pleads not to be able to read or talk English when confronted with the kind of issues I am raising.
If anyone has any further information about this instance - as well as others that are occurring in Korea, please email me. I would be most interested to hear from Mrs Kim.
My next email will be to various S Korean newspapers and international agencies, Tefl/ESL sites that are being used by Elite, and the South African S Korean embassy.
Belinda
=========================

http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=135183
Re: MyungJi Summer English Camp
Posted By: Sal
Date: Friday, 12 July 2002, at 9:44 a.m.
In Response To: Re: MyungJi Summer English Camp (meatball)
Actually, they ripped me off. I worked the whole camp last year and they never paid me. I wouldn't do it.

http://www.eslcafe.com/korea/index.cgi?read=132710139365
CAMP
Posted By: hippie
Date: Wednesday, 21 August 2002, at 6:58 p.m.
Does anybody know of an English camp teacher who has worked on a tourist visa who didn't get deported when the immigration guys busted the camp?
As far as I know, Everyone on a tourist visa gets deported. Teachers who work at camps with E2's get fined and blacklisted. Does anybody have an experience or know anyone with an experience different than this?
My advice: Before working at an English camp, make sure the boss has already given a "donation" to the immigration office.
http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?p=17602#17602
Tiger Beer

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:16 pm Post subject: Summer Camps

There are Summer Camps. Sometimes they can be quite competitive. I worked one last summer, but I found that 70% had taught numerous times in Korea before, and of the remaining ones they had been teaching in other countries. However, nothing wrong with applying. I was also teaching at one of the better ones, so its possible to get a not-so-good one with much lower pay and less interest among those already in Korea.. try to keep an eye out on the esl board around late April or May.. thats usually when I see them advertise.. summer camps are usually around July/August.. hope this helps..
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post made sticky by Kimcheeking at Lost Seouls request

Quote:
Dear Kimcheeking

From the looks of the board it appears it is the time of year for summer camps to start recruiting. I think it would be a good idea to set up a (temporary) sticky thread warning those thinking of working at these camps on a tourist visa that they face being fined and deported.

Regards

Lost Seoul

post any summer camp winter camp questions here.
mrroboto

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically I should just tell my friend to not come?
She's still in university, working towards her education degree and I'm begging her to come visit for the summer. what do you all think?
Lost Seoul

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She can go over to visit so long as she does not teach. However if she does teach in a camp on a tourist visa she will have to be prepared to take the risk of facing heavy fines and deportation if she is caught. Teaching in a summer camp on a tourist visa is a big risk as it is illegal and unlike with teaching privates camps are very public and are, therefore, easy targets for immigration. You have been warned.
Daami

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: Summer Camp visas Reply with quote

Just on the subject of summer camps...
I'm looking at summer camps for 2003 and I know there are some dodgy ones... I also know there are some legit ones.
What I don't know is what kind of visa is required. Working with a tourist visa is illegal, however an E-2 visa is only legit for a 12 month term (is this correct??) If so, how are the visas arranged for only 4 weeks?

Is there anybody who has successfully worked at a previous camp who can help me out? Also, how often is there any kind of airfare reimbursement? I have seen this advertised sometimes... is this uncommon?

Cheers
Daami.
Cedar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of dodgy people out there. I applied to work at a camp in Jinju at a National University. They accepted me (after a long application process including a 33 question essay! More effort than I put into applying to any of the three jobs I've worked the past 7 years in this country!) and sent out a mass email with the names of everyone and the age level they were assigned to. That was Friday. They indicated they'd be calling on Monday to get permission from our school's for us to work legally. I duly went to work on Monday morning and talked to my supervisor, who then met with the school president. On Tuesday the Korean camp organizer called, and was informed I was a great teacher and legal to work at their camp. On Wednesday the Western organizer sent me an email that they'd had a misunderstanding, thought I didn't want the job and had given my position to someone else. Huh? Makes me wonder if any of the people who do end up working there are going to have paychecks forgotten or some such... if they can't keep their heads together during the hiring process, who says they'll be organized during or at the end of the session?

Maybe they are totally legitimate, but it does make me wonder.
Emma Clare

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking up a Summer camp position for 4 weeks just to get some cash together when I first come to South Korea, and so that I can afford to do some exploring!

My question is this: Obviously, I cannot teach on a tourist visa. I plan on getting a short term E2 visa. Is it usual to be able to stipulate how long you require your teaching visa for?

Next: When my contract is up, does my visa automatically expire? Or do I have a couple of days grace, in order to leave the country and return on a tourist visa to start my hunt for a long term contract.

Then: Once I've sourced myself a 'proper' job, do I then have to leave SK again and return on a year long E2 visa?

Phew!! All this running around is gonna leave me in a right spin!
Diane

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Summer Camp at Myung-gi University Reply with quote

I just got a summer camp teaching position at Myung-gi University, run by SED company. Does anyone know anything about this company and the summer camp they run? Are they legit? Do they pay their workers? I will be working on an F-4 visa...does this guarantee that I will be paid at the end of my work period and not get screwed over?
I'm getting a little worried about taking a summer camp position because people have obviously had problems with them in the past. I would appreciate any advice people could offer.
Thanks!
applause

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Summer camp and university in Jinju Reply with quote

Hello all:

I am posting this reply to refute a couple of things written in this thread concerning the summer camp and university in Jinju. As a current employee of said university and co-worker of the director of the camp, I feel it necessary to clear a few things up.

Cedar - What happened in your case was unfortunate. I can assure you that the director feels bad for the confusion and inconvenience this caused you. As for the legitimacy of the camp, the university has never refused pay to any of it's summer employees. Organizationally all materials, curriculum, and events are prepared before the camp begins. Basically all the teacher has to do is show up, keep a positive attitude, and endure the long hours.

Grim Ja - I understand where you're coming from. You had a bad experience in one of your former places of employment and now seek to embellish events in order to make yourself feel better about being "mistreated." I hope that my post sheds a little light on the situation and help correct the claims that have been sitting in this forum for the past month.

First of all, anyone who applies to the camp can see the specifications of the position in the ad (now removed from eslcafe.com). Having worked at a camp yourself, you should know that it is not twelve hours a day, six days a week. Even if this were the case, it is stated clearly in the ad. As for the curfew, it's there as well. If the camp were really that horrible I doubt that twenty former camp teachers would reapply every camp.

Now to address the departure of instructors. You are correct: eight teachers did leave for [i]various reasons[/i]. You did fail to mention that six of the eight teachers were here for more than one contract renewal, signifying that there must have been something decent about working there.

However, you are completely right about the severance pay issue. Some of the teachers didn't get their severance pay. This was the only time this ever happened at the university. The most important part to point out here is that this did not happen to some teachers, but rather one. Only one. And this was a very special, unfortunate case.

Now I hope others, and yourself, can reevaluate what is written in this thread about the university and the camp. Your slanderous post will hopefully be removed from this forum, as the only truths it alludes to are ones which people can read when it is time to apply for the winter camp.

As for others, I have little advice to offer about camps. If they offer a visa and a contract then they are probably more legit than ones which do not. Be careful and always remember: a camp is a camp. It is not meant to be a normal job. It is meant to be more intensive and exciting. The pay should not be the be all of your decisions. :D

Good luck all,

clap
[i][/i]
Medic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for the previous post on the chinju Camp.

You require those who are already working in Korea to get permission from their current employer, particularly in the case of those working at universities. Have you had problems such as a person not being able to get the relevant permission from their university. If so have you gone ahead and employed them anyway.

What was the situation with the one person who didn't get his severance. One person is still one person, and whatever prevented him or her from getting their severance could happen to another. Please fill us in on the details.
applause

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

Hello again:

The severance pay issue is really none of my business. All I know is that of the hundreds of teachers that this school has employed only one has been denied severance. It had something to do with a late start date and not a full year finished service.

Now the permission thing. As far as I know the camp will not hire people if they cannot get permission from their university or school, or if they cannot get a temporary work visa.
Starperson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the Summer camps the same as the Summer Intensive Courses advertised on here?
wildBillLee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: SED Reply with quote

SED is the kind of outfit that gives Korea a bad name. You may get paid, but no promises.
simon77047

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: SED Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for my deposit. Maybe in my next life.
rodneyc863

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, new here but was wondering something. I noticed a lot of summer camp jobs seem to like to pay you only at the end of your contract.

Is this common practice? Or am i just hitting a lot of bad summer camps.

If i were to attend a 3 week camp for example, thats a long time to go without cash flow. Not to mention i have to pay for the plane ticket and basically pay for everything up until i get paid. Which leads me to my second question which is

What are the chances of NOT getting paid at the end of the summer camp? What are some good or bad signs of summer camps?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: