Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

god hagwons and churchies
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: god hagwons and churchies Reply with quote

ok,
First up maybe a q and a thing and my rant not intended to bash those who beileve in christ... But what is up with the amount christians in hogwons?

I mean is mine the only that seems to be full christians. And not just the good old c of e. or catholics either, but the full on 'wave your hands in the air like you just don't care' variety. Maybe I've lead a very sheltered life in New Zealand, but I've never seen this kind of full christianity. A church every few hundred meters, co workers who spend every spare minute of their weekend at church, religous quotes and services littered through my hogwon.

Maybe its just me as a non beilever getting all uppity about what seems like never ending attempts to convert me. Back home most christians seemed to go to church once a week on sunday, organise foodbanks etc. There were still the full on variety, but they seemed so few and far between. Why is that christianity seems to have taken such a 'full on' character here?

CLG
captain kirk

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rent 'the blues brothers' for some comic relief. i don't really understand full on christianity, the 'wave your hands in the air like you just don't care'. i understand that it's losing one's mind to join up with a greater whole. but it's a conceptualized letting go, with a lot of heart put into it. and it's often pushed on others. but it's not good for my soul to get a headache discriminating, so i'm gonna go meditate. can you fake it? i don't have the sense of humour, acting ability, and cruelty for that. but i'd sure like to try if i was surrounded like you are. hoo-whee. double culture shock. in korea AND in some strange land indeed. good luck, pilgrim! keeps you off the streets at least.
Saxiif

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got the time try to get your hands on Tongues of Fire by David Martin which is all about the recent explosion of Pentecostalism (ie wave your hands in the air), its mostly about Latin America but has an excellent chapter about Korea.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, CLG, its not just your school. I've had students ask me if I go to church on Sunday, and when I say no, they ask "Why not?", as if going to church is just something that everybody does. Perhaps they think that being from the place where xtianity really took off, all westerners are ardent churchgoers.
I once had a Christian student tell me that he would not allow his non-christian adult siblings to bow to their ancestors on Chinese New Years, because he was a Christian and objected. When I asked him what gave him the right to prohibit them from worshipping as they pleased, he said because he was the oldest brother, they would have to obey orders. I found it amusing that he was using one aspect of Confucianism to stamp out another aspect.
Some students have told me that Christianity is popular because it is more egalitarian than Confucianism, which kind of flies in the face of stereotypes about Christians in the west(moral majority types etc). Others have told me its because of the U.S. influence in Korea. I'd be interested in hearing about the experience of other posters with this issue.
Squaffy

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: god hagwons and churchies Reply with quote

crazylemongirl wrote:
the full on 'wave your hands in the air like you just don't care'

That'd be the Baptist church my dear. My significant other does that stuff - I just let him get on with it (credit though, he's never hassled me for not going to church).

Many moons ago, I was the head choir boy in a certain Cathedral in the UK. Abused kid I was. Forced to be in the choir. Glad my voice broke and got binned from the choir. Had to sing the first verse of 'Once in Royal Davids City' solo one Xmas in front of about 800 people. Makes me cringe even now as my mom plays the tape of it every Xmas.

on topic though - the God squad do my head in too. Bibles must be kept in handbags.

Have you noticed, the God squad usually have pimples, pasty complexions, ginger hair?
OiGirl

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was once told at a hogwon, "we like Christians because they behave." Twisted Evil
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christians are over-represented in the middle/upper classes here. The middle/upper classes are the ones that go to hakwon, so...
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen any problems come from it.

They say grace at lunch and they dont mind my heathen eating immediately. It's not a big deal.

Then again, if I was feeling cynical, I'd say they're "christians" the same way everyone back home are "christians". ie: They do it for the show and to have a way to flout their perceived moral superiority.
rapier

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the kids are well behaved, the teachers well motivated, your boss is honest and pays you properly, the people are friendly and genuine,- count your blessings...
K-in-C

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: Trolling? Flaming? Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd say they're "christians" the same way everyone back home are "christians". ie: They do it for the show and to have a way to flout their perceived moral superiority.

Please sir, do not lump all Christians in the same jar. I am a Christian but I am far from perfect. Your comments about Canadians and Christians are quite insulting. Do you like anyone?

Peace,

Kate in Canada
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reading and viewing suggestions... I'll see what I can get my hands on here.

I to was dragged through a christian school, although it was a very liberal one. What I find amazing here, was some of the real devoted church goers had no idea what palm sunday, ash wednesday etc. They did celebrate easter, but I get the feeling that the churches here seem to be like the schools. The repeat lines, but do not seem to grasp the bigger picture concepts that come out of the bible... I suppose it's not just here as I know christians at home who do that to. But it seems kind of weird that you can spend so much time devoted to religion without really learning anything about it.

Also I wasn't talking about my hagwon specifically but, just used some examples of it. Also given that there are such overt religous 'teachings' in the hagwons you'd think that they'd be upfront about it. I mean presumably these parents are paying money for some english lessons for the kids, if I was a korean parent I'd be annoyed that they were using my money to teach kids the 'word of god.' Also despite the number of churches there aren't many religous schools around (except for the unis). What's the deal with that?

I do think that korea's relationship with the US may have had something to do with it.. but I'm not sure. The only other asian countries I've been to are thailand and the phillipines (but just short stays) but I've never seen christianity practicied like this before (granted I haven't been to the bible belt of the states yet).

CLG
Circus Monkey

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that there are some missionary-type hagwons, in that some of the teachers are missionaries. Or are missionaries found more in the orphanages?

CM
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to http://www.well.com/conf/inkwell.vue/ and browse the topics for 'David Mason: Spirit of the Mountains' for a fascinating discussion of the modern history of religion in Korea.

To summarise (though it's a long time since I last read it,) Buddhism and Shamanism are seen as hillbilly pastimes, and that people who want to advance socially and economically have embraced Christianity, in large part due to the American connection.

I'm used to most of my kids being Christian, but your place sounds pretty hardcore about it. I haven't found Christians here to be particularly dogmatic though - usually just a gentle invitation to go to church every couple of months.
maxxx_power

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a coworker that continues to press for your "salvation" simply tell them not to mention religion to you again. It works for me most times and usually they understand (usually).

If they keep it up, offer to sacrifice a goat to satan with them. They should steer way clear of you after that.
Skippy

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this Christian thing is confusing. Are you talking about Christian Hagwons that teach enlgish through the word of god? Or are you talking about over the top nouvue Korean Christians?

Some of the relegiousity here with Koreans is a farce (same as back home in North America and Oceania). You will get boss that say they are good Christians and yet have no compunction to cheating and stealing from you. Or will commit adultary. Hell I have met hippes that are more Christ like then most Christians.

I have also seen some schools look for Christian teachers. I think in the end to have a more maleuable teacher. And the school will have a better chance of the teacher not being a part animal.

Some of my quick observations.

Skippy Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: