Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice before I commit...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krats1976

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Advice before I commit... Reply with quote

I'm a history teacher in the States and I am just about to commit to coming to Korea to teach. Before I do, I'd like some advice. What should I be looking for in a contract? I hear a lot about kindergarden... is this something I should avoid? Any advice would be much appreciated!
The Den

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would avoid kindergarten if I were you. Especially if it is your first time in Korea. Also make sure you do all the regular stuff before you commit such as talking to the previous foreign teacher, and checking blacklists and all that stuff. If you do not want to teach kindergarten make sure you get that written in your contract because they may suddenly spring it on you.
Pspazzboy

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Den: why avoid kindy? I'm looking into teaching in Korea too...
Canuck

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach 2 hours of kindy a day. Some peoplewill say "Man, that sucks!". But I like it. Kindy is better than the pricks from elementary or even some middle school brats. Little kids are more polite,more respectful and better behaved. The Den has no clue what you are like, hes making a reccomendation based on his preferences. But guess what Den, people like different things.
krats1976

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

The Den: how do I check blacklists?
The Den

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Canuck, If you like kindergarten good for you. I would not entirely agree with you on the comments you made either. As far as making reccomendations or giving advice based on my preferences. On whose preferences should I base that advice???

The fact of the matter is I had a negative experience teaching little children in Korea. I am basing any advice I give in my posts on the experience I have had. I could tell you were offended by what I had to say and for that I apologize. But on the other side of the coin you certainly did not have too many nice things to say about elementary or middle school students neither. I do not think they are brats or pricks.

Maybe I just cannot deal with little kids. I would not teach Kindergarten in Canada or Korea but that does not mean I think less of people who do. So lighten up.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If as you say you are, a History Teacher, then I take it that you are certified. Why not look for a position in a University? You'll teach a few classes a day, usually a nice apartment, 10 weeks or so a year vacation time. Plus you get a few other days off a month that hokwons will never get. University is the way to go. Pay? 1.8-2.0. But if you are at a hokwon, you'll be teaching 6,7 or 8 classes a day for the same pay.
Some teachers can teach Kindy and others can't. Kindy? You'll wear out! Just do some research at whatever school you select.

Last edited by hellofaniceguy on Thu May 22, 2003 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Pspazzboy

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Uni? Reply with quote

I'm a certified English teacher right out of college...are university positions a possibility? I was under the impression you had to have a MA to even apply. How would one go about applying for such a job?
flutieflakes

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to epik.knue.ac.kr/

better than any hogwan in my opinion.............................
Skippy

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kindergarden is one of two things to people. A joy or hell. Not everybody can handle children and young children at that. Me - I can not. Some people see Kindergarden and Preschool as overglorified babysitting.

It sounds like you are an acuautlly trained teacher. Most schools will snap you right up. My reco is look for a hagwon that has elementary and middle school. If you can Uni would be a bonus.

My opinion is best avoid preschoolers unless you love children.

Skippy the Evil Twin Twisted Evil
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To usually get a university job in korea you must know someone who knows someone who knows someone. Try a work for the EPIK program in korea first. Make contacts, etc. Go to the various colleges and universities in your area and make yourself known and better yet, volunteer. It takes a bit of work, but, how bad do you want to land a decent job in korea? You got a choice; hokwon, a year of uncertainty and probably get screwed. Or a university where you still get a screwing but not as bad. Masters degree? Why accept the same pay with a Masters as a Bachelors!?!?!? Universities don't care about a Masters when they pay everyone the same! It all comes down to having "people skills." You got them or you don't!
waterbaby

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good points made by those for and against teaching kindergarten.

Just a thought... what kind of person are you? Morning person? Night Owl? Avoid kindi if you are not a morning person, especially if you're not keen on teaching kids. Grrr. Grumpy teacher first thing in the morning...

If you are not adverse to teaching Kindergarten kids, you work mornings (starting around 9am or 10am) and finish by 6pm (If you're hakwon is decent).

If you work at a hakgwan teaching elementary kids and up, you'd probably start around 2 or 4pm and work until 8 or 9pm (some go later).

If you teach adults only at a hakwon, you'll probably have a split shift with very early mornings and evening classes.

A lot of us get regular hagkwon job (6 month or 12 month contract) up and then look for a uni position. It's easier to get a university job if you are actually in the country and available for an in-person interview.

If you are signing on for a job where they tell you upfront - over the phone/email (whatever) that you won't be working kindergarten, make sure you get it in writing in your contract. You've probably seen the "Duped by Kindergarten" thread?

There's lots of stuff posted here about contracts - pitfalls and perils. Try a search and see what you come up with. When you do get a contract in hand that you're interested in, post any specific question you have about that contract if you're not sure about something or want some more advice.

With a degree in teaching, you'll be snappled up in no time. Good luck!
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: EPIK? Better Do Your Research First! Reply with quote

"Flutie flakes"(Flutie flakes?That ought to tell you SOMETHING right there!)suggests EPIK as a viable alternative.I have a sneaking suspicion that "Flutie flakes" is either EPIK management cruising the forum or someone with a vested interest.I suggest that anyone considering signing with EPIK do your research WELL before signing with this program.Check out the entries on the Job Journal forum under Korea.If you are going to sign with them...it is your business...but at least know what you are getting yourself into... Rolling Eyes
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPIK is not bad. I am NOT in defense of it or of korea for that matter. It all comes down to where you get assigned to in korea with EPIK and having people skills also helps. Not to mention teaching skills! It worked for many teachers that I know including me for a few years. All of us that I knew of were paid on time, in fact paid extra money during the vacation season to teach, severance was paid, airfare, and housing was fine. 3 classes a day with EPIK at that time was what was required. Hokwon teachers were doing and still are doing 7, 8 and 9 classes a day!
Who wins? Go figure which is the better route. Now, I also know of the horror stories with EPIK and for that matter, horror stories are the norm in korea. I know of a teacher who left the second day at his assigned school! And he had the BEST deal in the whole group of teachers! But he didn't have finesse or people skills. The teacher who took his place stayed three years!

Last edited by hellofaniceguy on Sat May 24, 2003 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: People Skills? Reply with quote

I agree with you that it depends on where you get assigned...but it should not be that way.People skills?How about teaching skills?Few EPIKs have them.All that "people skills" stuff is,in my opinion,a load of hooey.Of course,you are entitled to your opinion.But a helluva lot of people agree with me,too...basically EPIK's problem is that they do not know why they are bringing people to Korea anyway...except maybe they want to copy Japan and have something like JET.But JET is immeasurably better...because those people are willing to spend the time,money,and energy to have a REAL program...not something like EPIK. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: