Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chindo Dogs??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PusanGrl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Chindo Dogs?? Reply with quote

I want to buy a Chindo dog and am not willing to take a 6 and a half hour bus ride there and back to Chindo. I would also like to see the parents of the puppy. Anyone have any ideas, especially close to Busan? Also has anyone brought a Chindo into Canada, what kind of things should I know. Cheers Smile
gajackson1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True-bred fullblooded Chindos would be available in Busan (sorry, can't tell you where, coz I don't know) - maybe, try a vet.

But, forget taking one out to Canada!!!! They are a 'cultural/national treasure/intangible asset.' I wanted to buy one too, and DID go down to the island. But I was informed that it is ILLEGAL to take them out of Korea.

I am sure some pups must be smuggled out, via boat, probably through China. But forget putting one on the plane.

Beautiful dogs, though.

G.
PusanGrl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told, that it is now possible to take them out of Korea with the right papers, as long as they aren't from Chindo island.
Anda

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:54 am    Post subject: um Reply with quote

Um if you are living in Busan as your name suggests then posting on the PusanWeb might get you an answer.
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Best Chindo Dogs May be in Seoul Reply with quote

I lived near Chindo for a few years and was told that the best Chindo dogs are not in Chindo. The pick of the litter are sent to Seoul or other large cities where they can be sold for a better price. Something to think about if your planning on going to Chindo to buy one.
The evil penguin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know much about the chindo temperment? I love the look (they bear an uncanny resemblance to our aussie dingo- just wondering if they are more trainable).
Dr. Buck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go to a gas station. At damn near every gas station I fill up at, there's usually a Chindo dog chained to a cement wall.

I've often read in the literature available, and heard from other Korean guys that Chindos are good hunting dogs, and that is nonsense. It doesn't retreive, or point like a bird dog, nor does it have the nose of a hound. It was merely used in packs long ago to exterminate big game and that is nothing special since all dogs can pack up and quarry the prey.

Another remark made by Koreans is that the dog is extremely clever and smart. Perhaps, and maybe. But there are many other smart dogs in the world, and smart dogs get noticed.

A few times in the Korean newspaper, I've seen photos of police and rescue dogs: a golden retriever, German Shepards, but no Chindo dogs.

There are some rumored "controls" about taking the dogs outside of the country, so perhaps that's why they largely are non-existent in dog species literature in print and on the web.

As for the dog as a companion, when was the last time you've seen someone walking/driving around with one?
I never have in five years here.

Often, I point to a Chindo dog and then my Korean friend says it's not a Chindo dog, as if it has some impurities in its bloodline. Whatever. I wouldn't trust much stock in the bloodlines. Another one of my Korean friends said there is a popular scam for "impure" bloodline Chindo dogs . . . and you know how Koreans are about "pure" bloodlines . . .

Most Korean's can't tell the difference from a purebred Chindo and a mixed blood lookalike.

Check the dogfight video at your local shop. Maybe they have it. There's some good footage of a couple Chindos and Pongsanggay (very "special" North Korean dog) death-locked at each other's throats.

As a lifetime dog lover I give the Chindo a big shrug of the shoulders. Nothing special in my opinion.

One note to the original poster: A Chindo will not work out well if you live in the standard English teacher's apartment.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Korean legend the Chindo is an extermly loyal dog, that don't take well to new owners.

I've heard stories (not sure if they are true) about the dogs. One of them is about a family who sold their dog to a man who lived 160 km away. Several weeks later the owner contacted the family saying the dog was missing. Another few weeks passed by and the family found the dog sitting on their front steps, missing a leg. Another story is of an old man who decided to go hiking one day. Unfortunatly he died while on the hike. Five days later some hikers found the body and the dog, hungry and alot skinner, sitting by its owner. However, similar stories appear in numerous cultures around the world. So, make your own judgment before you decide to get one, and maybe their will be a story about some foriegner who bought a Chindo dog.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: