Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foreign owned language institutes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puerto Rico also goes by the title of Commonwealth.
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son Deureo! wrote:
Puerto Rico also goes by the title of Commonwealth.

Last edited by HardyandTiny on Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
blah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can get an island for free in the Phillippines if you know where to look.

Highly unlikely.

I lived in the Philippines for two years, and am married to a Filipina.

My experience is that people who have spent a few months in the Philippines really only know the country from the point of view of a tourist. Much of what they report only scratched the surface of the truth. Be skeptical of what you have been told.

Nothing in the Philippines is free.

Insurgent forces, gangs, or pirates that will eventually kidnap you for ransom, or kill you for what you have in your pocket inhabit or eventually pass through any land that appears free.

If you are not married to a Filipino citizen and are not a permanent resident, you may not hold title to land or own a business of any kind.

Be very careful before you decide to do business in the Philippines. Most foreigners end up packing up and leaving because of money lost to theft, extortion, and many other forms of corruption. The ones who do well usually already have a lot of money, and can afford all the payoffs necessary to survive the business culture there.

Korea is a well-oiled machine compared to the Philippines.
Skarp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmn...

Saipan - I doubt it. People want to go to teh home country. There is no cache in going to a place no-one has heard of. Many want to meet a marriage partner and emigrate (even if they don't tell their parents this) or just have sexual and other freedoms impossible in Korea. I fear Saipan would be a boring place to work and study.

Maybe it would be great but you'd have to convince enough peopel and that'd cost a lot of money. If you had that kind of money you'd be better off doing someting else with it....

The EFL industry is dying all over teh UK and they tell me NZ and OZ are in trouble. Maybe the US is getting cheaper cos of the dollar rate but it has teh reputation for being dangerous ( and is culturally quite a dull place except in hot spots like SF or NY. - again reputation is everything.)

I'd love to co-own a school as part of a cooperative - not to make a fortune but to do something useful and to get a fairer rewwrd for my work and talent...

I;m not sure it's feasible in Korea though - the competition is fierce and would fight dirty.

Skarp
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see how the Guam University program pans out and if the Korean government decides to shift some of its overseas English program dollars to a closer location. There's a chance that all of the immigration and illegal alien problems caused in conjunction with the Australian program may make Guam an attractive alternative for overseas English language learning.
It's just marketing. Koreans might bite.
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterbaby wrote:
Yeah, it's certainly possible but there's a bunch of regluations concering foreigners setting up businesses and the info I've come across says that you need 50 million won as a kind of security deposit. As always, money talks.

Right
That's why it's better to go to a place outside of Korea and Japan but just close enough to make it seem like they're not at home and not away far from home.
Honestly, there are thousands of young people out of work and surviving and living in their parent's house...they're doing nothing.
Offer them an English course in Guam or Saipan-it's an English vacation for the upper middle class. You get them away-but not too far away- and it's related to education-everybody's happy!
We'll see what happens.
I'm sitting on it now for 3 months and watching.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread.

I've long thought about it with the Philippines. Tons of Koreans already there.. as well as Japanese and Taiwanese. Many go to study English from Filipinos.. how much better that would be to study with native speakers in the PI already.
John Henry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="The King of Kwangju"]
HardyandTiny wrote:
You can get an island for free in the Phillippines if you know where to look.

SAY WHAT!!!??? How does one do that???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: