Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you wear teaching?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captain kirk

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you get to wear speedos! we're forced to wear g-strings!
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I work at your school???
gajackson1

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as they are REAL G's; not those ridiculous korean honeymoon style.

G.
whiskey jack

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: what to wear? Reply with quote

In all honesty, who cares. I was taught to dress myself as a youngster. I shudder to think what kind of person I am that needs help in decidin what to wear...at work,or anytime for the matter. Come on people,this is not a pressing matter is it?
Maybe it is?I don't know. Maybe someone can post a relevant arguement for this topic?
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
Speedos.

How about a sock? [just one]
paul

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lucky because I am a medium men's size and for me, clothes and shoes are very easy and inexpensive. During fall and winter I wear a nice dress shirt and black dress pants. It looks professional and is comfortable. It also takes on a bit of a "uniform" look and when in Korea...

Even in spring and summer I'll wear dress pants because they are very cool and comfortable in the Korean heat. I have no idea how anyone can wear jeans in the summer here because the heat and humidity is absolutely wretched. For a shirt I'll wear a golf shirt or short sleeve dress shirt.

Besides, unless you are one of the very few people who can dress like a bohemian at work and still come on as a professional, then it's advised you dress for success or you will get no respect from the admin and your students will never take you seriously, nor will other teachers.
Butterfly

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you wear teaching? Reply with quote

merrilee wrote:
What is your typical dress code? And is it really impossible to get shoes in SoKo? What shoes do I need to bring with me?

I guess if you're teaching kids then it doesn't much matter, they want you to look fun, friendly and approachable. However, I teach adults and feel it is necessary to show them respect by dressing formally, and in turn, according to my dress they respect me.

In teaching adults I've seen a direct correlation between the way teachers dress and the respect they get from their students, scruffs have a harder time earning respect from students. I think if I was a student I'd be pretty much the same.

Suit, nicely pressed
clean pressed shirt and tie
polished leather shoes

Tailor made suits are cheap in Itaewon, and they help you get better results from your job. Dressing well works in Korea.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big yellow boots and a sou'wester. That's about it. The kids love it!
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulsajo wrote:
Zyzyfer wrote:
Speedos.

How about a sock? [just one]

Maybe if you cut it in half, and used a rubber band to make it as tight as possible, you'd be on to a new fad at my school.

All the women wear corks.
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
All the women wear corks.

Do they come with tassles?
captain kirk

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, dressing up works in korea.
i have to go into seoul to get some pants. been 'scruffy' the last few weeks, in sort of 'parachute pants'. and today, in this class of 12 year old girls, i got this 'weather change' at the very end of class. my amazing instincts tell me it was 'appearances'.
so i don't think it's possible to be 'scruffy' at a hagwon, and go along with the comment above on this thread that to be scruffy makes for a hard road. to me, scruffy is just comfortable. but to koreans, even kids, looking sharp is.........stating 'i am a teacher'; proud of what i do and here to serve (when i'm not flipping burgers)........hahaaaaaaa
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Flower wrote:
Do they come with tassles?

Both tassles and a little silver bell.
Emma Clare

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has taught in the UK I'd say it doesn't matter what age you teach, you still have to look smart and professional. Remember, parents are going to judge you on your appearance - even if the kids are not. Yes, I know that with younger kids wearing a suit isn't practical, but you can certainly look smart and be comfortable. Trousers and a blouse/shirt for instance sans jacket and tie. I also found that if I looked too casual the kids didn't see me as a teacher so much, but more like their older sister...and that's when the little buggers start to walk all over you.

Besides, you wouldn't even consider working in any other white collar profession without dressing appropriately. Why should teaching be any different?

Would probably be a very good idea to politely enquire as to the nature of any 'dress policy' if you are being interviewed for a position.

Outside of school however.....then whatever floats your boat!!
inexhile

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, so you cats use a sock, I always go for a sturdy broccoli head
ItalianPrincess

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: What do you wear teaching? Reply with quote

merrilee wrote:
What is your typical dress code? And is it really impossible to get shoes in SoKo? What shoes do I need to bring with me?

Clothing depends on your school. I have friends who have to dress up, but at my school as long as I don't look like I just crawled out of bed, I can wear what ever I want...except shorts.

As for shoes...my friend who has a US children size 4 1/2 is having trouble finding shoes because they're all childish looking...but if you have a normal size foot you should be ok....and Namdemun has loads of shoes stores who cater to larger size men shoes....I had a friend get a pair of US size 15 there last week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: