Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is Pohang like?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
necktie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: What is Pohang like? Reply with quote

I got a pretty good job offer in Pohang. Besides the fact it's a steel town, can anyone tell me what it's like there.? Things to do, shopping, night life, etc...... Thanks!
Laughing
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how Lonely Planet puts it:

"Unless you have a particular interest in steel smelters, you are only likely to use Pohang as a transit point..."

Keep in mind this is the fifth edition of Lonely Planet's "Korea", which is supposedly now more politically correct, with much of the tongue-in-cheek black humour of the former editions replaced with pro-Korea rubbish so as not to offend the locals. I'd shutter to think what they had written of Pohang previously... Shocked
svenska

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p'ohang's population is 550,000 or so. there are a lot of clothing shops in downtown p'ohang as well as restaurants, coffee shops, bars, etc. i don't drink, so i couldn't tell you the quality of those bars or if they are very "happenin'" places. there are nice hiking trails in the mountains right behind my apt. i like hiking so i really enjoy that. the grocery stores are nice, there are also a ton of places to buy electronics (cd players, cameras, computers, etc.)
it's 30 or 45 minutes by train to kyongju, "Korea's ancient cultural city" according to the guidebook i have. haven't been there yet but plan to before i leave korea. it's 2 hours by train to daegu if you want to visit a bigger city (which my husband and i do occasionally), only 2,600 won each way. it's a couple hours from busan as well but we haven't been there yet. p'ohang is also 45 minutes or so from homigot, the most eastern tip of korea where you can be the first to watch the sun rise in all of korea. that's a cool place. ferries from p'ohang take you to ullung-do, an island 3 hours east that is supposedly a great place to "get away from it all". there is a small airport here that apparently has flights to other cities in korea (to places outside of korea i'm not sure). i've been told the drive up the eastern coast is beautiful and that the beaches on the east coast are better than the ones on the east coast.
i've been here 3 months and i like p'ohang. most of what i've written is from experience and the rest is from talking to koreans or other foreigners here.
i'm also happy with the hagwon where i am teaching--great owner and director. i think your workplace in many ways will determine the quality of life you'll have, so make sure you feel good about the school and director you'll be working for.
some people on here say they've "heard" p'ohang is the armpit of korea and stuff like that, but i don't see much difference in the look of the city of p'ohang and any other cities i've seen. it doesn't sound like those people have actually been to p'ohang. but i'm also a big believer in the fact that a positive attitude can really help you wherever you are...email me if you have any other questions-i'd be glad to try and help.
good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: