Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Degree requirement for Teaching in Korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steven

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Degree requirement for Teaching in Korea Reply with quote

I am Australian, 48 year old male, teaching in China.
I do not have a degree but can show certificates gained in Tertiary Adult Further Education. (TAFE in Australia).
My study results, certificates received and examination history shows studies until the age of 40, in various disciplines, such as Law, Bookeeping, Financial analysis, office management, etc., etc. The results are A & B (credits) passes.
My background is business and I have a corporate training role history. My teaching and training history includes sales and marketing, motivation, time management, business and agency operations, public speaking, auctioneering, plus others. I have taught some of this in University here as a guest. I teach Kindergarten, public primary, middle school and the University tutorials above.
With a lifetime of business experience and knowledge, will I get or can I persue a teaching contract in Korea? Thank you. Steven.

Last edited by steven on Sat May 24, 2003 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Lemon

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With a lifetime of business experience and knowledge, will I get or can I persue a teaching contract in Korea?

Not legally. Though you're likely better prepared to lead classrooms than most teachers in Korea, visa regulations require a degree.

You could teach here illegally, but you really don't want to do that. Many teachers who do find themselves at the mercy of bosses who are well aware of the teachers' illegal status, and use this knowledge to treat them poorly - ("do X or I'll call Immigration...")
Canuck

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No degree? No chance.
rapier

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if koreans only allowed in teachers who have PhD's, they still wouldn't learn english properly. What they need is to attract former drill sergeants to the profession, and equip them with whips and instruments of torture licensed to be used on children aged 6-15 years old.
Anda

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 1:43 am    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Korea is a funny place. There are always exceptions. I know one Canadian lady that as far as I know is still working with a university here that has similar to you but is also accepted back in Canada. She was fairly high up in the Public Service in Canada. She was accepted into the goverment EPIK program to start with and after a number of years left EPIK to work at a university. She did get some knock backs before she was accepted at one university. Notice I only know of one but.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Degree requirement for Teaching in Korea Reply with quote

steven wrote:
I am Australian, 48 year old male, teaching in China.
I do not have a degree but can show certificates gained in Tertiary Adult Further Education. (TAFE in Australia).

I am wondering if Immigration would know the difference between an Australian University Degree and a TAFE Diploma, especially if the TAFE degree is part of a University establishment (for ex. RMIT & Swinburne in Melbourne). My TAFE diploma looks way more fancy and impressive than my uni degree (bit scrunched up now from being packed in a backpack for too long...) Who knows... might be worth a shot?!? Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: