Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are Transcripts really necessary to get an E-2 Visa?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rolan

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Are Transcripts really necessary to get an E-2 Visa? Reply with quote

I have a friend who began work in Korea 3 weeks ago and he didnt need
transcripts. Now someone else told me today that I needed them. What is
the law on this?

Write me at [email protected] or post a response please.

Thank you
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this thread in particular notice this

immigration wrote:
If necessary, the chief of a Korean Embassy or Consulate abroad may ask an applicant to submit more documents than required.

I have needed transcripts every time and i have been here for 6 years.
Korea Newfie

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And while the king needed them every time, I'm going on three years and haven't needed them yet, so you never know... Best to have them handy just in case.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, one time they were required, one time they weren't. I'm 50/50.
syclick

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first time coming to Korea on an E2 visa... Didn't need my transcripts.
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, it's a true legit schools that want them just in case. The typical hagwon will probably bribe their way out of this requirement should it come up.
Slinky

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: Missing transcripts! Reply with quote

Whilst on the topic of transcripts... I foolishly gave my (now ex) boss my original transcripts and degree certificates as he stressed he needed them for local immigration when I first started working for him. He finally returned my screwed up and hole-punched degree cert to me (after much debate as to whether they were now legally his or mine!!) (doh!) but said that immigration had kept my transcripts and wouldn't budge on the matter. A Korean friend contacted local immigration and they said it was tosh but hey what could I do... Question is... for a job in Korea I recently applied for I've been asked for original transcripts again but my Uni said they can't give me an 'original copy' anymore as I graduated a fair few years ago. Anyone with any experience of telling an employer that they can't have a document they've asked for?? Thanks fer lookin! Slinks Embarassed
K-in-C

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Signed sealed delivered..I'm yours.. Reply with quote

Good question Slinky. I also am wondering if transcripts must be sealed.

Thanks ahead of time to the person or people that post an aye or nay with certainty.

Kate in Canada
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Signed sealed delivered..I'm yours.. Reply with quote

Kate in Canada wrote:
Good question Slinky. I also am wondering if transcripts must be sealed.

Thanks ahead of time to the person or people that post an aye or nay with certainty.

Kate in Canada

No don't need to be sealed. I've been using the same transcripts for 6 years. A couple of universities ask for sealed ones, but I think that is because they are concerned about fakirs.
Slinky

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Uni has offered me a very simple computer print out of my transcripts, i.e. just a list of the grades, with no official Uni seal or stamp, let alone posh paper. I assured them that for Korean officials this isn't the same as a copy of my original transcripts but they aint budging on this one. They said I shouldn't have lost the original copy even when I argued that they had been withheld from me, not lost. Any suggestions? Ta!
Euroboy

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just out of interest........what exactly are transcripts?

i'm british and received a degree on graduation and nothing else.......is this a north american thing?

incidently, i'm on my third contract, and have only been asked for them once.......i told he boss we don't do that in europe and that was that!
waterbaby

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euroboy wrote:
just out of interest........what exactly are transcripts?

FYI - transcripts are just a piece of paper that list every subject you undertook during your study and your mark for that subject.

Slinky - when my transcripts were requested, I had to get my university to send them directly to the hakwon (I was in Oz at the time sorting out my visa) as Immigration required them in an envelope from the university, unsealed. (Come to think of it, I don't think I got that back from last hakwon.) So I am thinking that a copy from your university will be OK, not the original.
Canuck

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt need my transcripts for my current job. Just a diploma. But if I need them in the future, Ill just request them from my university. As long as its in a sealed envelope from your university, shouldnt be a problem.
Slinky

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Waterbaby! As I wrote above, my Uni said they'll only give me a computer print out though, not an actual copy of my transcripts. Am assuming this'll cause me mucho problemos, but ya never know...
harryh

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm British and i needed transcripts. I had to make contact with the university to get them. A time consuming process Mad

I don't know how i will 'tackle' trying to find my next contract, as most recruiters seem to want you to send the original degree or a notorised copy. I'm not prepared to let it out of my sight as the university will not issue another copy of the degree. Also, i will not be returning to the UK, so it seems i won't be able to get it notorised.

Are there any ways around this without having to part with the degree?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: