Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phillipenes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jordy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 3:36 am    Post subject: Phillipenes Reply with quote

Phillipenes?

Have you travled to the Phillipenes? Do you know anyone who has? I would like any advice or information on the Phillipenes? Is it safe, cheap, where to stay, food etc.
I am specifically thinking about Bolocay Island but any advice would be helpful. Thanks
Also, does anyone know of a good english speaking travel agent in Daejeon? Question
Derrek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: they might help Reply with quote

I was in the Phillippines 2 years ago. I had a close friend that was able to show me around though.

The plus side:

Many people (maybe 80%) speak some level of English. This is a great help. Many many more filipinos speak English than Koreans by far.

The Negative side:

Lots of terrorist warnings these days. Definately scarier than when I went there 2 years ago. But people still go. I probably still would, but I'd stick to certain areas.

If you really want some great information about the phils, go to this site and post in the Discussion Forum. It's a site for guys who are engaged to filipinas, and believe me -- they will be glad to help you out with any questions about lodging, the country, or whatever:

www.mag-anak.org

Good luck
stalinsdad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I went there less than a year ago. I would say it was one of the least enjoyable journeys I have had. I have travelled all through India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, but I must say the Phillipines were a particular disappointment. It cost too much, too much ripping off, taxis drivers are conmen and stupid. It is dangerous to walk about alone, no cheap accomodation, they think your a walking wallet! The pollution is terrible and the women although gorgeous, probably are disease ridden.
sillywilly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borocay ROCKED! None of us wanted to leave.. Unfortunately, the night life was so fun, at least around new years, that I became a night owl and slept throughbeautiful days that might have been spent getting cheap massages on the white sand or playing in the gentle water. Many different types of restaurants, all very decent and international. CHEAP! The womaen are beautiful , if youre into that. I recomend the Orchids resort.. close enough to the beach but not too close and the manager is awesome. I am going back for a month I think.
jordy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly...
When were you there? In the Phillipines I mean!
What airline did you take and how did you get to Boracay from Manila?

Please share more with me...I am totally interested.
Thanks!
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puerto Galera is another good place.. well, White Beach is the quiet side with nice ocean breezes and bungalows and quiet.. and Sabang nearby is where all the discos and bars are at.. not bad..

I went to Baguio as well.. not too bad.. up in the mountains.. cooler climate.. a little too boring.. but it was okay..

Manila is too crazy and I didn't care for that city at all..

I want to go back again.. but next time its going to be only in the Visayas.. particularly Boracay and Cebu and alot of island-hopping..

Basically, Philippines are sectioned into three places.. the northern section of LUZON (which is where Manila is at).. the middle section of VISAYAS which is hundreds and hundreds of islands.. and then the southern island of MINDANAO.. which is where most of the muslim activity and muslim people live.. which is probably the place you want to avoid right now... i should also mention a fourth area which is a thin long island called PALAWAN which is suppose to be quite interesting and unique in itself as well..
waterbaby

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Cebu, Bohol and Panglao islands in Feb of this year and loved it. I found the Filipino people to be so warm and hospitable and it was great that everyone spoke English. Shopping and eating were a lot cheaper than Thailand, but accommodation was a little bit more expensive. Can't wait to go back (don't that say that about too many countries I've visited) - I'm thinking this July summer vacation, Boracay... yay me! According to the Aust Gov't (thanks Anda for this info), two thirds of the world is dangerous to travel to! It seems just about everywhere is a terrorist risk (there were terrorist attacks going on when I was there, but nowhere near me). Just keep out of the very South areas of the Philippines (where there are troubles) and watch yourself around Manilla.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterbaby wrote:
I did Cebu, Bohol and Panglao islands in Feb of this year and loved it. I found the Filipino people to be so warm and hospitable and it was great that everyone spoke English. Shopping and eating were a lot cheaper than Thailand, but accommodation was a little bit more expensive. Can't wait to go back (don't that say that about too many countries I've visited) - I'm thinking this July summer vacation, Boracay... yay me! According to the Aust Gov't (thanks Anda for this info), two thirds of the world is dangerous to travel to! It seems just about everywhere is a terrorist risk (there were terrorist attacks going on when I was there, but nowhere near me). Just keep out of the very South areas of the Philippines (where there are troubles) and watch yourself around Manilla.
It makes me want to go! After my contract, I'm thinking a good 3-4 months I hope! Solely in Visayas most likely..

just curious how was CEBU? was it a little Manila or totally different? i heard 15% of the filipinos in Cebu are ethnically chinese.. and its suppose to be very conducive to foreigners for living.. from what i've heard..

By the way, outside of Boracy and Cebu.. is their nightlife? or are things pretty quiet?
waterbaby

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
just curious how was CEBU? was it a little Manila or totally different? i heard 15% of the filipinos in Cebu are ethnically chinese.. and its suppose to be very conducive to foreigners for living.. from what i've heard..

By the way, outside of Boracy and Cebu.. is their nightlife? or are things pretty quiet?

Cebu City is a dirty little city ... but once you get out of there, Cebu Island is beautiful. We stayed at a little beach called Moalbaol, about 3 hrs drive (make that an hour by cab until it overheats and you have to flag down a bus to take you the rest of the way...)

I was honeymooning there, so we weren't particularly interested in wild partying Wink but there were lots of bars along the beaches (kind of like at Thailands islands) and lots of cool people around to chat to. The Philippines was way less crowded than Thailand and where we were, anyway, there any of the go-go girl scene ... it was a very different vibe.

Tiger - I'll PM you with more details
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else been to Philippines recently?

Thanks for the website WaterBaby.. I did check it out!!
Seoultrader

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're a guy - Angeles City!

It's a town next to what used to be Clark Airbase with a few hundred go-go bars, restaurants, hotel, etc. Disneyland for men. I think it's better than Pattaya (Thailand) as Pattaya has become too Euro-touristy and the HIV+ rates there are just ridiculous, something like 10+%. (Of course don't be stupid and ALWAYS suit up for the act!)

About a 2 hour drive north of Manila.

$ 20 barfines (long), $10 short
$1 San Migs

Room in good hotel (Orchid Inn Resort ) in the middle of infamous Fields Ave. - $35 ($50 for a suite)

Ticket ICN-Man-ICN currently about 300,000

Budget about $120/day (2 long barfines or 4 shorties, or 1 long and 2 short, all the food you can eat and all the booze you can drink) and you'll live like a king.

I go once every 8 weeks or so for a long weekend (Fri. - Tues) at about the same total cost of 1 visit to a room salon in Seoul.

For more info:
www.angeles2.com
www.balibago.com

Or just PM me. It would be cool to get a group together sometime.

You do the carnal math. 5 days X 2 barfines/day (sometimes 3), booze and great food VS. a couple of hours with 1 princessy room salon girlie with a few beers and a small bottle or two of Dimple (ok, I admit that I only go to those places when I have to entertain company clients on company expense, but when it comes out of my own pocket....)
jg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoultrader,

Do any of your girlies come without pricetags? You seem to lay out a lot of coin to get your lovin'... whats the fun in that for you - besides the obvious... maybe no emotional attachment, you calling some kinky shots, or what? Just kind of curious, maybe none of my business but you are so forthright about it, though I imagine your answer would be way off the thread or too blue for here...
Seoultrader

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jg,

The best way I can explain this is by summarizing my lifestyle. On average I work about 12 hours a day, usually followed by work-related dinner/drinks, Mon-Sat, sometimes Sun. if a client is in town.

Not exactly the best conditions for a healthy relationship. But here's the point - I don't crave one. I have good friends, love my job and am overall as happy as a pig in poop. That need for a serious relationship just isn't there at this point in my life.

Of course, I still have a willy and related needs that have to be taken care of. The easiest and most hassle-free way to do that is to work with (lol) pros. I just don't see the point in wasting my time 'dating' in order to get laid (and potentially hurting someone in the process).

Cheers Very Happy
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to you old creeps. This isn't a sex board. Those are located elsewhere. Raggin on me for no visa and trading info about whores. What a piece of work you are, Seoultrader. Hypocrisy? Me? Look in the mirror you saggy old bastard.
Seoultrader

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsk tsk...youth these days...no respect for the elderly in their 30s. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: