Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vacation Advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where should I go?
Thailand
24%
 24%  [ 7 ]
Malaysia
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Phillipines
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Vietnam
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Other(post suggestion)
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
run around naked!
41%
 41%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 29

Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Vacation Advice Reply with quote

I'm planning a summer vacation trip with the chica. We've been talking about it, and trying to figure out where to go, but we haven't found that one special destination that we both agree would rock our socks off. So, I'll post some info, and I'd appreciate any advice that someone could give us in deciding where to go.

Some info pertaining to the chica's wishes:
She wants to visit temples/palaces
She wants to go rafting(not white water rafting)
She wants to ride elephants

Thailand: Thailand is nice, but I've been here before. Granted, I spent most of my time on Koh Samui, on beaches, but there are some other countries that interest me. This is her favorite choice of the lot.

Malaysia: As far as I know, Malaysia has similar stuff to Thailand, albeit not the same. I've been to Malaysia, but for only one day, and I also really liked the food there. We can also take a short stint to Singapore, which has equally awesome food. I have friends in both Malaysia and Singapore that I can contact.

Phillipines: I'm really really interested in seeing the Phillipines. In my hometown, there's a large concentration of Filipinos, my best friend is a Filipino, and I also have contacts there. But, the thing is, I don't know what we can actually do in the Phillipines...

Vietnam: I want to go to Vietnam the most, but the plane ticket is expensive. I know that Vietnam itself is cheap, but the plane ticket can run up to 600,000 won, and we've got a general budget of 1,000,000 won each.

We've only got 10 days as well.

Any suggestions?
FlagWaver

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KO PHAN GAN

FULL MOON PARTY
richinkorea

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Green with envy.

Spent quite a few months in Thai with the MRs (korean), she got tired of the looks. If you go up north it's better and leads me to my suggestion.

If you were to fly into Bangkok you could head to
Angkor Wat for a few days, catch a few days in Koh Chang or Koh Samet on the way back. Get out of Bangkok ASAP and head north to Chang Rai. Do the river raft (float) and elephant trek. Time permitting hop over into Laos, beautiful country and people. Many chances to check out temples on this route also, without visiting Laos this could be done in about ten days. You'd probably need to leave off a section to complete in 10 days (i.e. Angkor, the beach, or Chang Rai)

Malaysia - Drinks a bit more expensive, (maybe not important), food is great, high muslim population (mosques are cool until 4 AM). Taman Negara is awesome if you are looking for a jungle adventure.

Phillipines - ANother beautiful country. Rooms and transportation a bit more pricy but food and drink less. As many, if not more touts than in Thai, depending on where you want to go it will take time and money. Manila is a pit.

Vietnam - Another fascinating destination. Also a large country which requires a bit of time to see (we spent 30 days and still missed alot). Food and drink cheap ($.20 liters of bia hoi (beer)). Transportation is time consuming or expensive (fly). You could fly into Hanoi and get up to the Sapa area, visit Hanoi, and do a Ha Long Bay tour in about a week to ten days.

For me, I try to figure out where I want to go, and then find interesting things along the way to fit my schedule. GOOD LUCK Cool

Edit: Now I see the bit about 10 days.

Last edited by richinkorea on Fri May 09, 2003 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacation Advice Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
I'm planning a summer vacation trip with the chica. We've been talking about it, and trying to figure out where to go, but we haven't found that one special destination that we both agree would rock our socks off. So, I'll post some info, and I'd appreciate any advice that someone could give us in deciding where to go.

Some info pertaining to the chica's wishes:
She wants to visit temples/palaces
She wants to go rafting(not white water rafting)
She wants to ride elephants

Thailand: Thailand is nice, but I've been here before. Granted, I spent most of my time on Koh Samui, on beaches, but there are some other countries that interest me. This is her favorite choice of the lot.
It sounds like your girlfreind specifically wants Thailand.. in fact.. it sounds like she specifically wants to go to Chiang Mai and take one of those 3 day jungle treks with rafting, riding elepaphants and the tromping around locals villages.. which afterwards you can hang around Chiang Mai and see all the temples and palaces.. thats what it sounds like to me.. so for better or worse, it sounds like a trip to Chiang Mai (not all that bad).. i hate tromping around local villages though.. and the elephants are quite old and tired and retired.. and the rafting part just gets you wet and the stream isn't that great.. and the jungles there are pretty pale comparison comparing to the nature of Korea.. but its okay.. but its not that bad anyhow.. she might actually really like it alot though.. and you'd get some great photos.. and probably make her day.. if not her year..

Zyzyfer wrote:
Malaysia: As far as I know, Malaysia has similar stuff to Thailand, albeit not the same. I've been to Malaysia, but for only one day, and I also really liked the food there. We can also take a short stint to Singapore, which has equally awesome food. I have friends in both Malaysia and Singapore that I can contact.
Malaysia would be nice.. just a change of scenery.. its a little cleaner.. there are tons and tons of great national parks as well as beaches.. substitute mosques instead of temples..

Zyzyfer wrote:
Phillipines: I'm really really interested in seeing the Phillipines. In my hometown, there's a large concentration of Filipinos, my best friend is a Filipino, and I also have contacts there. But, the thing is, I don't know what we can actually do in the Phillipines...
This is where I want to take one of my next vacations.. just island hopping.. went there once and all i gotta say is avoid Manila.. next time around I just wanna island hop in Visayas.. fly into Cebu.. would be very nice.. however, temples and great food.. well, thats not really Philippines.. Philippines is more island-hopping and having alot of English spoken to you.. and the natives are really fun and easy to talk with..

Zyzyfer wrote:
Vietnam: I want to go to Vietnam the most, but the plane ticket is expensive. I know that Vietnam itself is cheap, but the plane ticket can run up to 600,000 won, and we've got a general budget of 1,000,000 won each.
I love Vietnam.. I've been there twice.. was going to teach English there as well.. you are right that its expensive to fly there.. but since you have only 10 days.. you will easily stay under your budget.. however I'd highly recommend going from Hanoi to Saigon (or vice versa).. and i think you need 21 days minimum.. but 30 days would be ideal.. you just won't see anywhere near as much of the cool stuff in 10 days.. unfortunately..

My general opinion is that your girlfriend wants to see Chiang Mai it seems.. by her description of what she wants to do.. so maybe deliver on that one.. plus 10 days is just about right.. because you do Chiang Mai.. maybe 3 days jungle trek.. maybe combine it with Chiang Rai or something.. you could easily hang around Chiang Mai for a week.. easily.. and then gives you just a few days leeway to goof off in Bangkok.. or even hit a beach for a day or two.. something like that.. not bad.. just about right.. and easily stay under your budget..
gajackson1

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

every year on my RTW, I spend approximately 2 months hopping around SEAM/I.

Based upon what you have put forth, I think the Chiang-mai/Chiang-rai route, with a possible jaunt up into Laos, would be the way to go.

note that Ayutthaya might also fulfill the elephant portion.

Vietnam is gorgeous, and your problem there isn't money - it is time. Go there, & you have to choose which half to see.

I love the Pinoys/Pinays, too, but you aren't going to get in a lot of the stuff you would like to.

So, fly into BKK, grab the overnight sleepr to CM, grab a scooter, & start exploring. You'll have a blast, and then arrange the trek thing - take time to get a solid recc; some companies/trips are pretty rough.

Get up to Laos, & hang out in Vientienne - a VERY cool city to just goof off in.

Sounds like you have the makings for some very cool trips in the next few years! that's what it's all about . . .

Regards,

Glen Cool
Squaffy

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nepal - go trekking up to Everest base camp. PM me for details if you're interested as I have some v good contacts in Nepal.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon my cluelessness on the matter, Squaffy, but where on earth is Nepal?

I think it's the one place that I can't point out on a map of the world...
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEPAL is between India and China..

Its in the Himilayas.. Mount Everest..

I've been there.. but it would be expensive to fly to and would blow your budget.. in addition.. 10 days wouldn't be worth it.. if you are going to Nepal I think you would want to spend more time.. first off, hikes alone are like a week or a little more.. plus you'd want to check out Kathmandu and probably this really cool national park outside of Pokhara.. (can't remember the parks name - but its got rhinos and tigers and stuff)..

Actually Nepal is better to tie in with an India trip and really take alot of time.. not really the place to fly in for 10 days and head back out again..
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why's everyone voting for running around naked! Sheesh. I do enough of that already...
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where did you decide to go?
Trinny

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save money. It's fun to watch your money build up in your bank account. Wink Sorry.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, sorry. Going to Thailand. Currently trying to create an itinerary.

-10 days
-chica wants to go from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur
-I want to squeeze Koh Samui/Koh Pha Nang in there too
-we still wanna see the same temple/elephant/rafting combo

Dunno how possible that is....
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that if you haven't been to Thailand before than go there. I've made two trips and enjoyed both immensely. I'll likely go back for a third trip sometime in the next few years.

Vietnam is a really interesting country but not the best place to go if you want rest and relaxation. On the bright side it's quite cheap, even compared to Thailand. I didn't care much for the food or the people though.

I've heard lots about the Phillipines but mostly from folks that have been there on package tours. Sounds nice. Manilla sounds like a dump though.

A friend of mine spent several months in Malaysia and said at the time that he'd like to live there. He didn't care much for Kuala Lumpur though.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacific Coast of Russia.

CLG
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylehawkins2000 wrote:
I'd say that if you haven't been to Thailand before than go there. I've made two trips and enjoyed both immensely. I'll likely go back for a third trip sometime in the next few years.

Though I've chosen Thailand, I have been both there and to Malaysia...granted, the only place I went in Malaysia was Penang, but yea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: