Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got my F-2-1 today, so...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject: Got my F-2-1 today, so... Reply with quote

I know, we've already had threads about this, but I want it known what I went through to get my F-2-1 visa...a little different than some past posts (and since this issuance is most recent, I'm considering it an 'update').

Items submitted:
Spouse's birth certificate (Joomin deungrok deungbon)
*Family tree certificate (Hojeok deungbon)
Reference certificate (Shinwon bojeungseo) <signed and stamped by lawyer>
** Spouse's job certificate (Jaejik jeungmyoung seo )
*** Marriage certificate (notarized by Korean and your gov't)
Your and spouse's ID card
Your passport
80,000 won worth of stamps (50,000 for change of visa, 30,000 for F2)

Spouse has no job? Immigration said they needed some paper showing ownership of house...didn't supply that, so not sure about it. My wife has many jobs, none of which have blipped the radar, thus the gov't knows nothing of it. So legally/technically, she hasn't one, however, she did have one boss stamp a paper saying she was employed.

Regarding the proving you have 30 million won. Not needed. Wife called our province's immigration office a while back...the man said we needed to show our bank account info with 30 million in it. She then called other provinces, nobody said that. Went to get my F-2-1 yesterday and the grumpy old man (who is Team jjang;, and answered the phone previously) was at lunch. The nice guy at the counter never asked for the bank info.

We were in and out in 20 minutes flat. Thoroughly succinct and pleasant experience as possible....regarding immigration.

FYI

Shoosh,

Ryst

* Two registers - One showing wife on the family tree, NEW one showing
she's been withdrawn (aka sold off!)

**Some kind of proof that she's able to support you, financially

*** Legal document from your embassy and (most likely) Chong-ro office, not the cheeky paper you have from the actual wedding ceremony.

Last edited by Ryst Helmut on Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
weatherman

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What benefits does the F-2-1 give you?
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Z benes are.... Reply with quote

Weatherman,

Well, the visa is under the "Permission for engaging in activities not covered by the status of sojourn" section. Under this, well, it allows me to seek additional employment or what-not, legally. This part is a bit confusing, as I didn't think to ask the official to clarify... he told me that if I were to work anywhere other than my primary employment, I should inform his immigration office. Fair enough.

My wife went to http://www.nts.go.kr/ to figure out taxes, and the site informed her (why, not sure, doesn't make sense) that there weren't taxes on incomes less than W1,000,000. Did this to figure out private income, but would that be independent income, or additional to my primary source?

Cheeky, eh?

Official also stated that if i were to work for multiple hakwons (what nightmare does he think I want to submit myself to?), I had to go to the immigration office and get 30,000 won stamps for each school.

The visa allows me to sit on my arse and do bugger all. I don't have to leave the country if I don't work. I don't have to leave the country when I change jobs (really, that's for everyone).

After 2 years in my F2 status, I can get a Two Year visa....same schtuff, just one more year of no hassle....

I will find out exactly what the law is regarding privates, so I will post that info. up later...

Shoosh,

Ryst
weatherman

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that is great! And very tempting too. I congratulate you on your newly won freedom. You are not an E-2 slave anymore.
Canuck

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its great isnt it? I will be taking advantage of the ability to work multiple jobs when I come back to Korea after my vacation. Time to really start making the money.
FierceInvalid

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify - with the F2, you don't need a school to sponsor the visa, right? So that means you're free to change jobs without release letters or any of that other hassle, kind of like Japan (where teachers own their own visa and can shop it around at will)?

That's pretty sweet. No more worrying about dodgy jobs and midnight runs (although assuming you've been here a while since you married a Korean, this probably isn't as big a concern any more).
mack the knife

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...you don't need a school to sponsor the visa, right...

well, yes and no. your primary visa is now the F-2. however, guess what you'll be holding (concurrently) if you take up a job (legally) teaching english. yup. you guessed it. an E-2. the good news is, the school is no longer considered your sponsor (your spouse took over that responsibility, bless his or her heart).

the F-2 DOES NOT give you GOD-LIKE powers...however...if you are caught teaching privates you will no longer be deported. you will be treated like a korean national (which means you will be fined--typically 1 mil. won). on the other hand, if you do something foolish like toke on a joint and get caught, you will end up in the korean penal system (where you do not want to be) rather than simply being deported (i.e. getting off light).

the number 1 coolest thing about the F-2 is that it allows us married folk to sit on our *sses and do nothing all day, everyday (except, of course, posting on Dave's occasionally).
Canuck

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehehe

Quote:
the number 1 coolest thing about the F-2 is that it allows us married folk to sit on our *sses and do nothing all day, everyday (except, of course, posting on Dave's occasionally).

The visa does, but will your wife?Smile I dont think minewould like it much if I sat on my ass all day and just posted here.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has the information ryst presented changed (we all know how fickle immigration can be) as I want/need to get this visa relatively soon. Ryst could you post the korean again, it doesn't show up at all even when I do the encoding thing.

Any help from anyone is much appreciated. Some info, my wife will be quitting her job soon does ownership of a house actually mean owning or is a chunsae of 123 million good enough?

Firsthand knowledge only guys, I want to hear it from the source.

Thanks
Stunted Wookie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: f2-1 Reply with quote

I got mine a while back..here in busan, no housing info was needed nor requested at any time.

Just my experience.
Holyjoe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: f2-1 Reply with quote

Stunted Wookie wrote:
I got mine a while back..here in busan, no housing info was needed nor requested at any time.

Just my experience.

It's not the housing info really as much as the proof of money... did you have to show any bank account statements etc?

I'll be applying for the F-2 visa in the next few weeks so I'm just as interested in finding out the current procedures Smile
Stunted Wookie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: f2-money Reply with quote

No money, not a thing..just passports and the marriage affidavits, and the host of my wifes document...

100% absolutely no bank book, no $$ questions, notta
matthews_world

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted you love your wives and are thankful for them.

But in all honesty, does an F-2 give you all the rights that a Korean has? For example, voting and what not?

I'll wait for your answers for the next part of my question.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Of course not Reply with quote

Matt,

Of course not, the F-2 only relieves us from some of the cheeky laws and hindrances that the unrelated (marriage or blood-line) foreigner must jump through.

Had we been able to vote, Noh, Moo-hyun would never have been elected!

Shoosh,

Ryst
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got off the phone with my wife who just called immigration. Apparantly it is still very easy, ~20,000won fee and some documents need to be notarized ~50,000. and a little bit of time

As soon as I get my new passport taken care of I will be getting this f2-1 visa and will keep you posted.

KK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: