Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prescriptions in South Korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corey Walker

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: Prescriptions in South Korea Reply with quote

Hello folks:

I am in Canada and I take prescription medications for a genuine medical condition. One of the meds is a narcotic (Ritalin). I know that the South East Asian countries are really strict on narcotics because some people abuse them and use them as a drug. My question is this:

1. Does anybody know how many weeks/months worth of medication a person can take into Korea when accompanied with a doctor's letter. I would be working on an E2 Visa. I don't have a job yet, but am researching all countries.

2. How reliable and helpful are the pharmacies and doctors in South Korea? I imagine most people's experience would be with Seoul, but I'd also like to know experiences in more rural areas, so please post your area as part of your answer. Do pharmacists, doctors or nurses generally speak fluent or near fluent English? Has anybody had problems getting a medication in Korea that is comparable or identical to what they had in Canada or the USA? I'm not concerned about brand names, as long as the ingredients are the same.

Thank you for your valued assistance.

Corey Walker
Prince George, B.C.
itchy

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Prescriptions in South Korea Reply with quote

[][][]

Last edited by itchy on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Prescriptions in South Korea Reply with quote

itchy wrote:
None of them speak English. You need to bring a Korean with you to translate. Doctors don't usually speak english, and nurses never do.

In my two years, I've never met a doctor or a pharmacist who didn't speak English. Being able to read English is required for medical journals and whatnot. Doctors and pharmacists who can't speak English are few and far between.

Nurses though, hit and miss. And the hits are usually low level.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to go to a doctor first. you tell the doctor what you were taking back in canada and he will prescribe it for you. it's that simple. you can essentially write your own prescriptions.

as gord mentioned, most doctors speak a modicum of english, although generally it ain't good. it does in fact help to bring in a korean friend/coworker to explain your symptoms/condition.

you may not be able to find all medications here. i've stumped the chumps several times...also, many medications are only available in very low strength (e.g. xanax, valium).
The Marchioness

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Itchy: I don't know what hinterland of Korea you are located in, but in the little dump where I am all the pharmacists and doctors speak excellent English. Why???? Their textbooks are generally in English (sometimes Japanese). I have not yet met one who didn't - either here or in Ulsan.

Please don't feed misinformation to newbies; it's just not on.

The Marchioness
schwa

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctors, dentists, pharmacists all have educational background in english but most have had little chance to speak it. Older professionals especially will be almost completely tongue-tied to the extent you think they dont know any, but they'll usually understand slow clear english & be able to speak a little, especially technical terms. When it comes to drugs, its often useful to write them down -- generic & brand names -- as korean & english pronunciation of the same word can be quite different.

A poster above spoke of being 'constantly sick' being normal for the first year -- simply not true. Happens to some, sure, but many others catch nothing more than the odd seasonal cold. Depends on your constitution & sensitivities.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would need a prescription for Ritilin. Just go to a doctor and tell him/her you take it, then you'll get the prescription. Any doctor in Korea would know it. It is not true that you can get anything from a pharmacy without a prescription (at least not legally) since the law changed in 2000.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Prescriptions in South Korea Reply with quote

itchy wrote:
Generally the pharmacy will sell the medication directly to you. Prescriptions don't really exist.

THis information is wrong. two years ago the government mandated doctors prescriptioins for all medication. For simple things like tylenol, no problem but anything that would require a prescription back home requires one here now too.

Doctors don't necessarily speak English well, but it isn't hard to find one in the Seoul area. I would recommend going to the Hannam Clinic if you need to see a doctor. Avoid Dr. Linton - at yonsei, he costs a fortune and is pretty rude in my opinion.
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might find drs here very hesitant to prescribe ritalin to adults here. Heard of several people with that problem. Drs here think that its a kids disorder and adults don't need it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: