Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming back, anyone know a decent recruiter for Seoul area?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kal36

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Coming back, anyone know a decent recruiter for Seoul area? Reply with quote

Hi, am returning to Korea and wanna check out Seoul this time. Only problem, difficult to tell one recruiter from the next. Anyone who knows an honest/straightforward recruiter/agency please advise....thank's.....
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of job are you looking for in which location? It may be that one of us knows of an opening. When are you looking to return?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Honest recruiter?Good Luck? Reply with quote

Why don't you just contact schools directly?Check out the Jobs Offered (Korea) section on Dave's.I know,I know,,,you can still get burnt...but a RECRUITER,A GOOD RECRUITER? Lord have mercy! Good luck in finding one here! Rolling Eyes
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the previous replys indicated; WHY a recruiter!?!? You can find a job on your own just has easy and most importantly, you'll have the same headaches at the school with or without a recruiter!!!
Do us all a favor a look for yourself. Many jobs available in korea! Interview in person. You would not get a job in the west without an interview, why do it in korea? Fly over, make a list of cities and jobs and go from there. Interview in person and usually you won't go wrong.
Zark

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 3:08 am    Post subject: how about Reply with quote

Some balance here. I got my first job here - a long time ago, via a recruiter. This is often a boring and overdone topic - but I must say that the recruiter put me in a place that went bad over time - but really rescued my furry b*tt too. And moved me to a much better situation. This time I didn't use a recruiter only because a friend fixed me up at her place. But I wouldn't have hesitated to use one.

Check the EFL-law site. I think it is EFL-law.com? Check around you'll find it. They have a white list of five or six that they consider reputable.

Racism? Ha! Wait til you see what a bear has to do to get a job here! GRRRRRRRR
waterbaby

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that you can use a recruiter to get in touch with schools looking for jobs and negotiate directly with the school itself, which is pretty much what I did. The recruiter still gets his fee, does less work and is happy. The school gets me so of course they're extremely happy ( Rolling Eyes WB rolls eyes at self)

The recruiter told me about some available jobs and we narrowed it down to two I was interested in and I went for an interview at one school and checked it all out and really liked it and the people there so I took that job.

If you're looking for work from outside Korea, I'd never just take a job from a recruiter without talking to the school directly. In my expereince, recruiters are often dealing with so many positions that they tend to get the small (but often VERY important) details wrong... thinks like getting to Korea and finding out that you ARE teaching kindergarten afterall, oh, and your work day finishes at 8pm, not 6pm...
Korea Newfie

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mody Ba,

Finding schools on Dave's is a good idea in theory, but it seems like most schools these days are going straight to recruiters, and not trying to find someone themselves. All I can find are tons of recruiters who seem at best ineffectual and at worst slimy. Where can I find school ads?

I keep hearing that it's best to interview in person, but how do I find schools to contact?
waterbaby

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea Newfie wrote:
I keep hearing that it's best to interview in person, but how do I find schools to contact?

Why not use a recruiter to introduce you to the schools??? They don't have to hold your hand or negotiate the whole deal for you.
Harpeau

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stunted Wookie (a guy who is a part of our community) is a recruiter out of Pusan for the whole of Korea. He's a Canadian and a very nice guy. He takes his job seriously and is very careful. I trust him. I would highly recommend him.

If you want more info, then feel free to PM me. Or you can drop him a line, too.

Best of luck!
Harpeau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
starfish

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really recommend Foot prints (see www.footprintsrecruiting.com). I have been dealing with them for the last couple of months. Unfortunately I ended up with a position through a friend, but Footprints were so professional while working with them that I woudl still recommend them. They were also recommended to me by someone on this site. When I registered with them, they asked for professional references which I know they followed up because I am still in touch with my ex-Employers. The positions offered to me were all large chains, and were always followed with email addresses of present teachers and interviews with the directors'. Footprints personally checks out all the schools and I was sent photo's of the housing and schools. I was actually disappointed that the position I ended up with wasn't through them, because these guys really work for that recruiters fee, and deserve it.
GirlFromMars

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try www.teachkoreaanz.com and www.teachkorea-usa.com these guys have been really helpful to me in my job search in terms of detailed emails and advice, especially Janine at the teachkorea-usa site (even though I'm Aussie).

I'm negotiating directly with a school at the moment because so far they haven't found me anything suitable in Seoul which may be a prob since that's where you're also looking. But they are definitely worth a try, they will bend over backwards to help out.

I've read some good things about SmilingKorea on this site but from personal experience they didn't even acknowlege my application (although they did post my details on their site), still heard nothing.

I'm bypassing the recruiters now anyway because I agree with the people who say apply direct. Choose the schools by reading the various threads on this site, the one I'm dealing with hadn't advertised a vacancy but I applied anyway and it turns out they need someone at exactly the time I'm ready to go there.[/quote]
Korea Newfie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterbaby wrote:
Korea Newfie wrote:

Why not use a recruiter to introduce you to the schools??? They don't have to hold your hand or negotiate the whole deal for you.

Waterbaby,

Thanks, but I think you kind of missed the point. I don't need someone to 'hold my hand' or negotiate for me. What I was asking, rather, was how to circumvent the recruiters entirely. I know they can introduce me to a school, but many only tell me about schools I'm not interested in. How can I find schools without using a recruiter?
gajackson1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand Newfie's point -

C & I are in the job hunt now (me for Uni, her for a hakwon, but pref. no kindy), and of course I went to the Korean Jobs section here first.

Yes, I agree - over the past 5-6 years, I saw a lot more schools and fewer recruiters. Now, it is seemingly the opposite - almost all the ads are either recruiters or the big chains, with very few independent schools.

Someone asked me once about the Canadian husband-Korean wife recruiting team I know/trust in the Seoul area; Dave, at 011.239.9803

I also know that there are a couple of other websites that host schools info as well, but, err, I don't know if I can/should post info links here about that.

As for the Wookie, I have been following his posts for awhile, and had no idea he was a recruiter. I'd trust him, based upon what I have read of his and the advice he has given.

Good luck to you in any case,

Glen
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newfie: come to Korea and check things out for yourself. Other than that, you're limited to what recruiters offer you and what you can find on the internet.
JAMZ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know a good recruiter for schools in Kangnam????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: