Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian Visas for your Korean wife
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GottaBeKD

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 7:57 am    Post subject: Canadian Visas for your Korean wife Reply with quote

I will be marrying the prettiest Korean girl you've ever seen in September.

What are her Visa options when coming back to Canada. What have other couples done?

I've heard about permanent residence visa, that sounds good, is that what you've done? Also, what about school? She will be attending university there, does anyone know if our marriage and her visa will allow her to skip the 400% tuition increase?

Foreigners normally pay 500% tuition for the same courses canadians take, will she skip that after marriage?
PatrickSiheung

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the upcoming marriage =)
But I'm afraid I got the prettiest Korean girl LOL just kidding around.

I'm also curious about visas and tuition costs.

Anybody?
syclick

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian Visas for your Korean wife Reply with quote

GottaBeKD wrote:

You've been seeing my fiancee??????? Shocked

You better start running - QUICK... Very Happy

Seriously, though... congrats!

GottaBeKD wrote:
I've heard about permanent residence visa, that sounds good, is that what you've done?

Yes, that's what we're doing. The Korean govt will not allow her dual citizenship, at least not yet. So if she doesn't want to lose her Korean citizenship, a perm residency visa is the way to go.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can [should] begin the permanent residency visa process in Korea- make sure you submit the neccessary docs six months before you plan on going to Canada.

If I remember correctly the fees total around $1300, and I'm fairly certain that once she has permanent residency status schools can't ding her on the int'l. student tuition fees.

She'll also get free English [if she needs/wants them- they have a TOEFL prep level here in Ottawa, not sure what smaller communities may offer] and French lessons.

All the info you need is at the Cdn embassy and gov.ca websites [they can be tricky to navigate, but the info IS there somewhere].
anae

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Permanent residency is the way to go. With permanent residency she can attend university at the same tuition as other Canadians and she can work or volunteer freely.

I sponsored my Korean husband back in 2001. At that time, it took about 10 months start to finish, even though they told me four. First you must be approved as a sponsor. Then she may apply as a family class immigrant. The consulate in Seoul now does family class immigration, so no worries about lost paperwork in Manila. The fees come to about $1500. This money would include English lessons should your wife qualifies and depending on what area of Canada. My husband did not because his English was too advanced and Alberta only has English for employment entry.

The only down side about applying from outside of Canada, is that your wife will not be allowed to enter into Canada until she has been approved.

If you choose to go to Canada with her on a visitor's visa issued at the border and apply from there, make sure you have all of her paper work from Korea and that the translations and notarizations are recent (they do expire!). It can be particularly difficult to get police clearance once she is out of Korea. On that topic, she will need a police clearance from every country she has lived in for over 6 months since turning 18.

If she wants to become a Canadian citizen, she must reside in Canada for three continuous years. We have one year to go!

Congratulations and best of luck!
steroidmaximus

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO I'm a daddy. . .hooray for me! Am wondering if any of you who have gone through this process can tell me how to get my daughter registered in my passport? We're planning on going to Canada in July. ..
Trinny

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steroidmaximus,

Congratulations. I don't have an answer as to how to get your daughter registered. But, if she will travel on Canadian passport, make sure to get a foreigner registration card for her. The immigration people won't tell you about the requirement for foreigner registration card until you and your daughter exit Korea and then they slap a huge amount of penalty on you.

As for amending your passport, I guess you have to phone up the embassy. Good luck.
Canuck

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Ive been married for a year and a half. We dont plan on going to Canada any time soon, but it would still be cool to get my wife a residency visa. Can it be done if we are living in Korea? If we ever do decide to go to Canada, it would be good if she had residency there. Can this be done? Or do we physially have to be living in Canada for some amount of time.
Trinny

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulsajo wrote:
She'll also get free English [if she needs/wants them- they have a TOEFL prep level here in Ottawa, not sure what smaller communities may offer] and French lessons.

Bulsajo, I am in Ottawa area. I found free English classes offered by the district school board, but not a free French class. Do you know where I can take free french lessons?

And I am sure your wife speaks good English. She might not have to go to these English classes. She might find herself too advanced even for the most advanced class.
Trinny

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canuck wrote:
Can it be done if we are living in Korea? If we ever do decide to go to Canada, it would be good if she had residency there. Can this be done? Or do we physially have to be living in Canada for some amount of time.

Canuck,

Short answer is no. One of the requirements of permanent residency is that you have to live in Canada at least 3 years out of 5 years, from the point you obtain permanent residency, otherwise your residency will be revoked and you have to reapply for immigration process from the get-go. Actually there is no point getting permanent residency, unless you plan to move to Canada in forseeable future.

Trin.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trinny, check your PM.
GottaBeKD

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About applying as a sponsor for my wife's permanent residency:

What are some of the snags that might get me caught up on the way? Do I need to be rich? I still have a hefty student loan and I dont have much savings besides what I will be spending on my wedding ceremony.

I'm worried I need to have lots of money, I hope that is not the case.
anae

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do all of the paperwork correctly, I don't see any snags. They do ask about your income, but for sponsoring a spouse there isn't a minimum. However, I found it hard to prove I was moving back to Canada. They give you examples like registering for university, buying a house, getting a job offer. Though who can register for university when they can't guarantee you when you will get the visa? I had my dad's company make up an employment offer and that seemed to work.
PootyTang

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian Visas for your Korean wife Reply with quote

GottaBeKD wrote:

You must be mistaken my brother. I already married the prettiest Korean girl in '99, so sorry.
bignate

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, make sure that if your fiancee ever lived in a foreign country that she must procure police clearance from every country that she resided in for a certain time.

My wife attended school in California and that meant she not only needed clearance from the FBI, but also the California State Police. This included taking fingerprints and a criminal background check, it took about a month or more to get those back.

And make sure that you don't apply during a time surrounding a majot terrorist action. We were married in late August of 2001, then because of the tragedy on 9/11, we had to wait a while to apply. Then when we did apply (from within Canada, I don't think you can do this anymore) in March of 2002, it was just before the time for Student visas and they had just completed the new training for CIC, they had a huge back log of student visas and refugee claims, so naturally we got pushed to the bottom. Then they said they never recieved my wife's medical file, although they had said before that everything was in order and we could name the person who had signed for it, they said tuff, we don't have it, had to re-apply for visitor status 75$, then my wife forgot that her passport expired, over stayed her visa -$200 fine. Etc, etc, etc. Evil or Very Mad

I hate governmental beaurocracy!

And now over one year later still no landed status! Evil or Very Mad But she now has OHIP, and a SIN number and can work, but final decision will be made in September 2003.

Ieeshi!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: