Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

trapped by your company - advise please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
in pain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: trapped by your company - advise please Reply with quote

I am curently working for a supposedly reputable company in Korea - (The name will follow after i get out of this situation) They placed me in a situation where i had to borrow money from the company. They then reduced me to part time status which meant the company no longer paid my rent - inevitably - this gave me around 150,000 Won a month to live on. Understandable, I now want to leave th company but I do not know the deal with Visa's. If I get a job with another company does it mean i have to leave the country or can they issue me with another visa??? How much power does my current employer have over me??? If I stay with them until i pay them back all the money I owe them, I will be stuck here for 3 months living on 400,000 won per month. please can you advise me on the best option. Crying or Very sad
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is completely ridiculous. hope you have a copy of your contract, and sue the living day lights out of them
another old hand vet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Wish I would have posted my advice about hogwon jobs sooner Reply with quote

No doubt the Korean apologist will attack you and blame YOU for your situation. Of course, anyone who warns of the risks of the dishonest hogwon directors is paranoid, weird, a racist, etc.

Anyone who reads this account and is considering working in Korea should REREAD my suggestions and HEED them!
william beckerson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get someone who speaks Korean, who you trust, to go with you to the labour board and file a complaint. Bring your contract with you.
Lost Seoul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact your local Ministry of Labor board, for a list of regional offices go to:

http://www.molab.go.kr/English/abou/sub_3_2.jsp

Korea has minimum wage laws so it may be worth asking what minimum wage is, however if you owe the company money it may not apply but its worth asking nonetheless.
lawyertood

Location: Seoul, Incheon and the World--working undercover for the MOJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before we can give you proper advice it might help to get some more facts about your situation. Also, to keep others from experiencing your problem could you explain how you were put into a position where you had to borrow from your employer.

Generally, the Ministry of Labor is your best bet when experiencing problems relating to violations of the Labor Standards Code and a Korean friend you trust is essential to help you deal with them as they rarely have someone in their office who speaks enough English to help you.
Bruce Willis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See lawyertood's post on the E1 Visa --- good luck.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: