Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

for the Canadians, Toronto: good or bad?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

what do you think of Toronto
I love it! It's the center of the universe.
26%
 26%  [ 14 ]
Great place to visit but I wouldn't like to live there.
23%
 23%  [ 12 ]
The city is nice but not its people in it.
11%
 11%  [ 6 ]
The people are nice but the city isn't anything special.
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
Everything about that place just plain old sucks.
13%
 13%  [ 7 ]
Toronto??? Where's that???
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 52

The King of Kwangju

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panthermodern wrote:
This thread is B.S., every Canadian knows that every other Canadian already knows that Canadians not from Toronto already dislikes Toronto.

This is what I thought, too. But for 2 days now I've got Torontonians all round me talking about this article. Some of them are really surprised at what others in the country said about the city.

I've only been living here for a few years, and I never leave downtown, but I pretty much agree with what tommynomad said. Except the live music part - this place is teeming with it. And there are lots of girls, too.

It's an all right place, although I find it a little quiet and dull after Korea. But if I tell anyone this they think I'm crazy.
sillywilly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't like Toronto and used to live in its burbs. Its not friendly, its getting way more violent. In terms of going to party, everything is so spread out that it makes bar-hopping difficult.Culturally, I find it... stale.
poddubny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sillywilly wrote:
In terms of going to party, everything is so spread out that it makes bar-hopping difficult.

Shocked

too spread out?!? did you even visit the entertainment district, where 80% of toronto's bars and clubs are located? you can hit about 10 different clubs in one night, if you so wish. try doing that in los angeles, where every other night spot is 30 mins away.

hit an LA club and find you don't like it? too bad. you're stuck there.

hit a toronto club and don't like it? just walk next door and check out the next one. repeat as desired.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.O.'s a good town.

The public transit is an expensive joke and the burbs are disgusting but everything else is cool.
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_beaver wrote:
The public transit is an expensive joke and the burbs are disgusting but everything else is cool.

Maybe if you live in the sticks. Surprised But if you're at St. Clair & Bathhurst, like I was for a year, then the public transit was incredibly good by Canadian standards: Subway from half a block away, buses coming every fifteen minutes at THREE o'clock in the morning! I had no problem getting around by public transit and found it one of the major advantages of the city compared to the woefully short hours in Winnipeg, long waits and slow transit in Edmonton, and multiple connections needed to go anywhere in Vancouver. Only Montreal has a better transit system in Canada.

Korea tops any place I can imagine in terms of public transit service, and prices.
Manner of Speaking

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind Toronto, but what gets me sometimes is Torontonians who know ABSOLUTELY nothing about the rest of Canada. I remember meeting one chick in Ottawa once who told me, "I should come up to Northern Canada more often." Rolling Eyes
JAMZ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanIslander wrote:
the_beaver wrote:

Maybe if you live in the sticks. Surprised But if you're at St. Clair & Bathhurst, like I was for a year, then the public transit was incredibly good by Canadian standards: Subway from half a block away, buses coming every fifteen minutes at THREE o'clock in the morning! I had no problem getting around by public transit and found it one of the major advantages of the city compared to the woefully short hours in Winnipeg, long waits and slow transit in Edmonton, and multiple connections needed to go anywhere in Vancouver. Only Montreal has a better transit system in Canada.

Korea tops any place I can imagine in terms of public transit service, and prices.

st. claire and bathurst is a pretty nice part of town... just outside of dowtown but still close enough to make travelling easy.... really though public tranisit in toronto isnt that great... its not the worst but it really only works safely and efficiently in the core areas of toronto.... out in the east and west ends its pretty much only good in summer... sure there's lots of buses around but when you have winters that get down to -20 and colder the bus system just doesnt cut it... but still that doesnt take away from the fact that there's still alot of great things to do in the city
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manner of Speaking wrote:
I don't mind Toronto, but what gets me sometimes is Torontonians who know ABSOLUTELY nothing about the rest of Canada. I remember meeting one chick in Ottawa once who told me, "I should come up to Northern Canada more often." Rolling Eyes

That was my biggest beef too. Locals there are almost arrogant about it, though not really, they just assume everything important is in the T.O. area. It really is a pervasive assumption. Amazing actually. It's a cultural attitude. Indeed, Torontonians believe, as the addage goes, that T.O. is the center of the universe. It is more than just a stereotype.
JAMZ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think its fair to say that in a country as large as canada is its a little difficult for the majority of people to formulate a well informed opinion about the cities they havent lived in or visited for long
Chillin' Villain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, I hate to do this, BUT...

First and only time I've ever been to TO was a few years back. Went with my ex K-girfriend (visiting Canada, wanted to see Niagara Falls) from Edmonton to Toronto on the freakin' GREYHOUND. Most excruciating trip EVAR. Anyways, getting there, I totally felt like a country hick in the big city. I was stoked by pretty much everything I saw downtown. I would seriously just cruise around the streets all day, seeing whatever I could. The waterfront was kickass- concerts and events on all the time. Sorta made me laugh at Edmonton's claim at being Canada's "festival city", when it was just a regular thing in Toronto. I would definitely live there or Vancouver if I ever went back to Canada. One thing Vancouver's got though, Torontonians, is PRIME skiing accessibility. No denying that. Beaches, the ocean, and better golfing (I think), too. AND you can often golf in winter, there. Still, TO was pretty decent. I don't know much about the people's attitudes... All my Toronto buddies I know are from hockey, and they don't seem too arrogant about the city per se, but DAMN do they need to STFU about the Leafs, already! Humility, people!

(BTW, you do realize I'm comparing Toronto with Edmonton, right, so don't get TOO giddy about my glowing review... Haha. Edmonton's equivalent of a downtown is, um... nothing. Unless you count the world's largest, tackiest mall. I don't. Oilers forever, though, and I don't care what any of you have to say about how long ago the 80's were! Wink )
paperbag princess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toronto pales in comparison with montreal. toronto is too anal/anglo for my taste. the food sucks, it's impossible to buy decent bagettes, you can't buy wine at the grocery store and there's virtually no fashion (unless you think that le chateau or the gap is fashion).

i've been to toronto and i would live there if someone paid me lots of money to live there, but otherwise montreal is my canadian town of choice.
Homer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the T-dot is an ok city but as far as Canadian cities go, it does not hold a candle to Montreal when it comes to nightlife, restaurants and other cultural events.
Also to mention, people in Montreal are much more laid back (I have lived in both cities) then in Toronto.

The T-dot does have its advantages however, they are just hard to see for the rest of Canada who are tired of hearing TO whine and boast... Laughing
T-dot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
T-dot does have its advantages

Obviously my looks. I thought we were talking about Toronto.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanIslander wrote:

That was my biggest beef too. Locals there are almost arrogant about it, though not really, they just assume everything important is in the T.O. area. It really is a pervasive assumption. Amazing actually. It's a cultural attitude. Indeed, Torontonians believe, as the addage goes, that T.O. is the center of the universe. It is more than just a stereotype.

Actually, that's my biggest beef but with B.C., and particulary Vancouver, instead of T.O.

I come from a hick town on the edge of Northern Ontario (well, that's the place I call my hometown) and if I mention it to anyone from most Canada there's an excellent chance they've at least heard of it. B.C. folks have almost never heard of it. It's hard to talk to someone from B.C. without hearing about the fucking mountains and fucking trees and there's an assumption that everybody wants to move there.

Trees and mountains suck ass and, outside of Manitoba, there's nowhere in Canada I rather not live than B.C.
Patong Dong

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Torontonian I am used to the constant jabs of home, most of us enjoy it because obviously people wouldn't get their backs up if they weren't envious. I always thank people when they insult the city, it just irritates them more.

Some of the comments on Torontonians being rude are baseless. I cannot think of a time I have brushed off someone to give directions. If I came on this board and said I spent a day in Seoul and here is the skinny on it I'd be jumped on, same goes for your brief run-ins with Toronto or Torontonians. Every place in the world has its a-holes and morons.

Anyways, I think T.O. is the best city in Canada and I expect that others are of the same attitude towards their hometowns. Just because Toronto is the most important Canadian city doesn't mean we aren't allowed to show civic pride as well.

And to all those who like to say "so you're from Taranna", no Torontonian says it that way, we say pronounce it without the second "t".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: