Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The best place you've been...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulsajo wrote:
Is is just me, or is "the best place you've been to" more a state of mind than a location? Some of the places I've enjoyed the most aren't neccessarily ones that I'd recommend to others...
Yeah, I can relate to that..

Actually, its kind of funny.. because Korea is like that.. its not the best place I've been.. but I kind of enjoy being here.. but i'd never recommend it to anyone else..

I always feel obligated to add clauses like, well, its not for everyone.. and alot of foreigners don't like it.. but..

it probably sounds like i don't want them to come here! but really, i just know its not a place that has something for eveyone.. so that makes it hard to recommend.. but.. Wink
sparkx

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was living in a primary rainforest in Guyana, South America for 4 months. Sleeping in a hammock, being awoken by Howler Monkeys every morning, watching anacondas creep through the trees...damn I miss that place. When Korea gets frusturating for me I often think of my time in Guyana and literally laugh about my "hardships" here.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkx wrote:
I was living in a primary rainforest in Guyana, South America for 4 months. Sleeping in a hammock, being awoken by Howler Monkeys every morning, watching anacondas creep through the trees...damn I miss that place. When Korea gets frusturating for me I often think of my time in Guyana and literally laugh about my "hardships" here.
yeah, the hardships in korea are really minor in my opinion when you compare it to other experiences in other countries.. this is like joke-land.. i mean, if you have the proper references.. i find it extremely easy to live in korea as well.. (but all based on comparitive to other countries experiences).. if your only reference is some random english-speaking country that you never got out of before.. then of course it probably would be frustrating here at times..
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though only there briefly...

The Cape of Good Hope... the most beautiful place I've ever seen.

But for living there it would have to be Melbourne.

CLG
rapier

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazy lemongirl:cape town rocks! Climbing table mountain by ascending the waterfalls remains one of the most memorable days of my childhood.Also went to cape point. Interesting as the warm Indian ocean meets the cold Atlantic. in fact S. africa is simply beautiful in its variety of scenery.
As for the state of mind theory, I don't believe I've ever been quite so stned and warped as in Amsterdam. 2 days in the niteclubs, talk about losing track of time. its also friendly- you can hook up with just about anyone.
for pure energy and atmosphere, you can't beat 2 weeks on the guiness in ireland: you look like **** by the end of it, you can't remember it, but you know you've had an awesome time. Incidentally, I much prefer Belfast to touristy Dublin. The people are great...
saharzie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Israel and Lebanon are beautiful..northern israel is spectacular, the galilee, Hula valley and the Golan heights..
spent a summer there picking mangoes and bananas and getting wasted...good times...the women in israel are amazing.., but obviously I was there to observe the fragile peace process and not for any hedonistic pleasures...

a few pieces I wrote about my time there can be found at:

http://www.bootsnall.com/cgi-bin/gt/travelstories/me/feb02hebron.shtml

and Lebanon

http://www.bootsnall.com/cgi-bin/gt/travelogues/conor/index.shtml
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saharzie wrote:
Israel and Lebanon are beautiful..northern israel is spectacular, the galilee, Hula valley and the Golan heights..
spent a summer there picking mangoes and bananas and getting wasted...good times...the women in israel are amazing.., but obviously I was there to observe the fragile peace process and not for any hedonistic pleasures...

a few pieces I wrote about my time there can be found at:

http://www.bootsnall.com/cgi-bin/gt/travelstories/me/feb02hebron.shtml

and Lebanon

http://www.bootsnall.com/cgi-bin/gt/travelogues/conor/index.shtml
some good writing! I met a ton of Israelis as well during travels in South America.. those guys are tough! there are legends of attempted armed robberies upon israeli guys who ended up kicking the attacker's ass! damn those dudes are tough! and make great traveling companions.. and the girls are quite amazing.. all shades and colors from Israel, the country.. very nice

On the other side of the coin.. regarding muslims.. i've been pretty fortunate to meet a small handful of Iranians, Pakistanis, and Turks in Korea.. and i'd have to say that the Iranians in particular are some of the coolest guys i've ever met.. the Pakis aren't too bad either.. very intelligent and speak korean extremely well.. give them A+++ for that
ajuma

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your talking about PEOPLE, I'd have to say:

1. Korea

2. Italy

3. Czech Republic

4. US (some of them, anyway!)

5. Canada (see above!)

6. England

7. Japan

8. Germany

9. Switzerland

But if you're talking SCENERY:

1. Italy

2. Switzerland

3. Czech Republic

4 & 5 US and Canada, in no particular order

6. Germany (too flat for my taste)

7. England (granted, I didn't get to see much)

8 & 9 Japan and Korea (in no particular order) With the HUGE exception of Uulong-do which HAS to be the best kept secret in Korea! That place is AMAZING!!!
paulc

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that plenty of people has both praised, and dissed it - but I have to say that there is just something about Thailand.....

1. Thailand
2. Australia
3. Singapore
4. New Zealand
5. Japan
6. Korea
7. USA (west coast)
8. Hong Kong
9. Burma
10. Italy
11. Germany
12. Spain

13. France

And England doesn't really count... but it would be no 9 on my list.

I would consider living in each of the top three countries on my list. In fact, I did live in Australia for over three years, and had some of the best times of my life there.

Korea.... I guess it is growing on me (slowly) - but I don't think I will stay here for any reason other than to finish my contract...... although I may change my mind sometime later....

France, 13 - unlucky for some - it is a hellhole. The French hate everyone, and everyone hates the French, so why do people bother to visit the country Question beats the hell outta me....

I really want to go to the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam..... but my next vacation will be a trip back to Thailand (9th time there!)
sparkx

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You put Korea before Italy and Spain????

Let me know where you are getting your cronic hookup 'cause I want in on that action. It must be some killer mind f*ck bud.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger- why was vietnam #2 (or was it 3?) on your list? It was interesting and definitly a memorable experience but I wasn't captivated by the place. Maybe I was a bit burnt out on traveling when I got there, I don't know. Just curious why you liked iit so much.

I liked Thailand. I wouldn't put it #1 on my list but I enjoyed visiting it. Bangkok's temples were really cool and I just liked its vibe. My best experience there was being the only foreigner on a saturday excusrion on the Thai railroad that went from Bangkok to Kanachanaburi (sp?) and the death railway, then back to bangkok (super long day). Part of the thrill was being in a passanger car with a bunch of cute thai chicks, who spoke little to no english but hooked me up with some great food.

Personally I think Malaysia is the place to go for easy-access to quiet, nice beaches. I haven't hit the Phillipines though; probably should check that out. Where I want to go now is some group of islands in the south pacific. A fellow traveler told me he thought the cook islands were the best place he's visited and he had covered a lot of area in the world. Unfortunately its super expensive to get there. I'm also considering checking out the Marshall Islands.

Anyway, my favorite cities:

1. Hong Kong. Amazing backdrop to the city and very cosmopolitian. Transportation system is great, as is the food. Oh how i miss dim sum.
2. Bangkok
3. New Orleans (GREAT food and night-life)
4. Kuala Lumur. Not sure why, just dug the city.
5. Porto, Portugal. Actually just its central area, I didn't check out the surrounding area. I just remember coming through a tunnel and seeing the center of the city for the first time: beautiful. The setting is quite lovely. And very easy to get drunk: just go to the various wineries, all conviently located close together, giving free samples of their port wines.

I would add San Francisco, but that's my home area, so I'm definitly biased. I also have only been to two countries in Europe: Portugal and France. I was pretty young when I was in France, so don't have much of an opinion on Paris.
rapier

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B.B. likewise I wasn't overly taken with vietnam- the people too surly, hassling, and trashy in their behavior.They stand out from all their neighboring countries for that reason. Some of the little mountain villages up north made for exceptionally pretty scenery though.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
Tiger- why was vietnam #2 (or was it 3?) on your list? It was interesting and definitly a memorable experience but I wasn't captivated by the place. Maybe I was a bit burnt out on traveling when I got there, I don't know. Just curious why you liked iit so much.

I liked Thailand. I wouldn't put it #1 on my list but I enjoyed visiting it. Bangkok's temples were really cool and I just liked its vibe. My best experience there was being the only foreigner on a saturday excusrion on the Thai railroad that went from Bangkok to Kanachanaburi (sp?) and the death railway, then back to bangkok (super long day). Part of the thrill was being in a passanger car with a bunch of cute thai chicks, who spoke little to no english but hooked me up with some great food.

Personally I think Malaysia is the place to go for easy-access to quiet, nice beaches. I haven't hit the Phillipines though; probably should check that out. Where I want to go now is some group of islands in the south pacific. A fellow traveler told me he thought the cook islands were the best place he's visited and he had covered a lot of area in the world. Unfortunately its super expensive to get there. I'm also considering checking out the Marshall Islands.

Anyway, my favorite cities:

1. Hong Kong. Amazing backdrop to the city and very cosmopolitian. Transportation system is great, as is the food. Oh how i miss dim sum.
2. Bangkok
3. New Orleans (GREAT food and night-life)
4. Kuala Lumur. Not sure why, just dug the city.
5. Porto, Portugal. Actually just its central area, I didn't check out the surrounding area. I just remember coming through a tunnel and seeing the center of the city for the first time: beautiful. The setting is quite lovely. And very easy to get drunk: just go to the various wineries, all conviently located close together, giving free samples of their port wines.

I would add San Francisco, but that's my home area, so I'm definitly biased. I also have only been to two countries in Europe: Portugal and France. I was pretty young when I was in France, so don't have much of an opinion on Paris.

My list changed alot since that post.. which was February 8th.. now I would put Vietnam lower on the list.. and more latin countries higher on the list..

The first time I went to Vietnam I absolutely loved it.. actually I've always liked vietnamese-americans i've met.. and i value their high value on education, i love everything about there culture... i think the food is the best in the world.. but actually i do find the poverty (i.e. harrassment) overwhelming.. the first time i was just a tourist and liked everything about it.. and the second time i flew to hanoi to look around for work.. and after being stationed in one spot for a few weeks.. i did get severely burned out to the point that i knew i wouldn't want to live there..

Actually if I were to change the list.. vietnam would now be around #!0 or something..

Your list is pretty good.. i do like san francisco having lived for a year.. new orleans is a great city as well.. but a little too hot.. would be great to be there just for a few months out of the year.. and portugal has always intrigued me..
paulc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkx wrote:
You put Korea before Italy and Spain????

Let me know where you are getting your cronic hookup 'cause I want in on that action. It must be some killer mind f*ck bud.

Its not that I like Korea a lot, but that I hated France, Spain, Germany and Italy so much.....

In fact with how I feel about Korea after last night, I'm considering leaving quickly!
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hated france, germany, italy, and spain huh? Well i've heard nothing but bad things about the Spanish (snobby being the primary complaint) but I'm curious about the others. I've never heard anyone complain about Italy- in fact the opposite.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: