Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My visa is expiring soon. How many days left in Korea?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jane99

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: My visa is expiring soon. How many days left in Korea? Reply with quote

My visa is expiring next month. I'm wondering how long one has to get out of the country. Or should I just run down to the nearest immigration office and ask for an extension?

I would like to find another job in another city so in the meantime, do I have to leave the country soon after my visa expires? Or is there a grace period?

Thanks.
TINKERBELL

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that you have 14 days to leave after your visa expires. As well all know though, Immigration rules are highly inconsistent. Just for your own peace of mind I would get the extension. Might as well play it safe. Good luck jobhunting!
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Yes,Get the Extension First Reply with quote

Good advice.Get the extension.However,you will have to leave the country(at least briefly) before beginning another job.Commonly referred to as a "visa run".Lots of people go to Osak ,Japan.Others go to Thailand.You have to do this because your current work permit is job specific.For another position,you have to get another permit.I know.But I did not make the rules.If you think this is aggravating...it is nothing like the bureaucracy in some places in eastern Europe.

First,get that extension,It will cost you 30000 won.Take your current contract,passport,alien registration card,and hopefully someone who speaks Korean to help you.

If you do not get the extension,and overstay the visa,they will fine you when you leave,The amount of the fine depends on how many days you overstay the visa.Also,if you overstay,you may face complications getting another work permit when you come back.So keep it clean.Give them their paperwork,etc.First get the extension.Set up your other job,contract,etc.Then you will have to make the visa run.
Good luck.Oh,try to get yourself a good job.I know.I know.Anyway, be careful.One less person who gets burnt out there is good for all of us,in a way. Smile
Mashimaro

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me get this straight.. when my work visa expires, I can pay 30,000 won and stay an extra 3 months on a tourist visa? Correct?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: